Fuji SL 2017 fork steerer crown race??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

so i got my frame today the fuji sl elite 2017 and it very nice but one question for those of you who also have a frame..
it came with FSA SL headset but i'm not sure if it requires a crown race. there seems to be a gap??

this is a pic of just the frame just because no headset installed thats why there a big gap...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Looks OK to me. I have the Fuji Transonic and no crown race is needed. Recently I upgraded to the FSA SL headset and it's a drop-in replacement. I wish the Transonic would come with the FSA SL headset. It's a great WW concept.

Allen254

by Allen254

pdlpsher1 wrote:Looks OK to me. I have the Fuji Transonic and no crown race is needed. Recently I upgraded to the FSA SL headset and it's a drop-in replacement. I wish the Transonic would come with the FSA SL headset. It's a great WW concept.

oh sweet man thanks alot yeah i was wondering if it need one.
so the FSA SL just sits on the fork right does it need to be popped in or anything special that i need to do to it ??

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The larger of the two bearings just sit on top of the fork crown. The pressure on the headset will self-center the headset bearing.

Allen254

by Allen254

pdlpsher1 wrote:The larger of the two bearings just sit on top of the fork crown. The pressure on the headset will self-center the headset bearing.

ahh okay man thanks alot . so the the head tube should not be touching the fork right? srry for all the questions ahahhaa in advance. i just dont want to break stuff .

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

After the headset assembly rotate the handlebar back and forth. If there's anything rubbing you will feel it. The handlebar should rotate freely without binding. The headset doesn't need to be tight...just snug so there's no free play.

Allen254

by Allen254

pdlpsher1 wrote:After the headset assembly rotate the handlebar back and forth. If there's anything rubbing you will feel it. The handlebar should rotate freely without binding. The headset doesn't need to be tight...just snug so there's no free play.

alright man appreciate the replies i will get to building it on thursday hope everything goes through. lol

twostroke

by twostroke

pdlpsher1 wrote:After the headset assembly rotate the handlebar back and forth. If there's anything rubbing you will feel it. The handlebar should rotate freely without binding. The headset doesn't need to be tight...just snug so there's no free play.

I must admit I didn't use the standard compression plug, but somehow I always had a bit of free play. It's not as stiff as other bikes I have. End result, the bottom bearing gave up after ~2000km, I will try now with a different compression plug. I really don't like the idea of not using the crown race.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 am
Looks OK to me. I have the Fuji Transonic and no crown race is needed. Recently I upgraded to the FSA SL headset and it's a drop-in replacement. I wish the Transonic would come with the FSA SL headset. It's a great WW concept.
I want to buy the SL bearings for my Transonic. The bearings are the only different parts between the headsets that come on a SL and a Transonic, right?
The upper bearing is 1 1/8" 45°×45°, right? Is the lower bearing 1 1/2" 36°×45°? I don't see a 1 1/2" 45°×45° listed.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have to look them up after I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'll appreciate the effort. Googling has been inconclusive and I expected both bearings to be 45°×45°.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

See the attached. The old bearings are in the package. The light bearings are red in color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Thanks, sure enough 36°×45°. Just wanted to be sure.