Cheap, light seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

+1 for the 178g 410mm Hylix seatpost.
I own one and can testify to its reliability. It's a grade above the cheap Chinese carbon seatposts.
I have mine cut down to 320mm, and it weighs only 20-30g more than the 200$ + ax lightness , schmolke seatposts . So it should be a good value for the money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

@Mertdemirel: that's great to hear! did you keep the logo on there or sanded it off?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I bought an omni and pleased with weight. That said the graphics are rubbish so had mine stripped and sprayed to match my bike. May try the 6k one for my CX.

One point in the omni is that the clamp bolts are barely long enough for a fizik 'oval' rails. For peace of mind I may buy a longer one for the front fixing. In contrast to this, the photos a of the 6k post has it attached to a fizik so assume it will be fine.

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

I don't know if it has been mentioned but , 3t Dorico LTD is another good choice within your budget.

addictR1

by addictR1

@Mertdemirel: i too have thought about the 3T, but most of them range from 200-220g. aliexpress has them for cheap, but getting something more lightweight would definitely be a plus. my order for the hylix went through, but it's been a weeks and the tracking number from the ebay seller is not showing up to be any good. sigh...

xis

by xis

I want to buy the Hylix seatpost (31.6 / 410mm / 178g) but first I need to know if I can use my full carbon saddle with it. Is there anybody here using full carbon saddle (carbon rails) with that kind of seatpost?

renoracing

by renoracing

I used my Prologo Scratch Nack carbon railed saddle with the Hylix post for a while. The problem that I encountered was due to the width of the two red top clamps shown in that image that pull down on the top of the rails. They are really bulky and protrude from the rails quite a bit, so on a narrow saddle they were actually wider than the saddle itself at the midpoint, this resulted in the clamp portions rubbing on my shorts, and I don't have large thighs or anything like that. So, keep that in mind when purchasing. The woodman clamp portions are a little more rounded and less protruding.

xis

by xis

Thanks for the contribution, Renoracing! Looking at my saddle and looking at the seatpost, seems that this situation you described is going to happen with me, too. Hhhmmm... Apart from that, what are your general considerations (weight / quality / aesthetic/etc) about this seatpost? Would you buy again or not?

addictR1

by addictR1

@renoracing: is the Prologo Scratch Nack carbon rail an oval one or round one? would the hylix work for either type?

xis

by xis

addictR1 wrote:@renoracing: is the Prologo Scratch Nack carbon rail an oval one or round one? would the hylix work for either type?

AddictR1, the seller said that I can use full carbon saddle with oval shaped rails.

[I read your private message. I sent an email for you right now. Thanks.]

renoracing

by renoracing

@xis, The Prologo has oval rails, so I'd imagine that it'd work with round rails as well. It's a decent post, and when I cut it down to a little shorter length, I ended up with it at 130 grams from what I recall. Honestly I only ran the post for a couple of days, largely due to the situation I mentioned, partly because I really didn't like the red clamp portions, and also because I decided to add a few mm's of setback. I probably wouldn't buy one again, after now seeing some better options, a few of which have been mentioned in this thread... If I were to buy a non-setback post, I'd get the Woodman that I posted on the last page(which I'm running on one of my 29ers). Despite be aluminum, it's just as light as any carbon post, and resolves the problem I described above. Plus it's black, with simple logo's....

ps... get the Woodman GT2xl post rather than the SL post. They are the same price, but the GT2xl is a one piece design identical to the EL road post that retails for $130, while the SL is a heavier two piece design. You can then just cut the GT2xl down to the length you need, and you end up with a lighter post than the SL, even after cutting it down...

xis

by xis

Renoracing, thanks for your feedback. I was looking for a seatpost that would cost me about USD 60.00. So, I didn't find better options at that price (I payed USD 69) for a new product. So, I bought the Hylix. If I face the same problem, I will change the clamps that you mentioned or I will even tune them. I'll come back here after using the seatpost to give my feedback. Thanks a lot!

addictR1

by addictR1

xis: let me know when you get the tracking # from the the seller. check it to see if it give you any tracking info, because i still have not see anything updated on mine except the tracking # might be the wrong one. :(

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am crrently using a deda drittissimo seatpost cut down a bit and without Ti hardware. It weighs 175g and csot £65 here in the U.K.

A thomson Elite of the same length with Ti hardware ends up at 180g (I have this too).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xis

by xis

addictR1 wrote:xis: let me know when you get the tracking # from the the seller. check it to see if it give you any tracking info, because i still have not see anything updated on mine except the tracking # might be the wrong one. :(

Alright, AddictR1. The seller didn't inform the tracking number yet. I think he will inform on next Monday. I'll let you know. :thumbup: