Michelin Pro 4's vs Conti 4000S ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BobSantini

by BobSantini

56 and 84? Sounds very comfy.
I think that while the recommended front pressure may be fine for just riding along it's less than ideal under brakes.
In fact it may be dangerous.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

FWIW I'm currently running 110psi F/R, tried 90psi F/R but that felt to "soggy"

and I think I've derailed this thread :oops:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

russianbear

by russianbear

That calculator is not to be trusted methinks. Put 90 in the front 100 in the rear, riding tomorrow.

Mounted the PRO4 25 fatties on my scott cr1. Clearance in the rear:

http://i.imgur.com/dgewh.jpg

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

120 psi in both and go for it - never ride at 90 unless i've had a flat
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

edesigner

by edesigner

Just a heads up. Competitive Cyclist has the Pro4 Service Courses for 34.99 today.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

edesigner

by edesigner

Spindoctor wrote:£25 at Wiggle
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-s ... d_Tyre-Red" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool, since they are sold out at the place I posted.

..AND when I followed up MY order had been lost so I was out of luck.

Thanks so much for the link!

Liggero

by Liggero

What about Ultremos ZX 23 versus michelin Pro4 Comp Service course, or Pro4 Service course? Which ones are better and why?

I´m starting to hate my ultremos, as i've been using conti supersonic tubes of 50g, and a couple of times they scaped between rim and tired and exploded. Twice while inflating at home, one doing a rough sprint on a climb. I already switched to heavier tires to avoid this, but I'd like to return to 50g tubes with another tires, if that is possible. I think these new michelin would do the trick, but I'd like to have some confirmation.

Are these issues normal in Ultremos, as people already mentioned? will this happen also with 50g tubes and mich. pro4? thanks a lot.
Happy Trails !!!

qeaou

by qeaou

After riding GP4000s for a couple of years, I tried Pro4's, loved the grip on dry surface, excellent descents,
however got too many punctures, 5 in 2 months (always checked inside tyre, rim everything after a tube swap)
had to go back to GP's as my teammates would start hating me for the delays on rides...

Would definitely go to Pro4's again in certain conditions, but they are certainly not an all rounder (which they were not designed to be anyway)

weeshuggy

by weeshuggy

(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=85815)

Crc, £45 for 2 with free inner tubes. only in 23 mm though with 40 mm valves.

well every1 seemed to be posteing good deals :P

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

It's a pretty good deal except the tubes are the heavy A1s. If it was the Ultralights it would be excellent.
I wouldn't put A1s in Pro 4s. Save them for winter / rain bike tyres.

Toby

by Toby

qeaou wrote:After riding GP4000s for a couple of years, I tried Pro4's, loved the grip on dry surface, excellent descents,
however got too many punctures, 5 in 2 months (always checked inside tyre, rim everything after a tube swap)
had to go back to GP's as my teammates would start hating me for the delays on rides...

Would definitely go to Pro4's again in certain conditions, but they are certainly not an all rounder (which they were not designed to be anyway)

The puncture thing is what has me hesitant to switch away from the GP4K - which version of the Pro4 did you try? Was it the regular Service Course, or one of the lighter ones?

Irish

by Irish

Using Pro 4 endurance (Irish roads + fat git) so far they have been excellent. I have used Michelin tyres for years and have to say I think Pro 3 were a step backwards, these put Michelin back on top imho.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

900 miles and the pro4 top is squared on the rear tire pretty good. Even not alot of climbing..
Seems like half the life of GP4000s.. but the feel is more supple.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

russianbear wrote:That calculator is not to be trusted methinks. Put 90 in the front 100 in the rear, riding tomorrow.

Mounted the PRO4 25 fatties on my scott cr1. Clearance in the rear:

http://i.imgur.com/dgewh.jpg

that's what i pretty much run...although my front comes down a bit to 85 with the rear at 100.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc