Campy Electric is here!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I guess it's because I'm old. Other than that I have not Idea why the thought of electric shit on a bike angers me so much.

toofine

by toofine

prendrefeu wrote:[
Currently: Figmo 900 sanded down, all analog, 13lbs without any tuning, nothing exotic, no decals. I guess you should ask others to get your laugh.

Just re-read this and still laughed. At least you're not a hypocrite, and maybe you're not jealous... but envious no doubt. You can't seem to get over the fact that someone might spend ludicrous amounts of money on a bike and not care that they are fast. I don't know why that is so hard to grasp.

I routinely spend WAY to much money on wine... some people think I'm crazy... I tell them "you should see the guys I drink with!". Some people I know spend $300 on a bottle of wine - I don't begrudge them, or think they are crazy, because $300 to them is not a great deal of money. I just look forward to the invite!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toofine

by toofine

voodoojar wrote:I guess it's because I'm old. Other than that I have not Idea why the thought of electric shit on a bike angers me so much.

Do you still have a rotary dial phone? Does your vehicle have a carburetor? Do you pull out the leaches when you have a head-ache? If you answered yes to any of these I forgive you! :mrgreen:

djconnel

by djconnel

Do these things make cars lighter and faster?

Mechanical shifting, if lighter, is faster. Is there a compensating speed loss from slow shifting? No evidence of that at the pro level.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

toofine wrote:Just re-read this and still laughed. At least you're not a hypocrite, and maybe you're not jealous... but envious no doubt. You can't seem to get over the fact that someone might spend ludicrous amounts of money on a bike and not care that they are fast. I don't know why that is so hard to grasp.

Wow. You are certainly trying to make up excuses. Let me help you out, since you're still shooting blanks.
Envious? Nope.
Jealous? Nope.
Aware of people's tendencies for conspicuous consumption? Yes.

Your self-written and described example of wine is a clear example of an issue in your own psychology that you are choosing to ignore. Enjoy "keeping up with the joneses" to use the idiom correctly, you'll go far. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

toofine

by toofine

prendrefeu wrote:
toofine wrote:Just re-read this and still laughed. At least you're not a hypocrite, and maybe you're not jealous... but envious no doubt. You can't seem to get over the fact that someone might spend ludicrous amounts of money on a bike and not care that they are fast. I don't know why that is so hard to grasp.

Wow. You are certainly trying to make up excuses. Let me help you out, since you're still shooting blanks.
Envious? Nope.
Jealous? Nope.

Your self-written and described example of wine is a clear example of an issue in your own psychology that you are choosing to ignore. Enjoy "keeping up with the joneses" to use the idiom correctly, you'll go far. :lol:

:roll:

Sorry, I'll return my C59 tomorrow....

How is that keeping up with the Jones? I don't try to buy things other people have. I buy what I can afford and what gives me pleasure in life? You want to begrudge that on anyone else?

I'm sticking with envious....

spartan

by spartan

where are the ww moderators. certain posters contribute ZERO to this forum but are still have a license to post utter
nonsense.

now back on topic.

bicycling made a interesting observation on weight and clarifies why campy did not release individual weights for the parts.

"In fact, if Campy's weights are accurate, Record EPS may be lighter than Dura Ace mechanical. It's interesting, however, that Shimano's Di2 penalty—DA Di2 versus DA mechanical; Ultegra Di2 versus Ultegra mechanical—is less than 100 grams. Campy's EPS penalty is more than 200."

for a pure ww electric build shimano dura-ace is still lighter. gen2 di2 will be release late next year.lighter battery + new slimmer cables the weight penalty of going electric will be null.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

maley

by maley

Does anybody know the brand of the frame that the new gruppo is mounted to?

Epic-o

by Epic-o

maley wrote:Does anybody know the brand of the frame that the new gruppo is mounted to?

A Pinarello Dogma

BobSantini

by BobSantini

sastre wrote:two decades to arrive and it still looks butt ugly

:lol:

You must be thinking of one of those huge sagging cellulite pittted butts.
I don't think of butts like that. In fact to me the term "butt ugly" is an oxymoron :lol:

To my eye Campy stuff is gorgeous with a few rare exceptions.
r o y g b i v

VTBike

by VTBike

prendrefeu wrote:

Envious? Nope.
Jealous? Nope.

I find it incredibly amusing that in your posts, you state your opinion as if it is fact, and state your views as if they are held by all. Great that you measure yourself and others on how fast of a rider you are.. I'm sure you win lots of trophies for that.. I don't know how old you are - but clearly at whatever age your at, you have not figured out that life is not just about getting to a finish line, but how you got to that finish line. Its different for everyone, and you should respect that. People will respect you more if you can bring that level of maturity to a conversation. THe way you post now, its like talking with a 10 year old.

Life is short - find enjoyment where you can, and respect where other people find enjoyment. End of story.

spytech

by spytech

i would love to see what people say about how campagnolo executed electronic shifting. is it on par with Di2 or simply better in every way (its already lighter).

things do not stay the same way they are for long, and their aren't enough purest to justify not changing and moving to something new with new technologies. campagnolo can not shy away from innovation just because they are going to piss off a few old customer. a business needs to have a certain % of new customers in order to survive, it can not do it on old customers only.

two italian companies launched their biggest products this week Ducati and Campagnolo. Ducati made a radical change with the 1199 - no more trellis frame, no more dry clutch, etc... the bike is a technology marvel, but it will not satisfy the purest; so what? their market-share will grow and innovation will bring in new customer.

i do not under stand people who say that electronic shifting is a solution to a non existant problem - stupid statement. it is not a solution, just another way or route taken to do the same thing (shifting), which has the potential to be better with more R and D and innovation. Give me wireless shifting!!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

VTBike wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:

Envious? Nope.
Jealous? Nope.

I find it incredibly amusing that in your posts, you state your opinion as if it is fact, and state your views as if they are held by all. Great that you measure yourself and others on how fast of a rider you are.. I'm sure you win lots of trophies for that.. I don't know how old you are - but clearly at whatever age your at, you have not figured out that life is not just about getting to a finish line, but how you got to that finish line. Its different for everyone, and you should respect that. People will respect you more if you can bring that level of maturity to a conversation. THe way you post now, its like talking with a 10 year old.

Life is short - find enjoyment where you can, and respect where other people find enjoyment. End of story.

What? There's a finish line? Now ya tell me... :beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

spytech wrote:i do not under stand people who say that electronic shifting is a solution to a non existant problem - stupid statement. it is not a solution, just another way or route taken to do the same thing (shifting), which has the potential to be better with more R and D and innovation. Give me wireless shifting!!!

I agree with this.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a solution to a problem, because I don't know what the problem is, other than mechanical shifting, albiet pretty simple and reliable, is quite an old method for chainging gears in it's many different ways. But hey, it works and pretty effective too. As you said, it's just another way to perform the same function.

If you don't like it, don't bitch about the fact it's available for others who may want it, just don't buy it and stick with mechanical. I bet the majority of people that moaned about STI and othe lever shifting system and are moaning about electronic shifting aren't still on downtube shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Can't seem to make sense of it.

So weight wise, Campy SR EPS < SR Mechanical < DA Mechanical < DA Di2 ?

If that's the case, why is "ww electric build shimano dura-ace is still lighter"? Di2 is apparently the HEAVIEST of the 4?

spartan wrote:where are the ww moderators. certain posters contribute ZERO to this forum but are still have a license to post utter
nonsense.

now back on topic.

bicycling made a interesting observation on weight and clarifies why campy did not release individual weights for the parts.

"In fact, if Campy's weights are accurate, Record EPS may be lighter than Dura Ace mechanical. It's interesting, however, that Shimano's Di2 penalty—DA Di2 versus DA mechanical; Ultegra Di2 versus Ultegra mechanical—is less than 100 grams. Campy's EPS penalty is more than 200."

for a pure ww electric build shimano dura-ace is still lighter. gen2 di2 will be release late next year.lighter battery + new slimmer cables the weight penalty of going electric will be null.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal