Latest and greatest in stems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MaLóL

by MaLóL

sugarkane wrote:
MaLóL wrote:
sugarkane wrote:
MaLóL wrote:syntace f99 26.0
best stem produced so far imho.

Wrong! The extralite stems are THE best stems you can get and they just look so good!

Wrong!! extralite stem corners and edges look so weird. syntace f99 looks much better and the rubber inserts on the clamp is a very smart system. also its construction is much better/stronger, it has bigger bolts with normal allen hey. not so delicate as the extralite and well proven on test banks. also f99 comes with a great headset cap...

The look is subjective. I love the design of the extralite, the clean bolt-less rear end looks great on any bike and most importantly it's 20g lighter than the f99.. The small bolts arn't that fragle any more with the new torx head..

wrong again. look is not subjetive. I understand that extralite logo is very similar to parlee logo, that's the only thing you got right I guess, but the f99 looks much nicer, bolts behind look way better than in the middle, and are much more aero friendly. also f99 seems much more sturdy and although extralite might be a bit lighter, the diference is much less than 20g for sure. also syntace f99 logos are not so cheap and crappy as extralite. extralite logo looks more suitable for a tuned car from the fast and the furious movie.
Happy trails !!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Funny the extralite stems adorn more bikes on WW than the f99.. I'm not the only one that rates em a more desirable, the f99 is cheaper though.

And my 90mm stem weighs 77g the same length f99 is 98-100g
That's more than 20g ;)

r_mutt

by r_mutt

MaLóL is right. the extralite logo font is pretty ugly! i would disqualify it on that alone.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

sugarkane wrote:Funny the extralite stems adorn more bikes on WW than the f99.. I'm not the only one that rates em a more desirable, the f99 is cheaper though.

That's more than 20g ;)

my f99 is 105mm and weights 96g so... go lie to someone else.
Happy trails !!!!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:
sugarkane wrote:Funny the extralite stems adorn more bikes on WW than the f99.. I'm not the only one that rates em a more desirable, the f99 is cheaper though.

That's more than 20g ;)

my f99 is 105mm and weights 96g so... go lie to someone else.

that was the weight listed from the Australian importer..
the my extralite stem actually weighs 77g according to my scales that measure down to 1/10th of grams..

got a picture of yours on some scales :P
haha
you know its all a mater of personal preferance.. i really like the bolt-less rear of the extralite stems i think its a nice clean look..

if you don't like it you don't have to buy one.. there is no gun to your head :D

gitsome

by gitsome

I am surprised nobody has chimed in with the Enve stem yet considering this is WW for a number of reasons..... is there a consensus on this one yet? The latest reversed-engineering of alien technology, god's latest gift to mankind, a good stem but heavy at 120g or so for a 100, pretty good but overpriced, just another stem... etc etc?

I was looking at one for a rebuild of my Moots SL to go w the new fork, though I liked the Arx LTD on the 595 so much I might just get another (but then again so boring to have 2 of same stems)
Attachments
5911690571_182ecf048d.jpg
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Feex

by Feex

(but then again so boring to have 2 of same stems)

Ha.....this is so true.

I have the f99 on my mountain bike but am determined to find something else for my roadie. At the moment it's looking like the ARX Team. Although I saw the ENVE stem yesterday and it looks pretty sweet.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

zipp sl speed stem is superawesomelooking, and pretty light too.
zipp's service course SL stems are nice enough, and affordable.
for a change from an F99, maybe an F109. if that's not enough change, you can find them in polished black in some lengths, they came stock on some SWorks mountain bikes.
i cant suggest ARX team stems, i'm too tired of trying to dig out broken ti bolts (4nm, still broken).

personicus

by personicus

Preface: 78 kg Track Sprinter with a 1800W kick.

I've found that after a certain point headtube junctures, wheels, and steerers will cause more notable flex than your cockpit.

Some thoughts on bars: Too wide and too deep cause flex. If you're really a watt-buster who's after a stuff set up don't go wider than 42cm. If you go too deep, it makes a larger lever for you to flex.

Stems: Longer will flex more, take a look at the Deda Zero100, ProVibe 7s, Cavendish, or Track Edition as well as the Thompson (I haven't ridden the X2 or X4 but have seen it used by several other track riders)

I ride a Pro Vibe Cav in a 135mm (the length causes some flex but it's negligible to me) as well as the Pro Vibe 7s Traditional (Aluminum, non-Cavendish version)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To build a stiffer sprinting bike, take the whole front end into account; fork, wheel, not just bars and stems.

Forks: ENVE 2.0 or EC90 SL have been my favorites. Run it slammed, the less steerer exposed (distance from bearing) the less flex you'll feel from it.

Wheels: I haven't found one that truly satifies me on the road. After tossing around my buddies Mavic IO, road wheels feel floppy. The DuraAces and the ENVE 2.65s have felt pretty good to me, but I don't have any vehement recommendations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of that being said, a stiff cockpit is more for your comfort in the sprint than performance advantages. 99% of high end equipment will take care of you just fine.

Privateer

by Privateer

Thanks Personicus, that's the most intelligent contribution to this thread thus far.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I think it's time to bring out the big guns...sorry Carbon2329 :lol:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

gumgardner wrote:I think it's time to bring out the big guns...sorry Carbon2329 :lol:

is that a NoRa?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Sorry for the small image. It's the AX Lightness Zeus.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

The 85kg weight limit worries me.. Not to mention 3 times the price to save 15g, bring back the knee un-friendly bolts in the rear and the most un elegant bar clamping system imagined by man kind... :roll:

There are better was to waste -€900

Sorry gum I love every thing else you bring to the table for the record!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

...you know you want one :wink: