Latest and greatest in stems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoncolan

by Zoncolan

Thomson X2 ftw

Plain graphics too so you can use it with any bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whoizrob

by whoizrob

I am a bigger guy at 185lbs, can reliably put down 1000w in a sprint but at my best was about 1200W. I want a stem which is good for my favorite kind of riding such as crits but also don't want to get beat to hell on longer rides. That it sort of why I chose the Hi-mod over a CAAD10, it just felt a bit smoother and at 36 my body doesn't enjoy the beatings it took when it was 18 and riding a Cannondale 2.8 =P

So I am looking for a good blend of something not too noodley but also comfortable. Weight isn't really an imperative (I've been fading from weeniedom after realizing however lightweight my KCNC CB1s were, they just plain sucked). I like the 3t ARX but will look up a few of the other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Rob

gitsome

by gitsome

I have 3T Arx LTD on my 595 and love it, never knew I'd be able to tell the difference (previous was Deda Zero100 and Rotor Sx) or give a sh*t about a stem but it is WAY more stable and solid feeling, love it...
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Biff

by Biff

theremery wrote:Ritchey WCS 4AXXIS are cheap, lightish (about 100-120g depending on length and if you use Ti bolts) and rigid enough for most people. You CAN flex these stems but more flex comes from the bars than the stem with a normal bar.

I like Ritcheys WCS 4Axis stems.I have used different lengths of the standard,the 44,the 44 for 1 1/4 steerer (Canyon).Be sure to get the "44" version if you want a little extra stiffness.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I peak a 1500w sprint and have a 5sec avg output of 1350, the Ritchey stem is OK, but I like it a little bit stiffer.

I used Ritchey WCS alu bar/stem earlier, but I'm now on 3T Arx pro/Ergonova pro and like the added stiffness a lot. I'm guessing the bars have more to say on this than the stem itself.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:syntace f99 26.0

best stem produced so far imho.

Wrong! The extralite stems are THE best stems you can get and they just look so good!

gumgardner

by gumgardner

They do look the part 8)

1415chris

by 1415chris

Nobody mentioned this beauty

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

1415chris wrote:Nobody mentioned this beauty

yea na...

gitsome

by gitsome

I did! Still have Rotor on the MTB and its great, never thought it would hold up as well as it has, it would be my #2 choice for road.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

devinci

by devinci

its not like a "soft" stem will get your sprint wattage drop by 50W... And a stiff stem wont beat you on a long ride... There is so much more to it.

As someone previously stated, I dont think stem stiffness is noticeable for general road riding and racing.

ellipsesx

by ellipsesx

1415chris wrote:Nobody mentioned this beauty

I think because of the unusual way to install your bar.
the screws of the front plate have on both sides thread and that is unusual .

MaLóL

by MaLóL

sugarkane wrote:

Wrong! The extralite stems are THE best stems you can get and they just look so good!

Wrong!! extralite stem corners and edges look so weird. syntace f99 looks much better and the rubber inserts on the clamp is a very smart system. also its construction is much better/stronger, it has bigger bolts with normal allen hey. not so delicate as the extralite and well proven on test banks. also f99 comes with a great headset cap...
Happy trails !!!!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

MaLóL wrote:
sugarkane wrote:

Wrong!! extralite stem corners and edges look so weird. syntace f99 looks much better and the rubber inserts on the clamp is a very smart system. also its construction is much better/stronger, it has bigger bolts with normal allen hey. not so delicate as the extralite and well proven on test banks. also f99 comes with a great headset cap...

The look is subjective. I love the design of the extralite, the clean bolt-less rear end looks great on any bike and most importantly it's 20g lighter than the f99.. The small bolts arn't that fragle any more with the new torx head..

Echo

by Echo

Not the craziest, lightest, flashiest or probably stiffest stem out there, but I've been riding a FSA OS-99 Aluminum stem for a few years now, and its never let me down. Not to mention, at only 113 grams for the 100mm version, its not heavy either. Yes, there is lighter, but I would be willing to bet, that for the money, you can't do much better...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com