TT Bike build is complete

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PinarelloPrinceSL

by PinarelloPrinceSL

My TT bike build is complete!!

Frame/Fork - Planet X Carbon Monocoque XL size
Headset - FSA Orbit IS Carbon
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo Record English Thread
Crank - 2003 Campagnolo Record Carbon 55X44 (54T option available)
Chain - Campagnolo Record C10 Ultra
Cassette - Campagnolo Record 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21
Brakes - Campagnolo Record with Zipp carbon brake pads
Shifters - Campagnolo 10spd Barend
Brake Levers - Tektro Carbon
Stem - Deda Newton 12cm
TT Bars - Deda Aeroblack self drilled for Tektro cable routing
Aerobars - Deda GCB
Tape - Deda Black
Front Derailleur - 2005 Campagnolo Record 34.8mm band
Rear Derailleir - 2005 Campagnolo Record
Disc Wheel - Corima
Front Wheel - Corima 4 spoke
Tires - Vittoria Corsa CX
Seatpost - Planet X Aero
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR
Bottle Cage - Tacx TAO
Pedals - Time RXS Carbon

Optinal wheels Corima Aero tubular for when the 50km winds come up...

Bathroom scale weight - A Hair under 18lbs!!

Now I have to wait until next year for some TTs... :evil:
Attachments
The machine
The machine

swiftyer

by swiftyer

UMMM....SWEET!
:P
Im prety much a newb when it comes to road biking(Me and my Solosit ya know) but I know cool stuff when I see it. How much did that set you back?
Compete like your in First
Train like your in Second.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Is the nose of your saddle really about 4 to 5 inches behind the center of your bottom bracket axel? You must have a really long femur, otherwise it may be difficult to develop power in this position.
More than 10 years a Weenie!

PinarelloPrinceSL

by PinarelloPrinceSL

Its actually only about 6cm behind it... 1cm within legal :D The angle of the pic probably makes it look like more.

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Its actually only about 6cm behind it... 1cm within legal The angle of the pic probably makes it look like more.!

That is good. You certanly have the gear to cut scorchingly fast splits now :D

PinarelloPrinceSL

by PinarelloPrinceSL

Yeah... I did a bunch of gear calculating and found with the 55 ring I was getting more of a gear I was looking for overall... I'm not counting on pushing a 55X11 unless its a long downhill portion or the typical 50kmh winds :shock:

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

Yeah... I did a bunch of gear calculating and found with the 55 ring I was getting more of a gear I was looking for overall... I'm not counting on pushing a 55X11 unless its a long downhill portion or the typical 50kmh winds

I wasn't referring to the "gearing" I was commenting on all that top notch equipment you have :o

PinarelloPrinceSL

by PinarelloPrinceSL

Hi,

Price wise, it may look like alot of $ but I honestly did not spend too much on it.

The Frame/Fork/Seatpost comes as a complete module which I got from England. These are the FF that Planet X has as a special 700 pounds. Well since I am in Canada, the VAT comes off of there which was another 15% I beleive? So by the time I got the frame it was roughly $1200 Canadian shipped to the door. The Disk and 4 spoke I got a wicked deal on previously. The majority of the other parts I got from totalcycling.com For example the Deda Aeroblacks over here are listed at something stupid like $800, I paid not even half of that WITH the GCBs as well.

All I can say is if you do your shopping correctly, you'll pay half of what the LBS charges where I am... alot of people will flack ya for not supporting the LBS but why should I pay the same price for the second line component when for the same price I can get the topline component AND some other odds and ends...

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

Hi there
I would to find out how you find the Planet X frame now after some 2 months of use. Any complaints?

Did you also consider the HED V04? Which other TT frame did you consider buying, if any?

Thanks

FORT TT

by FORT TT

That is sweet. I thought about buying that frame once, but I couldn't afford it. But Jeeeeeesus it looks cool!

Cool choice of parts 2!

Tippster

by Tippster

PinarelloPrinceSL wrote:Hi,

Price wise, it may look like alot of $ but I honestly did not spend too much on it.

The Frame/Fork/Seatpost comes as a complete module which I got from England. These are the FF that Planet X has as a special 700 pounds. Well since I am in Canada, the VAT comes off of there which was another 15% I beleive? So by the time I got the frame it was roughly $1200 Canadian shipped to the door. The Disk and 4 spoke I got a wicked deal on previously. The majority of the other parts I got from totalcycling.com For example the Deda Aeroblacks over here are listed at something stupid like $800, I paid not even half of that WITH the GCBs as well.

All I can say is if you do your shopping correctly, you'll pay half of what the LBS charges where I am... alot of people will flack ya for not supporting the LBS but why should I pay the same price for the second line component when for the same price I can get the topline component AND some other odds and ends...

UK VAT is 17.5%

great looking TT bike you have there...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

the planet x frame is a very good tt frame! and for the price...unbeatable, i think.
the only thing i would offer as an option is another seatpost(like the kuota kalibur), wich has no setback, to bring the saddle more forward. i know there's an uci limit, but at my bike the saddle is mounted as far as possible towards the bar and still is 1,5 cm behind limit. and you could also cut the nose off and mount it even further towards the bar. i don't know if e.g. triathletes have this rule, if not they surely would mount saddles further/go for a steeper seat angle. since the frame is 700 or now 800 pound, they could make 850 pound with the 2 different seatposts, so everyone could find his position.
but for everything else the frameset was superb, also it was perfectly packed with airbubble-plastic(no idea, what this is called correctly), no paint/clearcoat in the bb or other threads, etc.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

If there is enought seatpost tube...just cut head away. And steal clamp parts from New Ultimate,Tune etc 2-bolt seatpost or make yourself. Then drill one hole for "bolt rod" and sand head to curvy shape far frongt of post head as possible. Push to head some foam to avoid water getting in. Now seat will go more front and it's lighter than orginal. But I really haven't seen that post but this should work.

Just my first thought....

Edit: Looked Planed X site and seat angle is bit roadish. 75-76 would be better to UCI and 78 would be also, just seat put back.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/inde ... on=345:345

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

simon wrote:the planet x frame is a very good tt frame! and for the price...unbeatable, i think.
the only thing i would offer as an option is another seatpost(like the kuota kalibur), wich has no setback, to bring the saddle more forward. i know there's an uci limit, but at my bike the saddle is mounted as far as possible towards the bar and still is 1,5 cm behind limit. and you could also cut the nose off and mount it even further towards the bar. i don't know if e.g. triathletes have this rule, if not they surely would mount saddles further/go for a steeper seat angle. since the frame is 700 or now 800 pound, they could make 850 pound with the 2 different seatposts, so everyone could find his position.
but for everything else the frameset was superb, also it was perfectly packed with airbubble-plastic(no idea, what this is called correctly), no paint/clearcoat in the bb or other threads, etc.

I believe they have not. This thing is indeed a bit a disadvantage of this frameset. Furthermore it look really great!

Superb TT bike you built up, PinarelloPrinceSL. Really nothing to add. :thumbup:
I really like the 2003 Campa Record cranks. They were more beautiful, I think, and aren't they a bit lighter? Very exquisite nice crankset.

PinarelloPrinceSL

by PinarelloPrinceSL

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Someone asked how I was liking it... in all honesty I never really got to ride it much after I got it. Temps were hovering in the mid 40 F for alot of the fall season here, and I didn't want to brave the weather too much, The days where it did warm up I spent on the road bike.

The few times I did ride it, I found it to be a very nice and comfortable ride even with the stiff wheels on there. The Carbon frame absorbs the road shock very well.. this is my first full carbon frame / fork combo. I got 3rd place this year at the Provincial TT champs for my age group, and 11th out of 50 overall riders.. not bad for being out of it for a few years, and my job (pilot) doesn't really allow the dedication to training I would like to put into it.. sometiems I work a 12 hour day 2-3 days in a row, which means the training really suffers...

I did not have the TT frame for the championships, I was using my old Pinarello Paris in a TT configuration.. I couldn't get the bars low enough on the Paris to be in an optimal aerodynamic position in my opinion...

I also spent sometime analyzing gear charts and wrote a few computer programs which generated tables for me telling me the speeds at various RPMs for a wide gearing selection (53-54-55 front rings) I actually found that the gearing I like is optimally with a 55 tooth front ring.

If anyone has anymore questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com