Campy Electric is here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roca rule

by roca rule

in fact lennard said that some of his expectatives were not met.
i do applaud campagnolo for trying to differentiate thamselves form the competition, but i do not think that they are going to be drstically better or superior to justify the campagnolo price tag. I like the ability to drop the whole cassette specially with an auto trim fd and for this reason i think that the sattelite shifters might take longer to be implemented. the other benefit from campagnolo i am digging is the advertised shift speed; this shows that they want to make electric not only a feature but and upgrade over mechanichal record and sr.

OJ

by OJ

irf3 wrote:...It seems like actually reverting back to non-indexed shifts...

This would be just about the second most awesome thing ever. Where can I send my deposit for this one?
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

roca rule wrote:in fact lennard said that some of his expectatives were not met.
i do applaud campagnolo for trying to differentiate thamselves form the competition, but i do not think that they are going to be drstically better or superior to justify the campagnolo price tag. I like the ability to drop the whole cassette specially with an auto trim fd and for this reason i think that the sattelite shifters might take longer to be implemented. the other benefit from campagnolo i am digging is the advertised shift speed; this shows that they want to make electric not only a feature but and upgrade over mechanichal record and sr.
When you bear in mind that Campag are offering a product in Record EPS that costs the same as DI2 but is lighter, what's the drawback?

From a WW point of view Campag have an advantage in that both groups are lighter than DI2. By 72g in the case of Record and 164 in the case of Super Record. They've also endeavoured to retain the same ergonomics as mechanical Ergopower thus making it unnecessary to "adapt" to the new system. Finally there is apparently a definite click as you press the levers unlike the detached feel DI2 has. So, all in all 3 separate areas Campagnolo have potentially an edge over Shimano.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Why we even bother arguing over this shit is becoming more interesting than whatever new novelties are being presented to us. :lol:

I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still. Just this past Saturday (on what was otherwise a ride that had a very tragic result), I passed a gent on a Time RXS Ulteam with white-spoked Lightweights. He might as well have had Di2 or even Campagnolo electronic, it really didn't matter. I slowed a little cadence just to say "nice wheels" to him, then continued passing him like it was nothing. He took it as a compliment and yelled at my backside "hey, thanks!" :roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

prendrefeu wrote:Why we even bother arguing over this shit is becoming more interesting than whatever new novelties are being presented to us. :lol:

I really, really enjoy passing a rider with a blinged out rig on the local climbs out here like they are standing still. Just this past Saturday (on what was otherwise a ride that had a very tragic result), I passed a gent on a Time RXS Ulteam with white-spoked Lightweights. He might as well have had Di2 or even Campagnolo electronic, it really didn't matter. I slowed a little cadence just to say "nice wheels" to him, then continued passing him like it was nothing. He took it as a compliment and yelled at my backside "hey, thanks!" :roll:
Goes a long way to explaining why certain sections of the cycling community regard road cyclists the way they do.

That could have been me. I am slow up the climbs on my SR11 equipped VXRS or what ever else I am riding. But that's possibly due to the 2 plates, 10 pins & ZERO cartilage in my right ankle. Makes it harder to turn the pedals.

Evigan

by Evigan

What bothers me is the magnetic turn on switch, for two reasons:

1. Let's say you start riding and forget to turn the system on. Wups, then you must stop, get off the bike, and turn it on, since there is no way to reach the battery while you're riding
2. To turn on the system you must pull out the pin. Where do you put it when you start riding? The small pin should also be very easy to lose.

Just my 2 cents..

euan

by euan

VNTech wrote:Shimano wasn't too happy about my Ultegra Di2 story, where they "shipped me" to Switzerland. Some of us have integrity, you know. Lennard is over there for us, and I'm sure he'll point out any obvious flaws. Though with a product that took this long to come to market, I doubt he'll find any on the first ride.

Quite a lot of journalists have been fawning over it and declaring it the second coming before even riding. In an industry where the majority of ride reviews are overly positive I think I will keep my skepticism. I will listen to Zimm's review but still take it with a pinch of salt.

mrfish

by mrfish

roca rule wrote:in fact lennard said that some of his expectatives were not met.

I hope he didn't say that. Unless he's been spending a long time on the phone with George Bush Jr trying to get him to try some longer cranks. :D

roca rule

by roca rule

On the other hand he states that there were some unexpected surprises.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Not a fan of electric bike transmission but I now have more reasons to be a Campagnolo fan.
EPS: 11 cogs, lighter, faster and way more beautiful than Di2.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

nm

spartan

by spartan

new info on eps here

On the setup front, Campy describes two settings. “Zero Setting” is the initial setup to align everything and dial in the shifting. Interestingly, there is only one limit screw in the whole system: It prevents the rear derailleur from overshifting into the spokes. Then, there's “Riding Setting.” This is used to tweak the shifting on the fly if you discover that you didn't nail it in the Zero Setting or if, for instance, you get a flat and take a wheel change mid-race.

setup should be a breeze

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new ... cktabs_3=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

morrisond

by morrisond

That Bicycling article is great. I like the Following part, especially the part about the reprogrammability.

The "Power Unit" is attached to a bracket that resides under the water bottle. It contains the battery and the "brains" of the system. The Battery/Power Unit may be located anywhere; it uses the same bolt spacing as the Di2 "short" mount. The EPS Power Unit is larger than the Di2 battery, though, which may make locating more difficult. Some frame companies are working on internal mount solutions for the Power Unit.

Because the Power Unit also contains the brains (Di2's brains are located in the front derailleur), any battery hacks would also require a brain hack, which might complicate matters. However, on the hack front, EPS does have updatable firmware, so not only can Campy improve, update or provide customized shifting profiles, enterprising programmers can have all sorts of fun.

jcconnox

by jcconnox

Evigan wrote:The small pin should also be very easy to lose.

No brainer on that one-

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStor ... QgodLEJpCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jcconnox wrote:
Evigan wrote:The small pin should also be very easy to lose.

No brainer on that one-

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStor ... QgodLEJpCA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also available: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/2784
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.