HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 43
prendrefeu wrote:
I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still.

Image

I don't know what my exact bike snobbery threshold is (carbon tubulars on training rides, weight weenie bike+fat rider, electronic shifters, etc.) but envy is an ugly sentiment.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 3421
Location: Athens, Greece
Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.

_________________
My Cipollini Bond
My 8618gr Colnago Master X-light
My 9745gr Pinarello Dyna


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:52 pm
Posts: 2327
Location: The Alps
kgt wrote:
Not a fan of electric bike transmission but I now have more reasons to be a Campagnolo fan.
EPS: 11 cogs, lighter, faster and way more beautiful than Di2.

Same here.

Electric shifting feels like electric windows on a car. Nice to have but not necessary for high performance. It is heavier too.

We will have to see the time trial version with multiple switches on the bars. This is where electronic shifting is good, when you can change gears with your hands in different places on the bars, to only a move one finger a touch when on the extensions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7412
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
kgt wrote:
Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.


Excuse me?

I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.

Gent1: "Well, I chose Di2 because it's the latest tech." (climbing along side Gent2)
Gent2: "Campagnolo has a superior product in every way, and it shifts faster than Di2" (slowly fading back)

Gent3: "Look guys, I'm riding my SRAM Apex group on an 80's steel frame. I've been waiting for you at the top of this climb for 20 minutes I'm going to head back home. See you in a few hours when you get there." (sent via SMS)

Most of you are adults here. I'm assuming most of you know how to ride a bike.
Does it work for you? Great. Now go ride your damn bike and become a better cyclist.

Equipment doesn't make you a better cyclist. Riding your bike and training well does make you a better cyclist.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Posts: 506
Last time I checked this was a website to talk about Bike Parts, if that is your belief, what are you doing on here? Please stop interrupting fun discussions on new bike tech.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7412
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
I'm interested in bike parts. See the previous post:


prendrefeu wrote:
Di2 shifting is very slow compared to analog. They're claiming that their [Campagnolo's] electronic is faster than analog.

I'd like to see that claim backed up with some testing, since analog is virtually 0.000 seconds by the simple concept of: once you pull on a cable, that cable is pulling on something and mechanical system are direct actions, not delayed.


It's the point where people are more concentrating on the tech than the riding that's the funny part. On one hand it's fun to see marketing work so exceptionally well. On the other hand, it's quite sad.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 pm
Posts: 377
Campagnolo rarely release something new and they have been working on this one for over 20 years.

If something that unusual that has taken that long to develop by one of the oldest companies in cycling can't generate a bit of interest on a forum intended to discuss bike parts afterall, what is the world coming to?!

If talking bike parts upsets you, firstly don't read it, and secondly don't waste the time that you would clearly be rather spending riding your 80's steel bike with Apex in typing a response and leave the forum free for people who want to be here.

It's not about discussing instead of riding. Unless you ride 24 hours a day, there must be a little down time in everybody's life for a bit of fat arsed forum surfing and harmless conversation. Personally I have room in my life for both. It is currently dark, raining and 9.20 at night. Let me reassure you, I am not typing this instead of riding!

You are right, most of us are adults on here. That means most of us have jobs, and if we want to spend a bit of our hard earned cash on some Italian electronic frivolity, that's our choice surely?

Enjoy riding, enjoy chatting and spread a little love to fellow cyclists. As my mum used to say, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Posts: 506
Exactly and that is what Electric has the potential to do. As it appears Campy is programmable it shouldn't be too long before someone figures out how to make it sequential thorugh all the gears like the Fairwheel Di2 system and shift a lot faster than stock or any mechanical system improving the cycling experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 am
Posts: 239
Location: uk/ Essex
two decades to arrive and it still looks butt ugly

:lol:

_________________
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Thunder Bay
prendrefeu wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sorry but quotes like 'I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still' are just proofs of an inferiority complex. Nothing less, nothing more.


Excuse me?

I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.

Gent1: "Well, I chose Di2 because it's the latest tech." (climbing along side Gent2)
Gent2: "Campagnolo has a superior product in every way, and it shifts faster than Di2" (slowly fading back)

Gent3: "Look guys, I'm riding my SRAM Apex group on an 80's steel frame. I've been waiting for you at the top of this climb for 20 minutes I'm going to head back home. See you in a few hours when you get there." (sent via SMS)

Most of you are adults here. I'm assuming most of you know how to ride a bike.
Does it work for you? Great. Now go ride your damn bike and become a better cyclist.

Equipment doesn't make you a better cyclist. Riding your bike and training well does make you a better cyclist.



You still don't get what a jealous little person you sound like do you? Do you really think someone who can afford a $10,000+ road bike gives a rats ass that the $2000 option of electronic shifting will not make them faster? Most of the masses who are buying Di2 will NEVER race, and will NEVER care that someone passed them up a climb. They just want the nicest bike money can buy, bar none, and that usually means the best looking most expensive bike they get get there hands on.

I'm curious to hear what some of the haters here are riding for bikes, because if there is anyone hating the electronics who rides a Pinarello or a Colnago or (insert exotic bike brand here) instead of a Trek or Specialized or (insert mass produced high end, boring bike here) I will laugh my ass off....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 239
prendrefeu wrote:
I wrote that as a follow up to the previous statement: arguing about all this shit is getting really hilarious. Some people are more concerned about what they're riding than actually riding. People are arguing over Di2 vs. Campagnolo Electric vs whatever. It's getting ridiculous. It's reminiscent of little boys in the 80's arguing which is better to drive: a Lamorghini Countach, a Porsche 959 or a Ferrari 308. Then they actually learn how to drive, realize that those cars aren't really worth the bother and just drive whatever they've got quite well and all that arguing was really just avoiding the fact that they couldn't even drive. So what if they jump into a Countach, they'll still be out driven by someone who can actually drive.



the ferrari 308 is in a different category than the other 2. the ferrari 288 GTO would be a better fit...just saying.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 7412
Location: Los Angeles / Glendale, California
toofine wrote:
You still don't get what a jealous little person you sound like do you?


Apparently not. This is the first time I've been called jealous of anything in my entire life, that's news to me. Those that have ridden with me here know that I'm not jealous or envious of their equipment in any way, ... so how am I jealous of someone else's bling? As long as the person is riding their bike and happy about it, good for them. If the person is thinking that equipment trumps ability, then I laugh. How is that jealousy, sir?

toofine wrote:
Do you really think someone who can afford a $10,000+ road bike gives a rats ass that the $2000 option of electronic shifting will not make them faster?


It would be nice if they did.

toofine wrote:
I'm curious to hear what some of the haters here are riding for bikes, because if there is anyone hating the electronics who rides a Pinarello or a Colnago or (insert exotic bike brand here) instead of a Trek or Specialized or (insert mass produced high end, boring bike here) I will laugh my ass off....


Currently: Figmo 900 sanded down, all analog, 13lbs without any tuning, nothing exotic, no decals. I guess you should ask others to get your laugh.

_________________
Exp001 || TeamLACBC


Last edited by prendrefeu on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Thunder Bay
"It would be nice if they did."


That's the part that you just don't get.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 pm
Posts: 636
I'm the last person that's going to tell anyone how to spend there money. As long as I can still buy the analog version the bike companies can add air conditioning and nav to bikes and I wouldn't care but I still think it's retarded.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Thunder Bay
voodoojar wrote:
I'm the last person that's going to tell anyone how to spend there money. As long as I can still buy the analog version the bike companies can add air conditioning and nav to bikes and I wouldn't care but I still think it's retarded.



Why?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Attermann, Bing [Bot], Bogan, boidos, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 9070 Di2 or EPS electric

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ]

in Road

tantra

73

6160

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

sugarkane View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. SRAM goes electric....almost official

[ Go to page: 1 ... 6, 7, 8 ]

in Road

Permon

105

10376

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:23 pm

ITTY View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy BB30 cup adaptors vs Parlee BB30 cups for Campy

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Road

GuyGadois

32

2220

Sat May 10, 2014 2:56 am

BRM View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. (im)Possible to install a Campy SRM on a 386 Evo BB ?

in Road

vlastrada

2

510

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:46 am

vlastrada View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Campy Shifter Help

in Road

NGMN

1

424

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:45 pm

stella-azzurra View the latest post


It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB