Campy Electric is here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

Last edited by morrisond on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

"Gruppo", especially since we're talking Campagnolo here!

(Using mutated words with Shimano seems perhaps less of a concern)

Impressive from the look of it! Glad to see the lighter weight relative to Di2. I'm sticking with my mechanical SRAM Red, though!

morrisond

by morrisond

It cleaned up okay, is the brain in the battery, or is that just the junction box, one wire to front, one to RD and one to FD? Just trying to figure out how hard it is to hide the battery, hopefully it can be modded so that we can hide it.

euan

by euan

The battery does look to be in the brain, sounds expensive. I assume it is lighter because of the smaller battery and the crank.

Still think the press and hold shifting is a gimmick for the sake of difference that could bring back miss shifts.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Hiroshe connectors... good news for hackers :beerchug:

euan

by euan

gerundium wrote:We will have to wait and see what the journalists say about it, because an issue like this should become apparent fairly soon.

The same journalists who were shipped en masse to Sicily for the launch? Fat chance of an honest review. That Bike Radar article says Campagnolo state riders will adapt and know with their legs, which of course is too late if you've stuffed your shifting.

solarider

by solarider

I wanted to hate it and complain about how nobody needs electric shifting and how overpriced it is.

But, I love the look of it! Much better looking than DI2 IMHO, and I am sure it will work well.

The changes between Record and Super Record seem small for the price differences being quoted, but otherwise Super Record looks great.

I have heard a rumour that because of limited supply you will a) have to buy a complete groupset (including the mechanical bits that you probably already own) and b) will have to buy it through a Campagnolo Service Centre so that they can set it up (because it is not easy) which means no online bargains.

My only problem is that I have externally routed frames, and there isn't a neat solution to wiring without internal routing.

irf3

by irf3

I think the group looks great, to be expected to campy. But, I'm skeptical about the hold down shifting too. It seems like actually reverting back to non-indexed shifts. Might as well just put some downtube shifters on and call it a day.

djconnel

by djconnel

Disagree. Remember the old Shimano STI systems had gear indicators. Turns out you don't need gear indicators to shift with brifters, and Campy and SRAM failed to follow the Shimano example. Same here: I think riders generally know what gear they're in.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

solarider wrote:I wanted to hate it and complain about how nobody needs electric shifting and how overpriced it is...

What?!... and leave me all alone floundering in a sea of electronic progress... :)
Just kidding... sort of... I know this has been debated ad nauseum, just saying that for all I like about the bicycle in general, this is one advance that so far at least leaves me completely unenthused. Campy or Shimano, doesn't matter. Don't misunderstand me however, as I don't ever want to give back my fancy computers and technology in virtually every other facet of life. Just thought it might be kinda nice if we could leave the bicycle alone for a little while longer. But I guess not. Oh well... carry on...

The Knowledge, must be protected.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Not sure how useful the .117 sec. faster rear shifting would be. :confused:
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Di2 shifting is very slow compared to analog. They're claiming that their [Campagnolo's] electronic is faster than analog.

I'd like to see that claim backed up with some testing, since analog is virtually 0.000 seconds by the simple concept of: once you pull on a cable, that cable is pulling on something and mechanical system are direct actions, not delayed.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VNTech

by VNTech

euan wrote:
gerundium wrote:We will have to wait and see what the journalists say about it, because an issue like this should become apparent fairly soon.

The same journalists who were shipped en masse to Sicily for the launch? Fat chance of an honest review. That Bike Radar article says Campagnolo state riders will adapt and know with their legs, which of course is too late if you've stuffed your shifting.

Shimano wasn't too happy about my Ultegra Di2 story, where they "shipped me" to Switzerland. Some of us have integrity, you know. Lennard is over there for us, and I'm sure he'll point out any obvious flaws. Though with a product that took this long to come to market, I doubt he'll find any on the first ride.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech