SRAM news brewing...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ufgators

by Ufgators

Anyone know if the new front derailleur is compatible with the old shifters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm not sure ... seems from what I'm reading any combination of 2011-2012 Red (or is it "2013"?) will work, it's just for the best performance, you want the front shifter, crankset, FD, and cassette. Be interesting to see how the FD works in isolation.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I think you have to get used to it. I don't think it looks cheap. It looks different and a little bit (too much) MTB.
I don't like the chainrings.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Permon

by Permon

kgt wrote:still looks so "cheap" :(

I am really not a SRAM fan, but honestly I like the new RED group. The appearence is great by my opinion, the weight is sooo low, the performace seems to be fine (reported in the first ride reviews), the YAW FD looks to be working, the CAM brakes also.... Simply a step forward. :thumbup:

The only thing they failed is 10speed. Actually, I really do not need 11speed system, but Campagnolo proves that it works great, Shimano is about to bring it soon, so SRAM will be the one who does not catch the trend :noidea:
Last edited by Permon on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js

by js

If you follow the links that have been posted in the last 24hrs, it has been stated that the Cable Pull ratio on the new FD is in fact different then previously used. I can't imagine that it would be too terribly far off, but it is apparently more then just the trim function that isn't meant to be used with the new FD. The end result might still be workable with other adjustments, but there is a reason to state that it is not compatible.

So once again, because it's been asked a few times "the new RED Front Derailleur is not compatible with the old shifters"

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

poppiholla wrote: It looks different and a little bit (too much) MTB.

That's funny. I saw it and the thought that struck me was: "I need a cx bike!"

Maybe because Tim Johnson was staring at me, but it does look like an off-road group to me, too.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice review from cyclingnews:

New Red may be lighter in total than old Red but the front derailleur and chainrings have actually gained weight – grams very well spent, if you ask us.

Comparing group weights in total is dangerous because light bikes don't use full groups, anyway. A lot of the weight savings is off the crank and brakes. I use a Lightning crank and Zero Gravity brakes anyway.

I like the look. I don't care if it started on MTB... Seems like they've done a really nice job.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

The chainrings make it look like a mtb grouppo imho. I like all the other parts except for the bulky brake release

celeste55

by celeste55

Is the chain keeper removable? It seems like that could interact with some frames in a negative way.
There is nothing lighter than a hole

KWalker

by KWalker

I love this quote from the CyclingNews review: '...still not on par with Dura Ace'.

How hard is it to get front shifting right? I'm glad its better, but shit.

I don't see much appeal for the group. It has no advantages if you:

-Use a heavier duty training cassette.
-Use a powermeter or non-group crankset.
-Use non-group brakes.
-Have no issue with the current ergos.

Kind of a fail. Seriously almost 5 years to do this? Maybe its just a ploy until they drop a next gen group after 9000 comes out.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Front "antiSchleck device" is actually an option.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

@Kwalker: 1744g for a complete grouppo is very very good! Overall in total it is the best mechanical grouppo at the moment. Dura Ace is also very very good and for some aspect maybe better, but much heavier.
Campa Super Record is expensive and heavier. also very very good. At this level the differences are small and it depends on personal taste.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

KWalker wrote:I don't see much appeal for the group. It has no advantages if you:

-Use a heavier duty training cassette.

I agree: a Red-level cassette is race-day, in my view, although Recon also does nicely for that purpose and is lighter and cheaper. But I see a lot of riders tooling around on Red cassettes.

-Use a powermeter or non-group crankset.

The Quarq is non-group, isn't it? It's S900, not Red. Key it seems is just the chainrings. While not all chainrings work on a Red crank, seems Red rings should work on other cranks.

-Use non-group brakes.
-Have no issue with the current ergos.

Well, this last point is self-evident. I'm a Jan Heine fan and he made a point to dig up an ancient Ciclo derailleur for his "dream bike", and he likes rod front shifters. He'd argue derailleurs haven't improved for 60 years. I disagree...

In the Red, outside of the brakes and crankset, the hood ergonomics are better and the front derailleur is better. Rear derailleur has more capacity and better pulleys. Basically everything which could be better is better.