Schwalbe Ultremo ZX vs Ultremo DD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

steel515

by steel515

RMcC wrote:I have been using the DD's for a while now and the rear tyre has massivly cut up recently. There are a few pretty deep cuts in the tread but hasnt punctured. I was a bit worried about riding on it but thought id try it on a local hill at slow speed. I had no problems and have done a few other rides on it. I was a bit disappointed it cut up so badly but at least it didnt puncture with cuts that deep.

I agree with this. No tire is indestructable, try to find them @$30, rather than $60, they are disposable items. In your case try michelin/vittoria/specialized armadillo training tires?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ticou

by ticou

Been v. happy with zx. Keeps 130 psi v nicely, rear lasted over 8 months on shitty roads with porky bearin' down, two punctures, still riding the front zx. My go to fast tyre. DD is a winter tyre.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Few comments on the subject.
I have not ridden on ZXes yet but the new 2013 models have an upgraded puncture protection belt - now it is Vectran based (V-Guard) compared to 2012 SpeedGuard. I weighted few of each type and here we go:

2012 Ultremo ZX 23mm SpeedGuard - average 192 grams
2013 Ultremo ZX 23mm V-Guard - average 201 grams

The look is virtually identical with the exception of smaller print past ZX letters indicating compound, perf line, ...

I am planning on testing the 2013 line in 2 weeks together with few other tires while training in the warmer climate :mrgreen:

Ultremo DDs: Their Double Defense protection layer is more in-line with 4-Season rather than Gatorskin IMHO (Durano is more like a Gatorskin). All Ultremo DDs run narrower than indicated by approx 1.5 mm. I use DDs 25 this winter and like them a lot. Definitely more grip and more supple ride than Miche Krylion. Anoter rider who has been testing DDs and compared them to 4-Seasons indicated a bit less grip on DDs but definitively better and more supple rolling.
My DDs have only approx 1,000 miles on them and shape is still really good, with few cuts but no flats so far (using latex tubes here).

P.S. I just received several pairs of 2012 Ultremo ZX 28mm (have not placed them in webstore yet). I want to measure their real width and test them against 23mm to see if I can detect any of the "wider is faster" thing (not that I want to start another thread here :evil: )
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Just FYI. A friend of mine did some test rides on 2012 Ultremo ZXes and generally liked them a lot. Here are some measurements made by him:

"Installed both tires on Mavic SL wheels; which have 15mm width measured inside the rim hooks. Outside width is 19.5mm.
Measured width on the front 25c tire: 23.6mm and on the back 28c tire: 26.4mm"

So the Ultremo ZX run narrower (same as DDs)
www.tiremaniacs.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

P.S. I just received several pairs of 2012 Ultremo ZX 28mm (have not placed them in webstore yet). I want to measure their real width and test them against 23mm to see if I can detect any of the "wider is faster" thing (not that I want to start another thread here )

I'm just going to slip this in: maybe it's time for manufacturers such as Conti and now Schwalbe (let's blame Tour magazine as well while we're at it) to realise that there is no such thing as a low rolling resistance tyre with such a low true TPI count.(No matter how hard they insist on fooling themselves in the lab)
One which, to add insult to injury, they insist on bracing further (effectively reducing suppleness a good deal once more) with all sorts of so called high-tech anti-puncture belts.

Having personally enjoyed thousands of kms (without a single flat) on Schwalbe's own, admittedly pre-aged, Milano tubular tyre which BTW has great grip, no puncture protecture whatsoever, weighs only 250g a piece... Which is not bad at all for a tub with a butyl inner tube....and best of all is unbelievably comfortable to ride on.
O, almost forgot....You could buy the small miracle for say inbetween 19 to 30 Euro each. And that for a tubular.

Naturally, this little gem which has even received good press, has been phased out only to be replaced by a similar product with belts and brace bien entendu.....Duh, duh??

Why am I telling you this? Well, being old enough and almost wise enough, I see companies trying to invent all kinds of chemical formulae to make a tyre like this and that while all the time there's a simple recipe to everything. A Bit KISS I know but bottomline is that they're bending over backwards to dazzle you with all kinds of novelties that makes they're product look better on their (advertising) paper.
So, Ultremo and me ranting aside, imagine the Ultimate as a true racing clincher that would truly roll on a real road. With or without a fine latex inner tube....?? Can be done.
After all the rubber compound is there, high tpi cotton or silk canvasses aren't rocket science either, slicks roll better (with minor reservations) and who says we can't age tyres at the factory using some secret alpha ray to make them raceworthy puncture resistant right off the shelf?

Rant off//

Ecxuse me for putting this little bombshell here and yes, I do have an axe to grind as I see once again a fine product being ditched for something no one's waiting for. Net result will be that that product too will soon disappear as it has lost its raison d'etre.... Plus ca change....

Just ignore this if it upsets the brainwash somehow. I'll start a new post and we'll take it from there.

Enjoy the tyre, ;)

P.S. More venum: The Ultremo is the first tyre developped in Europe thanks to your leggs and bruises..... :?
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Well said.
www.tiremaniacs.com