Latest and greatest in stems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whoizrob

by whoizrob

Looking for a stem for a super six himod. I am more of a sprinter than a climber and am looking for a stem to compliment that. I know people used to like the Pro stuff but it's been a while since I looked into stems. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rob

wasabi1

by wasabi1

3T ARX Team, Black-on-Black

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Shimano track PRO, most burly carbon stem out there, if you take a 120+ length:
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/publish/con ... PR506.html

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It will be interesting to see if the new Deda Trentacinque 35mm standard makes much of an impression. I hope not. I do not like this oversizing trend. It is not the most creditable of design initiatives.

slicedbread

by slicedbread

Valbrona wrote:It will be interesting to see if the new Deda Trentacinque 35mm standard makes much of an impression. I hope not. I do not like this oversizing trend. It is not the most creditable of design initiatives.

Nope every store in the neighbourhood is putting them on sale. Hard to force people into a standard. And if you hold the bars something just doesn't feel right...

Roeboe

by Roeboe

I would love to test the deda 35, but i am not willing to pay the amount of money they ask for it just to test it. (I guess that's what a lot of cyclists think.)

theremery

by theremery

I remember one of the gurus on here explaining that the 26mm standard is actually better for carbon ( It had something to do with wall thickness vs weight) and as the high end is going that way....I can't see an even larger than OS standard getting established. The oversized trend was helpful with ALU.
Anyway.....back to the topic:
I just followed that PRO link.......weight FROM 235g.....they have heavier ones than 235g?? :shock: <- I went and checked....the VIBE stem is only 115g (assuming that is the 80mm)

What is your weight and power output? Is rigidity the ONLY concern you have? Perhaps we can find something else for you.
Ritchey WCS 4AXXIS are cheap, lightish (about 100-120g depending on length and if you use Ti bolts) and rigid enough for most people. You CAN flex these stems but more flex comes from the bars than the stem with a normal bar.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

sawyer

by sawyer

Ritchey is good as themery says.

Syntace are also pretty stiff. I was suprised shifting from a Planet X Alu Stem (Team something or other - their best one) to a Syntace F119 how much stiffer the front end became on my 585 Ultra (bars in both cases were Syntace Racelite Carbon Gen 1).

Deda Zero are not that stiff IMO.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I just put a Extralite UL3 on my bike. Some say its not stiff. I haven't noticed anything though. I've just been riding on rollers though, maybe once I hit the road it'll be different or maybe people just like to say stiff. :wink:

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

They're not 'stiff' as a Thomson but I find them more or less as stiff as your average Ritchey or Deda or New Ultimate etc. For a Stiff stem you need to go to the Pro Cavendish or such. Besides you need a laterally stiff front wheel, a stiff fork, def no carbon spacers and & stiff bars for a Stiff stem to make a diff.
rolobikes

KWalker

by KWalker

most people overblow the amount of stiffness they need just as they overblow how light of a bike they need. i've yet to meet someone that truly is hampered by stem stiffness and know quite a few successful elite and pro racers.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MaLóL

by MaLóL

syntace f99 26.0

best stem produced so far imho.
Happy trails !!!!!

ehudk

by ehudk

Syntace 119 without a doubt.

kgt

by kgt

andy2 wrote:For a Stiff stem you need to go to the Pro Cavendish or such. Besides you need a laterally stiff front wheel, a stiff fork, def no carbon spacers and & stiff bars for a Stiff stem to make a diff.

exactly

Mikmik

by Mikmik

the 35 initiative was probably for guys with big hands. I have the OS gear but still double wrap my bars not for vibration dampening but for comfort of grip. I didn't even know there was a 35 available :noidea: ....I probably would have bought it.
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com