AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

I think the EGG on the back with OMEGA on the front would be a good combo. Double OMEGA would be better. :D
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

@Juanmoretime I had to remove the cover and cable hanger piece in order to install it on my p3, your photo has been deleted so i can't see whether this would work for you or not? I then re-assembled the brake in situ.

Edit:- just found a photo online of the plasma 2 rear brake area, would it not work if you spaced the omega out further by using multiple serrated washers, not the most elegant solution I realise!

They do brake fabulously too, although they were only used 3 times on last nights TT!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Heres a couple of photos of my rear brake, trying to improve the aerodynamics with a little bit of gaffer tape and card. :)
Original view, at approximately 20degree yaw

Now with added fairing:-

I think this should help smooth airflow round the edge of the brake which was sticking out a little. and its relatively stealth modification in real life.

Dalai

by Dalai

Wouldn't get that past the commissaires here...

BmanX

by BmanX

Chances are he is a triathlete and the regs are most likely not that strict where he races.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Dalai wrote:Wouldn't get that past the commissaires here...

That is clearly structural and provided by the manufacturer.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

UK TT scene, their own regulations not UCI ones! Only 1 UCI race per year, the sporting National Champs (as opposed to the fixed distance champs run by the UK TT body). 2 seconds to remove a bit of tape and card before hand.

daryl1

by daryl1

Wow, very cool. I may have to try that on my fork!

Does anyone know where you can get "gaffer tape" in the US? It looks like black duct tape.

TStorm

by TStorm

Seem like da same thing to me as well

daryl1 wrote:Wow, very cool. I may have to try that on my fork!

Does anyone know where you can get "gaffer tape" in the US? It looks like black duct tape.

clarkson

by clarkson

Yes, just semantics. Gaffer tape = Duct tape

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape wrote:While related to duct tape, it <gaffer tape> differs in that it can be removed cleanly because it uses a synthetic rubber adhesive rather than a natural rubber adhesive.

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

Yeh any tape will do as long as its sticky enough. You only have a few millimeters of brake to attach it too so has to be strong enough to resist the wind. I just used the same roll of tape that I use for my disc wheel valve holes.
the bit of card just gives it a little structure to prevent deformation/ballooning under the wind that will hit it.

I'm guessing it will only save 1w at most, but the sharp edge of the rear of the brake was annoying me.

mythical

by mythical

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EE brake in this topic, given its small frontal surface area profile and a cable routing that sticks out less than most other brakes. Not to forget their awesome performance and minimal weight. Just thought they'd deserve to be mentioned. From a frontal view mine don't protrude outside the fork and headset profile nor the seat stays in the rear and the cable narrowly brushes the top tube and seat tube.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

BmanX

by BmanX

I actually think that the EE brake on the rear with an Omega up front might be the perfect match. EE is totally flat in its design so it is like the wind hitting a wall.

I will be doing this set up on a couple of bikes maybe.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Mikmik

by Mikmik

mythical wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EE brake in this topic,

that may be because the EE brakes are ridiculously expensive
It's not how much you spend on a bike it's how hard you can ride it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com