AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Nick if you are looking at the pics, give me a week or two and I will have the bike professional done at work in our studio. The pictures will be much better than the crappy cell phone.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

daryl1 wrote:
BmanX wrote:create some shims and it should take care of things.

Do you have any pics or a better description? If I put washers between the pad holder and the arm it would increase the toe in, not decrease (which I am looking for).

I don't know if I would fiddle around with the pad holder at all. When I first installed it, I had the threaded collar pop off very easily. Nick was great and sent a replacement, but it's been an issue for others as well, which is why he reduced the tightening spec to something so low (2-3nm). Any more stress on that part and I could see it potentially failing.

BmanX

by BmanX

I know others that have done this so I will give it a try as well. If not then I will just use an EE brake on the back.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

There ought to be a longer bolt on those shoe holders. If the bolt threads went to the base, right where the pad is, the entire threaded portion would be supported by the bolt and that break wouldnt happen.

daryl1

by daryl1

Looks like I shouldn't mess with it.

BTW, I think the cable pinch bolt that came with the brake isn't the right one. The flat end one (you can look up the different types on mcmaster's website) seems to hold the cable much much better.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

new delivery, fitted this evening and spent a while setting up. race tomorrow.

I like the looks of it - and that's half the battle right?

pina2

by pina2

So what are alternatives to the SRAM Red aero brakes, which would have similar aero properties and weigh 250g or less, and have to brake as good. Usability has to be good, meaning I am not going to put up with calipers that need adjustment every time I take a ride.

Any suggestions are welcome...

DMF

by DMF

The Sram Red Aerolink brakes aren't any more aero than the next non-aero brakeset just because they threw the word 'aero' in there... Look at Magura RT8C, this is the version that mounts to mechanical levers. All other aero brakes are pretty much very far from comparable performance vice with ordinary Red brakes. You just can't have centerpull or a short non-protruding side mounted lever arm and get enough leverage for decent performance.

But the RT8 is probably more than 250g, and I doubt it is actually very aero, no matter what Magura claims.

Non-powerful true aero brakes, Simkins Egg, TriRig Omega...