3rd party chainring compatibility for campag 2011-2012??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

Super cool and exactly what I need!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kaskero

by kaskero

@neeb, thank you very much for the information!

Here is my setup: nerius 11 inner chainring with utc3 bolts on campy chorus 2011 crankset. The bolts with "specialites TA" engraving are placed in the inner chainring.

photo.JPG

photo(1).JPG
Last edited by kaskero on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Good info on this thread.

Does anybody know when the Praxis compact Campag BCD chainrings are going to be released? Shows up on their website as 'Coming Soon', don't know how long it's been saying that for though.

by7

by by7

I resume this old thread....

I want to make an combo with my Chorus 11s compact crank 50/34, replacing the 50 with a 52 Neryus from TA...

Now, I am in doubt If this combo would also need the special TA bolts TA UTC3... because the Campy regular bolt would screw into the "normal" Campy 34 chainring, while holding the TA 52 chainring...

Any thoughts on the matter ??

(Why do I want to do that? because so I can have very good climbing gears while keeping a regular cassette starting with 13 teeth...)
(Note2: I know that this combo is beyond the capacity of the FD, but I want to check what happen...the chain should not rub on the FD arm)

LionelB

by LionelB

it depends on the year of your crank, if it is 2011 and beyond you need the bolts. BTW 52/34 is too big a jump for the FD. It could work but would be best 52/36.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Has anyone tried using Stronglight CT2 9/10 speed chainrings with 11 spd drivetrain and/or know if this combo will work.
I have a fresh set from pre 11spd days that I am thinking of using with Campy 11spd setup – the new ones look the same but listed as 10/11 spd compatible rather than the old 9/10.
Or should I take the plunge and buy 11spd rings?
Any advice gratefully received
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

stormur

by stormur

same Q in 2 topics… anyway if you use Campagnolo crank be aware, that USUALLY 3rd party chainrings are tiny bit thinner than Campagnolo and bolts appear to be to long. FME 1 campa and 1 3rd party rings work, both 3rd party… not. Bolts wobble.

TA specialities "do not shift" comparing to others ( Rotor Q, Stronglight, Miche Super 11 - order from worse to best shifting rings IMO )
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Thanks Stomur - this original post got moved here - I was more interested in the 10spd/11spd question than the campy aspect so I reposted a more generic question. I really appreciate the information.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

fletch62

by fletch62

Can some one clear up for me which Campy chain rings/bolts i need for a 2011 Super record crank set? Part no: FC11-SR293C.
Do i need the newer rings with threaded inner ring, the older ones with 2 part bolts or it doesn't matter? Have to buy rings online, as an outer ring at the Aust. distributor is about $270.
Are the holes in the spider different sizes?
Total cycling have rings, part no: FC-SR153, will these suit?
http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Campagnolo-Super-Record-11-Speed-Chainring---53T-FC-SR153/m-18790.aspx

micropox

by micropox

Just wanted to share this. Looking at stronglight recent website. It seems that they no longer have the campy type e rings. The newest they have is type d with e-shifting. And heres a photo of it:
It still requires the old chainring bolt with nut. The small ring is not threaded. But the rings are a lot thicker compared to the non e-shifting rings and the number of shift ramp pins doubled. Probably to cope with the stronger push of the electronic derailleur. so i assume this will shift better compared to the older type d. Will be using this on my 10 spd campy drivetrain. Will post update

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I recently had a fairly messy experience with TA Nerius rings on my 2010 Athena CT carbon crank. It turned out that Campy had a different design to Chorus and Record of that year, and I was forced to resort to a dremel attack to relieve the hidden bolt location on the outer ring.

Anyway out of that thread a useful chart from TA was posted

http://www.moilutin-cycles.fr/Files/104460/141354628722125.pdf

The whole sad mess is here

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/campagnolo/just-installed-ta-nerius-11-spd-chainrings-343518-2.html#post4784032
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wielracer

by wielracer

This week i've replaced the 50t outer ring of my Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed 2011 with a TA Nerius 11 speed, but I can't use the last three cogs of the cassette without ratling sound, 23 25 and 27.

Is the Nerius chainring thicker dan the original chainring?

And which one fits better? Nerius 11 or Stronglight CT2 Type D?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Nerius is 0.5 mm thinner than the Campy chainring.

My 52/36 Nerius setup is now working fine, so can't help you really.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

BRM

by BRM

wielracer wrote:This week i've replaced the 50t outer ring of my Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed 2011 with a TA Nerius 11 speed, but I can't use the last three cogs of the cassette without ratling sound, 23 25 and 27.

That is anyway a chain angle that should be avoided.
Learn to shift proper.

neeb

by neeb

wielracer wrote:This week i've replaced the 50t outer ring of my Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed 2011 with a TA Nerius 11 speed, but I can't use the last three cogs of the cassette without ratling sound, 23 25 and 27.

In any case, if it wasn't doing it before it must either be due to front derailleur adjustment (the chain rubbing the cage), rear derailleur indexing (being inbetween gears) or perhaps the new front chainring not sitting properly / being warped due uneven spacing. I've forgotten all of the details now and the number of different combinations due to Campagnolo changes is ridiculous (10 vs. 11sp, threaded and non-threaded rings, spacers/washers being present originally or not, different spacers and washers supplied by TA for these different combinations..), but you need to make sure that the spacer and washer combination for the 5th bolt (the one under the crank arm) is right. You can pretty much tell just by spinning the crank and sighting along the large chain ring - if there is any sign of wobble / shimmy (even 1mm), you need to add / remove / swap the washer (or perhaps swap the spacer).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com