Aluminum isis drive crank suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HXTi

by HXTi

I made a post about the mega tech system and I still haven't been able to figure out whether I can fit cranks for outboard bearing systems. (anybody with info on whether this fits...FSA didn't even know when I called...right now I'm kind of assuming since they said MOst (pinarello) is supplied by FSA/mega tech that it would work after looking at LJ's pics) I like the dura ace 10 cranks and the ZG's look great (depending on price). However in the event that I can't get them to fit and work properly then I need to look at ISIS drive cranks if indeed I do commit to this standard.

I prefer a silver finish for ti frames. Am I stuck with black FSA energies or gossamer cranks? I'm not anti-carbon but this forum (and mtb) seem to complain about the carbon cranks breaking at the spider or having the aluminum threads fall out. Maybe I just need to be convinced of carbon but you guys seem to agree that aluminum cranks are stiffer.

Anyways I'm just asking for suggestions or info on anything new in the near future.
Last edited by HXTi on Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

As I've said before, Shimano through axle style will work. From what I'm told, FSA's spindle is the same diameter, so in theory should work with the Shimano specific MOst BB.

The Zero G's won't work, they use a larger spindle.

Here's the thing, you can get the adapter to thread in a standard English BB into the MOst system, but then you're defeating the entire purpose of the oversized shell. The idea is so that you don't have to use oversized/outboard bearings. It would be like putting in a 1.5 head-tube and then putting in a shim to use an 1-1/8th HS. Catch my drift?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HXTi

by HXTi

Hey nexus,

I think I'm just confused. I totally get your drift. It would be stupid to get oversized BB and then stick a regular outboard bearing on to it to fit the crank. I thought looking at LJ's pics that you simply remove the isis spindle and could slide the shimano through axle through the BB and place those fat cups on either side to take up the extra space where the outboard bearings would normally be. Then you wouldn't be adding extra weight at all. Or that maybe you just need a shim between the bearing and through axle to take up the space but the point being you still don't need to thread in outboard bearings since the cups would replace them.

However I don't know what the various diameters are of the spindles and if the isis spindle for MOst BBs are the same diameter as the isis spindles for mega tech (since FSA says they supply pinarello the BBs). If they are different then what LJ says works for the PARIS would not work for mega tech. Either way the point of all this was to use a bigger BB shell for more welding space for the DT without siamesing stuff or squishing it etc.

Anyways thanks for replying to my post. :)

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Let me see if I can make myself a little more clear and hopefully get you clear;

If you use a MOst BB as in a Pinarello for a new Shimano 10-speed crank, you don't use the Shimano BB at all. There are bearings specific to the BB Shell that have the correct inner diameter to slide the shimano crank through, and dust-caps to take up the extra space between the bearings and the end of the spindle. If the diameter of the FSA Mega-Exo spindle is the same, the same concept applies, though I don't know if the dust-caps are the right size.

Campy and ISIS are an entirely different story. There are specific bearings that press-fit to the spindles for MOst. I don't know if the Megatech bearings/spindles are the same as the MOst. It also has dustcaps (which is the problem that LJ had with his Dogma FP, they were too wide for him to fit his crank properly).

The ISIS and Campy spindles are specific to double ring set-ups, you can NOT use a triple on a MOst system using ISIS or Campy, it can only be done with the new through-axle cranks like 10-speed DA and Mega-Exo FSA cranks. I would guess this is true of both the Megatech and MOst systems.

You really can use just about any cranks you want with the MOst system (except for ISO square and triples but who wants those?) with a little bit of work, without having to use any other bottom bracket or the adapter. If you want to use octalink or ISO square or a triple, you have to go to the adapter and a seperate BB, but then you defeat the purpose of the system.

Hopefully that's straight-forward enough to be clear. It's a whole lot easier to explain when you've got one in your hands to show someone, it's hard in this text-environment.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

nexusheli wrote:
Hopefully that's straight-forward enough to be clear. It's a whole lot easier to explain when you've got one in your hands to show someone, it's hard in this text-environment.

Good explanation nex. Agreed its quite a bit easier to show someone visually. The pitcure of the Paris shows the system for a shimano integrated axle. The silver cups (dust caps/end caps/whatever :lol: ) have a 24mm diametre for the axle. They actually rotate with the cranks on the bearings and allow for the integrated crank to slide through.

Sybarite can give us the technical slant on this if he's about?
Attachments
DA1.jpg

HXTi

by HXTi

Nexus...you are totaly right about trying to text explain something. Pics are worth a thousand words. However you have made things crystal clear and finally I am starting to have some closure on this matter. SIGH................. :D

I am wondering if the outer diameter of the bearings are the same for MOst and mega tech. The idea of having specific press in bearings for dura ace 10's axle diameter really clears things up and would be my choice at this point. (with an eye on whether they'll have ZG axle specific bearings in the future).

I guess if the outer diameter of the bearings are the same for both systems then one could technically just buy MOst bearings for dura ace 10 cranks and mate it to a mega tech shell voila have it all set up like LJ's pic of the Paris. I don't know if there are any patents to worry about with MOst if the bearing outer diameters differ. I asked about making a custom shell for Cannondale's hollowgram and somebody mentioned about patents and such.

Any additional thoughts on this. Again thanks so much you guys.....it really was starting to get a bit frustrating trying to figure it out.

LJ let me know when you can how that paris is working out as far as creaks or noises etc. Thanks

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I asked about making a custom shell for Cannondale's hollowgram and somebody mentioned about patents and such.

For as long as it's for your personal, non-commercial use there's no need to worry about patent infringements.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jalapeno

by jalapeno

HXTi wrote:I made a post about the mega tech system and I still haven't been able to figure out whether I can fit cranks for outboard bearing systems. (anybody with info on whether this fits...FSA didn't even know when I called...right now I'm kind of assuming since they said MOst (pinarello) is supplied by FSA/mega tech that it would work after looking at LJ's pics) I like the dura ace 10 cranks and the ZG's look great (depending on price). However in the event that I can't get them to fit and work properly then I need to look at ISIS drive cranks if indeed I do commit to this standard.

I prefer a silver finish for ti frames.....

FRM CU2? Got some on my Merlin, they look ace with black rings.
-------------------
Gravitas est meus Hostilis
Painted Roads Cycling: http://www.paintedroads.com
Words: http://mikesimagination.wordpress.com

divve

by divve

I know Seven has made a couple of custom MTBs with Headshok compatible head tubes. I'm pretty sure they could make a BB shell as well if you buy a bike from them.

Karbon

by Karbon

jalapeno wrote:FRM CU2? Got some on my Merlin, they look ace with black rings.

jalapeno, got a picture?

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Sybarite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com