HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 pm 

Some views on this would be great-

I want to get an extra wheelset for my Di2 build. I already have an Enve 1.45/Alchemy (Shimano) wheelset for this build. My other road bike is Campy.

I don't race but like to ride as fast and hard as I am able. I mostly ride in Surrey (UK) which is up and down but not mountainous. I do hit the mountains twice a year when I holiday in France. I'm not that bothered about aero as going an extra 30 seconds faster over a 4 hour hard ride is not important to me.

Is the 24 a climbing only wheel or is it suitable for general use?

Wheels are for a lightweight build sub 5kg with either choice and I want light but would go for extra 80gms for 42 over 24 if it is worth it.

The 42 I think do look better than 24 for what it's worth but will go for function over form.

Any guidance or thoughs on which I should go with would be much appreciated.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 am 

I'm curious too....although it's been next to impossible to get any dealer to sell an AX Lightness wheelset to me, for some reason. I write to them asking if they are in stock, and never get replies. Two dealers in Germany, one France, one in the US. No replies from any of them.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am 

Unless you are going for an ultra light build, Id stick with the 42s. They are really nice rims. I'm sure the 24s are as well, but the 42s will be more aero and lighter than most climbing wheels out there.

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:37 am 

I know it's sacrilege to say but I'm not that bothered about aero. I generally ride solo and don't race or time trial. Wind conditions will effect my speed much more than if I've got an aero set up or not.

It's really ride, stiffness and durability that interest me. If these factors are the same for both 24 and 42 I'd rather have the weight saving of the 24 as the wheels are for a lightweight build.

As the terrain I ride is up and down (not mountainous) I would rather enjoy zipping up and down hills than hitting times on the flat.

I guess what I'm saying is pointing towards the 24 but I'm interested to hear other peoples experience and thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm 

I will be able to add to this conversation really soon. Tracking information says I will be getting my AX24s today....built up around extralite hubs and the new Pillar Ti spokes (Sapim Rays were used on the rear drive side.) Total weight ended up being 773 grams for the set. I plan to put them through their paces on some long climbs in the Sierras this weekend. Ride report to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:50 pm 

Bikeman,

Could you pm me where you got them? I've been calling and writing numerous shops around the world...they are either out or they don't bother responding.

The problem with AX Lightness isn't just the company...it also seems to be who they choose as dealers. Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:12 pm 
WWotY 2007

We've got a couple of AX-Lightness rims in stock here.
Available within 24H after paiement.
24mm: 20h and 24h
42mm: 16h and 24h

If this could help anyone...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:35 am 

Hi,

Does anyone have the ERD of the srt 24 rims handy?

best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm 
Shop Owner

Another option is to go through your Tune distributor or dealer....Tune uses the both AX rims and have them on stock.
Of course this will involve ordering as it's very rare to find them on stock.
A plus of ordering through Tune is the ability to customize even more with different spokes, hubs, colors, etc.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:07 pm 

I just bought a set of wheels with Ax Lightness SRT24 rims, 2012 Tune Mig 45 Mag 150 and Ti spokes mixed with DT Aerolite on the rear wheel drive side from Adrien at RAR (Roues Artisanales). My wheels are 827g WITH stickers which is a great weight baring in mind the standard Ax/Tune/Sapim set is nearer 880g not the claimed 850g WITHOUT stickers. Adrien was monumental in helping me choose the wheelset I really wanted. He had all the options in stock and had my wheels built up and ready to ship within days of choosing (with Adrien's help) what I wanted. I'm bigging Adrien up here big time but that's because I am so impressed with the product, and his customer service, and I feel I owe him a favor as a result.

Last edited by konky on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:12 am 

I just ordered an SRT42 set from Dash. 16 front/20 rear Mira/Veronica hubs, cx-Ray black spokes. Should be around 890 g.

Can't wait to glue some FMBs on them!

Not mine, but should look like this:
http://www.cyclingtechblog.com/2011/07/ ... 42-wheels/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm 

Konky...any updates on the AX 24's? Would the Ti spokes all the way around be too flimsy?

CRUMPTON 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 pm 

Gum

A Ti spoke broke on the front wheel within a couple of hundred miles of use. As a result I sent both back to Adrien at RAR and got the Ti spokes changed to Cx-ray. Adrien replaced the front wheel Ti spokes for free and the rear ones at a very fair subsidised rate. Actually Adrien was more than fair.

The Cx-ray spokes don't really feel any stiffer than the Ti ones and they shouldn't be any more likely to prematurely brake but I just wanted to play safe. I'm in a different mind set to you with my Storck F0.6 build. I still want light (around 5kg) but am moving away from uber light. If my build was near your 8lb I might have been a bit more patient with Ti. At 830g the Ti wheel build was beautiful (thanks to RAR). They felt stiff, solid and were a great ride. I think I was just unlucky to get the premature brake. The real issue with Ti spokes is they usually don't last as long as steel spokes.

I have decided I want my F0.6 as an everyday hack so have bought a set of Dura Ace c35s which are everyday bombproof and are saving my Ax 24/Tune 150 wheels for mountain climb rides. I'm lucky that I've got 2 sets of superb wheels for my Shimano (Di2) F0.6. My other bike (R5) is Campy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 am 

bikeman71 wrote:
I will be able to add to this conversation really soon. Tracking information says I will be getting my AX24s today....built up around extralite hubs and the new Pillar Ti spokes (Sapim Rays were used on the rear drive side.) Total weight ended up being 773 grams for the set. I plan to put them through their paces on some long climbs in the Sierras this weekend. Ride report to follow.

Did I read that right?!?!?! under 800 grams for a wheelset?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:56 pm 

Sorry for not to be 100% on the subject, but found some interesting information here.

So, I'm just about to make final decision on my new wheelset. And have to say SRT42 are my favourites. 24 would be just weight exercise for me, with less practicality. Recently build low profile alloy wheels.
In the plan they will be laced to extralite hubs 47g/139g. The only one remaining "?" are spokes.

konky can you share your ti spokes' source? I'm trying to find the Pillar extra lite ti, eventually their steel spokes mega lite ss.
You've mentioned that the stiffness between cx ray and ti spokes wasn't an issue. My I know what your weight is?
Speaking about the spokes, have you guys seen somewhere, advertised few months ago, sapim cx super?

Go to page 1, 2  Next