BAUM Corretto review or comparison?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tigoose

by tigoose

when i ride past someone on a Baum i cannot help but think of how much someone spent on having all the parts and wheels put in the place they are. I had` a lust for ti but a noodle of an older De rosa titanio cured me of that. Once owned a TST made frame which was excellent just too small a head tube.
Sure they're fiine bikes but so is my 98 aluminium Fondriest that really goes forward when i crank it.
just saying

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If I can ever afford another Ti it'll be a Baum but it will have the same geometry as my Merlin's...if that's not available then I won't be getting a Baum. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

I have never ridden a Baum, but have seen a few in the flesh and have a couple of friends who own one. They look stunning. I have heard nothing but amazing things about the whole experience. They are expensive though, almost ridiculously expensive especially compared to other Ti builders who I'd say are capable of producing a frame of comparable quality. That said, there is something about the complete package that Baum offers that just makes it so desirable. The quality, the tube butting, the geometry (I like that they all seem to look like they have appropriately sized headtubes), and of course the paint and decals. I probably wouldn't buy a MTB from them, but road, for sure.

I can understand the frustration people have with not being able to "design" their own paint (given the price) but frankly, in my experience, the majority of people that want to design their own paint scheme shouldn't be. Their bikes would end up looking like some of the cheesy crap that Spectrum Powder Works puts out, flames and gradients and all sorts of other nonsense. From a brand perspective, I think their decision to stick to stock paint scheme and only customize the colour is a good move, it helps preserve their look and feel. If the aesthetic doesn't appeal to you, you aren't going to buy a Baum. The GTR scheme doesn't quite do it for me, but their classic downtube logo and panels paint scheme is perfection.

I am currently building up a Lynskey R330, its my stepping stone. My entire budget for the bike probably only would have got me a frame and fork at Baum, but I still lust after one. I have the colour and decal scheme in my head! One day in the future, I will give Darren a call (or more locally, Blacksmith Cycles).

bonedpwinkle

by bonedpwinkle

I just recently went through a similar thought process. I'm a wee little fella, so it's hard to find a carbon bike that isn't tooth rattling stiffer than I need it to be. Gave up a Gold series Orbea Orca simply because it killed me on longer rides. I mean seriously, how stiff of a frame does a 135lb guy need?

That said, I went on the hunt for a custom frame. Wanted to create one frame that would do both road and cyclocross, with just a change of tires. Always wanted a Parlee, but the quoted price was pretty intense. Looked at Ti builders but pricing was pretty similar to custom carbon for what I wanted. I ended up going with a custom carbon from Alchemy Bicycles and could not be happier.

The frame is so stiff under sprints and climbing but oh so pleasant on the rough roads around here. Never thought it was really possible. They told me they could do it, but it seemed like voodoo to me. I was wrong, it's possible. Don't write off carbon if you want the best of both worlds, Alchemy (and I'm sure some others) can catch lightning in a bottle, for real. Oh, and no restrictions on paint, it was the hardest decision of the entire process. ;)

metanoize

by metanoize

Everybody has a story to tell, and we can argue forever about Carbon vs Ti vs Steel. I've had all of them. But now I only ride Ti. All three are amazing materials. Buy what you feel comfortable with, from whomever you're comfortable with their design and aesthetics. Every builder approaches geometry differently. Get a fitting, compare numbers, do your homework.

For me, this my ultimate ride for the last 13000 miles in the last 12 months, and plan to do the same this year.

Baum - Corretto: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metanoize/7004692437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nspace

by nspace

metanoize wrote:Baum - Corretto: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metanoize/7004692437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome build! Classic decals FTW!

How do you like the Kurve?

metanoize

by metanoize

The Kurve - Chameleon is awesome. Again personally, I had to go through so may saddles to find this one, and before this saddle, I've never liked any Fizik saddles!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

metanoize wrote:Everybody has a story to tell, and we can argue forever about Carbon vs Ti vs Steel. I've had all of them. But now I only ride Ti. All three are amazing materials. Buy what you feel comfortable with, from whomever you're comfortable with their design and aesthetics. Every builder approaches geometry differently. Get a fitting, compare numbers, do your homework.

For me, this my ultimate ride for the last 13000 miles in the last 12 months, and plan to do the same this year.

Baum - Corretto: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metanoize/7004692437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So true, and a lovely bike.

FWIW, I'd have happily tried another builder for my second custom bike (Firefly for example) but equally I'm over the moon to be getting another Baum. I can't wait to give steel a proper try too.

Plugger14

by Plugger14

There's a lot of bs in here

as far as price is concerned - baum produce maybe 5 frames a week in what is a massively labour intensive process and they sell for roughly the same price as a mass produced high end European bike - I've seen their facility first hand and own one of their bikes. Your perception of value may be different to mine but there is no question of the effort that goes into building one of their frames.

I have an colnago EPS of almost identical geometry and I would always choose to ride the baum over it. The whole stiffness thing is a red herring, my cubano is every bit as responsive as the Colnago, handles better, is more stable at speed and is much more comfortable over longer distances. It is of course significantly more durable. And they look amazing.

Unless you stuff up the fit you can not go wrong, but I can understand that regardless of how good they are they will only appeal to a small minority wiling to part with a large wad of cash and who are prepared to wait months to get one.

I for one was deeply satisfied when I committed to getting mine to be able to support someone who had put everything into building a small volume artisan frame building business in the middle of nowhere rather then buying another mass produced plastic bike.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

@ laager. I can see your point but I can see their point too. They are not just selling an excellent bike. They are selling their name. It's just the old high end branding low volume strategy. There are many brands in the mass production market that do the same thing.

What You want is a Giant - the every man, value for money, high performance bike. Or do you?
r o y g b i v

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

laarger I'm going to suggest please you contact Baum directly with your issues, as I think they might be able to help clarify it.

Otherwise we get your point, you're not a fan.

And unless we can get back on to some meaningful discussion I think this one might be ready for a lock.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Since when do you buy custom based on value for money?

I'd pay Baum prices all day long over most other bikes on the market regardless of how much 'mark up' you believe there to be. That's just not what it's about - if you don't get that then custom is not for you.

FWIW, Tinea used to work for Baum so he knows their processes (and prices, irrelevant though that is) better than anyone else here - and I say that as someone who has also visited them in person.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No, you're missing the point entirely.

Regardless of whether I own one/have worked for them, fact is you're spewing vitriol when we got the point. If all this is going to be is you flogging a dead horse then, like any other thread on here, it'll get locked. Look around, there's plenty of examples.

And all that is putting aside the fact that there's a lot you don't know and are running with on assumption, but really you're welcome to your opinion and I have no desire to try and alter that.

Either way I'll stand back now and wait for more abuse to roll on in...

andyindo

by andyindo

Baums are lovely. But they are VERY expensive for what they are. They are probably one of the most, if not THE most expensive handmade bike out there, and with that they dont offer freedom over the look of the bike. I have no bone to pick with them and they would be on my short list if it wasnt for the fact that their basic steel Ristretto without the GTR paint scheme costs more than a C59, or a custom carbon bike from Sarto, or a custom Speedvagen, or Pegoretti Marcelo, or or etc.

Awesome bikes I'm sure they are, and I can understand their decision to keep control over the image of their bikes. If you have the money then cool, but they are hellishly expensive for what they are, and I dont believe that Baum is hands down the best builder in the world. I'm sure he's very good, but there are a lot of very good builders out there for significantly less money

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Unlocked, I am requesting we keep it on topic and not hijack the OP's thread.

And to make it clear, for those who might misconstrue anything I type;

- Baum's are expensive. Especially given the strength of the Aussie at present

- they are not without fault

- nor are they they 'the best bike money could ever buy'

What the OP would like is comparisons to other bikes. Here is a recent example where the thread was locked after running its course. In spite of people all having differing opinions.

So please, your opinions are great. If you've made your point fantastic, no need to beat everyone to death with it again. And again. And again...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com