AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

daryl1

by daryl1

Brakes seemed to stop pretty well on rollers the other day, really need to get this clear coated and set up for the road :lol:

I challenge you to a game of find the omega!

BmanX

by BmanX

You cannot angle the bike like that and then say find the Omega.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Forget the decals and just clear coat that bad boy.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

daryl1

by daryl1

You caught me with that angle :)

Unfortunately the frame would look a bit funny without decals on the downtube. The plasma 3 mechanical is really a hack job of the original plasma TT. For the bottle cage bosses they basically cut out a part of the frame and glue in some metal inserts (they aren't molded in). I ended up smoothing that portion with some bondo and spraying it black, so there is a bit of a rectangle that is black around that area. This is so I can apply the decals over the bulge for the bosses.

http://university.tri-sports.com/wp-con ... ma1415.jpg

I'll post another thread for the bike, don't want to spam this one too much.

To clarify, the omega brakes seem to be as good as the tektro centerpull setup I had on my nosecone shiv, which is pretty darn good.

Mikmik

by Mikmik

What aero chainring is that?
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Mikmik wrote:What aero chainring is that?

Looks like a Rotor Q-Ring with the previous generation graphics. I had the same on mine before they updated the graphics.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

bones

by bones

Braking definitely won't be as good as the stock DA or Record brakes though.

BmanX

by BmanX

No it will not but to be honest those brakes are total overkill anyways.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

bones

by bones

BmanX wrote:No it will not but to be honest those brakes are total overkill anyways.

Whatevs. I have been on old single pivot brakes ages ago. And I really like the brakes of today from the high end models from Shimano and Campy. Better braking is never overkill for me.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

No road test yet, they only dropped onto my door step this morning, but will take them out on wednesday nights Club TT. Very firm feel on the turbo anyway, and enough spring tension to return my levers (which are unsprung).

Really slick setup, although i'd hope as much given they are pretty much designed for the P3 (which is what I've put them on.)
A little effort required to set them up well, but not much more than any other single pull brake. Had a little bit of fun around my corima disc, but thats more due to it lovely wiggle than the brakes.

Onto weights, I actually bothered to weight one before I put it on the bike.

Everything in the box including all the extra mounting hardware comes in at 144g!

one complete brake in stock form weighs 123g, 1g less than claimed :up:

With a few lighter bolts and trimming the excess from the mounting bolts I got this down to 117g.
Would love to tell you what i used but they were just light weight bolts lying around in the bits box.. :noidea:

I was using stock 7800 calipers before, So have lost loads of grams of drag with these brakes and a 75g in weight!

(Photos on scales to prove will be uploaded later)

Although much improved on any aero brake I've tried against the rear stays of the P3. I might try to make a subtle electrical tape fairing to smooth the small step up from stays to the brake.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I have raced the TriRig Omega in two TTs, one flat course with three fast turns(i.e I didn't use them) and the other an out and back on a rolling course. Also, I have used them in three crits and one road race. I am light at 62kg, but have been searching for a way to get some good braking on my carbon hoops(November, HED, and Bontrager) and have found it with these brakes. I have used Cane Creeks 200SL which are fine on AL, but didn't come close to cutting mustard on the CF stuff. I then swapped to an Ultegra 6500 and while that was much better, I still was sketchy about my slowing. The Omega has given me the utmost confidence in the most technical crits (which one of the three is) and in any RR, where everyone had me wearing my brake pads out today.

Not sure how the gold standard compares or how a heavier rider is going to find them, but I do know I am no longer looking for a brake that allows me to brake when I want. The pads were the same on all the hoops.

I think they might be pretty areo too. :wink:

TriRig

by TriRig

:thumbup:

That post just made my day. Thank you, Stalkan!

Mikmik

by Mikmik

It's been a few weeks.

Pics?

Ride reprts?

Aero numbers?

What is going on?????

I am sweating on results people!!!!

:D
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

Dalai

by Dalai

Juanmoretime - if you got a thin hex head bolt, could you not use this to attach the plate to the frame by using an open ended spanner rather than allen key? I have the same issue fitting the Shimano AX brake to the rear of my Cervelo P3. If I understand correctly, the Plasma fitting sounds very similar to the Cervelo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Okay, looks to be a different design to Cervelo. Pity it may not fit!

Would love to buy the brake off you, but have been buying too much of late and need to stop... :oops: