any opinions on the '06 Eurus wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Really, they look like Fulcrum Racing 1s with the G3 rear spoke configuration.

As an 'everyday' set... some racing... mostly training rides.

http://campagnolo.com/wheels.php?gid=2&cid=4

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

from Campy.com...

Eurus ™ 2006 wheels have been completely restyled and are really light, weighing just 1,510 grams.

Campagnolo is this year introducing the concept of a differential profile for the Eurus model, i.e. a 26-mm extrusion profile for the front rim and a 30-mm extrusion profile for the rear rim. Tests run at our laboratories have shown that this is the solution that currently provides the best results in terms of performance and reliability. This solution in fact gives a light and very steerable front wheel and a stiff and responsive rear wheel.

The rims have been lightened in toroidal form between the spoke insertion zones, i.e. in the section of the rim where diameters can be reduced without lessening the solidity of the structure.

Special milling in the section opposite the joint ensures dynamic balance during rotation of the wheel, a new concept enriching this year's range.

The rims have a top bridge that is free of holes . This means considerable weight saving - because there's no need of fitting any rim tape - and gives the wheel greater torsional stiffness and vertical elasticity.

The ultra aero aluminium butted spokes are arranged radially on the front wheel and the rear wheel has G3 ™ spoking. The rear rim has asymmetrical holes to improve wheel dish.

The aluminium hubs are oversize with aluminium axles and self-aligning bearings. The flange of the rear right-hand hub is oversize to increase torsional stiffness.

Eurus wheels use the new Campagnolo aluminium freewheel body and pawl carrier housed n a single part, thus achieving a notable weight reduction.

Eurus ™ wheels are available in the silver and black versions and are compatible with Campagnolo® and HG drivetrains.

Karbon

by Karbon

I think the Fulcrum Racing1 wheels are a nicer design, but I wouldn't buy either of them, they fit into the Ksyrium mold of not aero, not light IMO. For the money you can get more aero and lighter wheels, or just lighter wheels.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Really, they look like Fulcrum Racing 1s with the G3 rear spoke configuration.

As you may know already Fulcrum is closely related to Campa so it's not surprising to see a lot of the Fulcrum engineering ideas incorporated in the new 2006 Campa line of wheels.

Having a set of 2005 Eurus myself I can only say that they're by far the most carefree wheels I've ever owned.
As a matter of fact I've not even had to look at them once.........

For training wheels you can do a hell of a lot worse than the Eurus IMHO.
Heck, you can do a lot worse for any road purpose, period.

Go for them, you won't regret it.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

I would try to find a pair of the 05 Eurus that use cx-ray spokes instead of the 06 that have the alloy spokes.

kAb

by kAb

Rich I've been looking at these as well, I think I'm going to replace my ksyriums with them (the black ones) for everyday use. And I think I'm going to sell my wheels and possibly my frame and AC Carbons for some Lightweights

HXTi

by HXTi

I've asked several times about this wheelset and nobody seems to know much about them. This forum seems to dislike ksyriums and so naturally would dislike other aluminum spoked wheelsets. I see three wheelsets that are competing for the same market...fulcrum r1's, eurus 06 and ksyriums (sl2 or ES etc). Most people agree though that ksyriums are bombproof though some seem to crack at the rims (my originals never had a problem) and I always seem to hear people with both eurus 05 and sl2's commenting that they like their eurus 05's better. The ES's and R1's are priced too high with no clear advantage and so that leaves the ksyriums sl2's vs eurus 06. On paper it would seem the eurus wheelset would be stronger with a deeper dish rear rim 30mm and offset spokes and who knows how the g3 patterns helps or hurts. I have no idea about the quality of the hubs on the eurus 06 but if the reworked hub is even better than 05 I can't see it being a problem. Either way I'd love to hear a good report about the new eurus. I would think it can only be better than before which might mean better than ksyriums.

How's that for pure logical deduction with no experience to back it up. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

I would go with 05's as the g difference is minimal. Either way they are flat out tough wheels and are more aero and lighter than ksyriums. Bladed spokes with bad nipples and flat section rims are not that aero as on the mavics. Campy hubs have been nothing but good and the 06 isn't a step backwards. I just think they could have done a little more in the weight department. I TT on them and Zipp 303's and have the best time's still on the Eurus 05. As for G3, I cyclocross on the Scirocco which are G3 front and rear and have never put them on a truing stand. Of course the rims are heavier, but so is the punishment.