BAUM Corretto review or comparison?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

What Tinea said. Let us keep it on topic. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

OK, Ive done a bit of a search and without wanting to bother the guys at Baum, what kind of dollars are we talking about?
Ive never seen one up close let alone ridden one so all this talk in a bit academic to me, I was just wondering what they are worth.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

If you go to Above Category's website, they have prices listed in USD there for all of Baum's road bikes.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ha, ha, yeah. When I was perusing the Baum website last night, I had what I thought was one of the most frequently asked questions, but which wasn't in the F.A.Q. or anywhere else apparent: How much do the sons of bitches cost? And then the second question would be how long is the wait?

The Above Category website does have prices for Baums, but it is hardly obvious what is included for the prices shown. They are listed under bikes (not under frames), and the pictures show built up bicycles, which might lead the naive to believe the prices are for built up bicycles (despite no parts lists being provided). My guess is that the prices are for frame and fork (and perhaps headset and some minor frame-related doodads) - is that correct?

metanoize

by metanoize

HammerTime2 wrote:Ha, ha, yeah. When I was perusing the Baum website last night, I had what I thought was one of the most frequently asked questions, but which wasn't in the F.A.Q. or anywhere else apparent: How much do the sons of bitches cost? And then the second question would be how long is the wait?

The Above Category website does have prices for Baums, but it is hardly obvious what is included for the prices shown. They are listed under bikes (not under frames), and the pictures show built up bicycles, which might lead the naive to believe the prices are for built up bicycles (despite no parts lists being provided). My guess is that the prices are for frame and fork (and perhaps headset and some minor frame-related doodads) - is that correct?

Give Above Category a call or email them.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

In response to the OP - I own a tricked-up BMC Pro Machine (Lightweights/Di2/Enve fork) in addition to a Corretto. Since getting the Corretto 12 months ago I have ridden the BMC exactly 6 times - I enjoy the Baum far more for the riding I am doing -which is longer longer distances (for me) and hills. Besides the custom geometry which suited my shortleg/long torso build better than an off-the-peg frameset and the renowned springiness of the Ti (which makes climbing and longer distance riding a pleasure) the standout ride quality feature compared to the BMC is its descending prowess which is something I specifically requested from Darren - fantastic.

My Corretto with 2011 SR and Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels tips the scales at 6.95kg which in my view is quite respectable

The finish quality is - as often reported - excellent in my view

On the strength of the ride qualities of Corretto I am now building a steel-framed bike and must admit have little interest in acquiring a new carbon frameset in the near future.

BTW - In my neighbourhood a Pinna Dogma or Willier 7 frameset will cost me $1000 more than my custom Corretto frameset did so for my money the Baum is a good buy (and the Pinna will weigh 100g more). The other readily available custom Ti option available here is a Passoni - which would cost me another $4K more the Baum and has a longer lead time.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Rush

by Rush

In Australia at the moment the Baum is comparable in price to other high-end bikes. The high AUD (brought about by the countries mining boom) does make them very expensive compared to US or European equivalents for overseas buyers.

But that isn't Darren Baum's fault is it?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

metanoize wrote:Give Above Category a call or email them.
I would if I was thinking about buying one.

andyindo

by andyindo

HammerTime2 wrote:
metanoize wrote:Give Above Category a call or email them.
I would if I was thinking about buying one.

Last I checked the basic(non GTR scheme) Ristretto was £3000+. They go up from there I think.

musket

by musket

andyindo wrote:Baums are lovely. But they are VERY expensive for what they are. They are probably one of the most, if not THE most expensive handmade bike out there, and with that they dont offer freedom over the look of the bike. I have no bone to pick with them and they would be on my short list if it wasnt for the fact that their basic steel Ristretto without the GTR paint scheme costs more than a C59, or a custom carbon bike from Sarto, or a custom Speedvagen, or Pegoretti Marcelo, or or etc.

Awesome bikes I'm sure they are, and I can understand their decision to keep control over the image of their bikes. If you have the money then cool, but they are hellishly expensive for what they are, and I dont believe that Baum is hands down the best builder in the world. I'm sure he's very good, but there are a lot of very good builders out there for significantly less money

Were Baum based in a country like the US where there are more builders, and therefore it's easier to make real comparisons, meet builders / see bikes etc, they'd be half the price. That they're not is great for them, and if people will pay the money for them then their business model is clearly working. I've seen issues with a few Baums that seriously undermine the 'perfect' QC people are talking about.

If you get a good one - ie the geo is right for you and QC perfect, then I'm sure it'll be a lovely bike. They're well put together and the material means it will be better than many / most carbon bikes.

With regard to the posts about legit debate about Baums being shut down, I agree completely. I have had multiple PM's from one of the mods here every time I've posted a negative comment about a Baum (or more correctly, preferred something else). I don't really expect this post to still be here (or thread to be open) for long. This is despite the fact there are many other boutique brands here that are often subject to negative reviews.

jooo

by jooo

musket wrote:I've seen issues with a few Baums that seriously undermine the 'perfect' QC people are talking about.
Yet you fail to be able to provide any insight?

Rush

by Rush

It's puzzling that all those who post positive stories about Baum on the internet are owners..i.e. 1st-hand information.

Yet all the negative / dissappointed stories are always from someone's mates or friend...i.e. 2nd-hand information.

Personally, if I had stumped up $$$$'s on a whiz-bang frame and it
a) Handled like a bus
b) Flopped around like a wet noodle
c) Cracked within a few years

I'd be more inclined to raise awareness about it on the internet rather than suffer in silence.

The other aspect re : positive stories on Baum is that they are usually from very experienced riders who have ridden multiple frames for comparison. Of course you are always going to get 'positive confirmation bias' when it comes to big ticket items (i.e. I spent lots of money on it, therefore it must be brilliant) but Baum's market is to an educated and aware cyclist, not someone who buys a Pinarello Prince as their first bike because they want to go riding with their mates on a Sunday.

TMK001

by TMK001

laager wrote:
Plugger14 wrote:... as far as price is concerned - baum produce ... in what is a massively labour intensive process and they sell for roughly the same price as a mass produced high end European bike...

Bollocks. I can get a full custom geometry high end Italian manufactured frameset for half the price of a custom geometry Baum and I guarantee you that the Baum is crap in comparison to that frameset. They are overpriced and there's really no denying it. I'm not saying they aren't good, simply they aren't value.

I got a full custom geometry high end Italian bike... then I got a Baum. I still have both and the Baum is better by a mile. Look into the whole price thing before you go jumping to too many conclusions. You might be surprised.

I have more money left in my pocket for this:
http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/11/b ... -corretto/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Than my mate has for this...
(Not to mention he already upgraded to a Dogma which has already been superseded by the Dogma2...)

Did I mention I'm a huge fan of Baum? Its a pleasure to ride, even when hanging in the gutter chewing the stem. I did 271km on the weekend on it and I felt good on Sunday afternoon when the whole team went to bed for 4 hours before presentations and I'm not a fit bloke!?! Magic? Or a good bike under me? I made my choice. I think I was well informed. I didn't rob anyone to pay for it. I didn't sell drugs, I didn't sell myself... I saved my money over 6 months from the time I ordered and paid for it and it has been a pleasure since! We've had adventures, crashes, broken bones and parts... I'm still in love with it!

elviento

by elviento

Looks like most of the debate comes from the vastly inconsistent pricing that varies wildly from one country to another. So let's not focus too much on pricing, coz you could well be talking about something very different.

That said, several owners have said Baums are in a whole new class above [insert name of top end bike]. I can't help wondering what that exactly means? "Ride quality"?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

kgt

by kgt

Whenever I hear about a frame's "magic" ride quality and ultra performance I think of the multiple "reference" frames in this forum during the years.
Baums seem to be a late reference. Storck fascenario was a recent one. Parlee and Ruegamer have been also a similar reference. Cervelo a few years ago. Even Scott CR1.
All these were presented as the "ultimate" frame miles ahead anything else. At the end all these are just trends.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com