Ventoux vs Hyperon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stuarts

by stuarts

kgt wrote:202 better hubs than Hyperons? Are you sure :?:

+1.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

kgt wrote:202 better hubs than Hyperons? Are you sure :?:

Disagree -1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

202 hubs better than Hyperon ultra II hub ? Please ... No way.

Back to the OP, I would go Hyperon as well.

And Fdegrove stop teasing us with these Neutron tubs ;-)

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

just a question in between, aren't the hyperon ultra tubulars the same wheels as the fulcrum racing light xlr tubs? i read that somewhere but there is a noticeable price diffrence between those wheelsets

kgt

by kgt

Differ in some details but in practice same wheels.

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

ok thanks.
you own one of both? if so, do you think the price difference is justified or do you just pay for the name campagnolo? and if you own the fulcrums, how do they perform? :)

teleguy57

by teleguy57

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

To those that don't want to spent the "plata" for the Hyperons, try to score a set of Neutrons for tubulars.
Fit a couple of Veloflex Carbons and enjoy the magical mystery tour..... 8)

Ciao, ;)

I have a set of Campagnolo tubulars that have Nucleon labeling. How are they different or similar to the Neutrons?

Still dreaming about a set of carbon tubulars, though:)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re the differences between the Nucleon and the Neutrons... The Nucleons were first, around 2000 I believe. They had silver bladed spokes. There was a copyright thing with the "Nucleon" somewhere and Campy changed the name to Neutron. The Neutrons had black spokes and there was a bit more milling done on the rims between the spokes making them slightly lighter, etc. Graphics changed a couple of times. That's it really, as far as I remember. I've had them both, still have the Neutrons although in a clincher version.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

eurperg

by eurperg

Are all Nucleon wheelsets 11-speed compatible?

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I was curious myself and searched the matter on Google, and I came upon this:

If you have factory-built Campagnolo wheels and are considering upgrading to 11 speed, read this first. According to the official Campagnolo website all Campagnolo wheels with a 9/10 speed freewheel body (cassette body) are compatible with 11 speed cassettes. This is misleading and is not strictly true as I have recently found out. I have two pairs of Campy wheels, Nucleon and Neutron (the later version of the Nucleon), and I recently upgraded one of my bikes from 10 speed to 11 speed. This bike had the Nucleon wheels on it however when I tried to fit an 11 speed cassette to it, the cassette scraped against the hub when it was spun, but when I tried this on the Neutron wheels the cassette fitted perfectly with no rubbing. The Campy 11 speed cassettes have a particularly deep recess at the back (deeper than 10 speed) and there is not enough clearance on the Nucleon wheel between the back of the cassette and the freehub. Comparing the two wheels, it appears that the freewheel body on the Neutron wheel stands about 1mm prouder of the freehub body than the Nucleon. According to the servicing leaflets, the freewheel bodies are identical on both Nucleon and Neutron wheels as are almost all of the internal components, so swapping over the freewheel bodies makes no difference. I have also taken the Nucleon wheel to Mercian Cycles in Derby, probably the most knowledgeable bike shop on Campagnolo in the UK. Even their chief mechanic Geoff was unable to convert the wheel to 11 speed as it seems that the freehubs on Nucleon and the later Neutron wheels are machined differently on the inside. The important observation is this: the original Campy Nucleon wheels are NOT compatible with 11 speed Campy cassettes despite what the official website says and they CANNOT be converted to 11 speed as they are internally different to the Neutron wheels that replaced them, which ARE 11 speed compatible and require no modification. Perhaps the only way around this would be to rebuild a Nucleon rear wheel using a freehub body from the later Neutron wheel, although this would be time-consuming, expensive and probably not worth the effort. This is a real shame as far as I am concerned as I think Nucleons are wonderful quality whees - just don't buy a pair thinking that you can run 11 speed on them. I have only experienced this problem with Campy Nucleon/Neutron wheels but it may well be that other factory-built wheels in the Campy range with older and newer versions might also have the same issues.

Source: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Campagnolo-Nucl ... 469/g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Calnago wrote:Re the differences between the Nucleon and the Neutrons... The Nucleons were first, around 2000 I believe. They had silver bladed spokes. There was a copyright thing with the "Nucleon" somewhere and Campy changed the name to Neutron. The Neutrons had black spokes and there was a bit more milling done on the rims between the spokes making them slightly lighter, etc. Graphics changed a couple of times. That's it really, as far as I remember. I've had them both, still have the Neutrons although in a clincher version.

Ah, thanks. Mine have the sliver spokes, which I actually prefer. Riding them with Veloflex Roubaixs and also with Vittoria Pave 24s. Both are very nice :)

eurperg wrote:Are all Nucleon wheelsets 11-speed compatible?
There seems to be some different experiences with that. My sample of one says "yes;" I'm running 11 speed on mine with no issues.

imageking

by imageking

I've had a fair few wheels (understatement)

I had a pair of the Ventoux Gen2... (sold) and I now have two pairs of Hyperon clinchers 2007 & 2013 Ultra2 versions .... (keepers :thumbup: )

Hyperons and Bora2 seem very robust and are my go to carbon wheels....
also still have pair of the Nucleons which are used on the 10speed turbobike & also have a pair of early Neutrons, and shamals (both on 11sp)... none of my campag wheels have ever had an issue.

I did have a pair of both Zipp 202 & 303 (2006 ish, not the recent ones), liked the rims but the hubs where plainly just rubbish
I've never touched Zipp products since (suspect they must have improved) ...except the VumaQuads

This autumn I'm favouring H-son archetype handbuilt on Chris King Ceramic front PT SLC+ with 25mm Conti 4 seasons ... or old (10 years) pair of campag record / ambrosia excellence with Vittoria Pave 24s
Oltre XR4 SR11
2xParlee Z1 Gloss SR11
Enigma Etape Ti SR11 +rack
Colnago K.Zero - LW12spoke/LW Disc
Pinarello Opera 90's steel Rec10

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I use Hyperons for my daily ride to work, Winter/Summer, and for a reason, I would not do that with Lightweights.
Hyperons do not look very special, but they are truly mount-and-forget wheels... The moment you hit a pothole and seconds later you just see the wheels spinning as straight as ever, you are happy you bought them.
Pozzato uses them in Paris-Roubaix, so I think of doing the same in the cyclo next year. Again, I cannot see me doing that with Ventoux.

I also feel that the 20 steel spokes in the front wheel do not deliver a whole lot of drag. I fear the Ventoux will deliver more, without showing big advantages in stiffness.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Hopefully the OP has made his choice in the 2 years since he posed the question, I have a similar one so I'll just carry on bumping this thread I guess.

I've long hankered after a set of hyperons and I'm getting low on cycling things I need to buy so I'm considering it finally... However I've got perfectly good Crono F20's laced to Record hubs, so I wonder if the Hyperons are different/better enough to justify when there's all manner of gleaming deep rim carbon crap I could get instead.

Just help me spend my money!

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Stick with the Crono's (my 2 cents).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com