TRP R970SL upgrade over Sram Red.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

The TRP R970SL have caught my eye and I think they would look pretty good on my Super Six. I know that it will be an upgrade based on weight but what about stopping performance? I have done a search and nothing has really come up on them vs sram red. I would appreciate any real road experience with the TRP brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I use the 970SL and they are every bit as good as the Campag Record brakes on my bike they replaced ... but lighter.

You will note that the 970SLs have a sliding quick release, while the new 970EQ has a cam-style quick release.

Do not buy the newly released 979EQ or 979SL because these are for the new generation Dura-Ace levers which pull more cable.

But the thing that's really poor about these brakes is that there is no rubber protector for the frame on the front brake arm - if the forks twist, say during a crash, the brake arm will smash into the top of your down tube. That is a sure fire way to break off your RH down tube cable guide, hence the Campagnolo rubber protector on their front brakes. Are you reading Mr Tektro?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I will concur that they are indeed a solid brake with the advantage of being pretty dang light weight and looking very nice. Definitely a bit more personality to your road rig.
Just ride ..

redhed18

by redhed18

Valbrona wrote:...the 970SLs have a sliding quick release, while the new 970EQ has a cam-style quick release.

Actually the 970EQ has BOTH mechanisms (sliding + cam)...

Having owned the R960 - terrific brake - next time I would probably get brakes with a cam.

Shame if the R979 SL is 7900-only... the matte black and shape is super appealing.

G6612

by G6612

If I do a google search I do not see anywhere to buy the R970 EQ anyone have any suggestions?

jliespeed

by jliespeed

I have searched and searched...I think the brakes are too new and will slowly become available.

ellipsesx

by ellipsesx

here it is : http://prntscr.com/433ie

only shimi????
who can confirm this?

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I was thinking to get the TRP979SL for my new Canyon Ultimate CF build with Campagnolo 11s. Are they really only for the new Shimano Brake/Shifters?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Frankie13 wrote:I was thinking to get the TRP979SL for my new Canyon Ultimate CF build with Campagnolo 11s. Are they really only for the new Shimano Brake/Shifters?

Yup. Campag brake levers have a more traditional 1:3 actuation ratio. The 979 brakes were introduced to work with DA7900 levers which pull 1:4.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Valbrona wrote:
Frankie13 wrote:I was thinking to get the TRP979SL for my new Canyon Ultimate CF build with Campagnolo 11s. Are they really only for the new Shimano Brake/Shifters?

Yup. Campag brake levers have a more traditional 1:3 actuation ratio. The 979 brakes were introduced to work with DA7900 levers which pull 1:4.

The Glory cycles website does say they would work just fine with campagnolo too!
Since Campy is 1:3 what could I expect from the performance side?

1:3 or 1:4 what does this really mean :noidea:

iscarrr

by iscarrr

Slight grave dig here - but does anyone know where to buy the newer updated version of this brake, the R970EQ, online?

A year has passed and these still seem very hard to track down online. A couple on ebay, but only white with red decals, 2011 i think?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

You'll get them in the UK from any shop that can order from the distributor 'Upgrade'.

The 979s will work fine with Campag levers too - it's just that they'll also work better (i.e. better than the 970s) with the newer Shimano brake pull ratios.

durianrider

by durianrider

Ive got the TRP 950SL's and they work ok. Im 65kg.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

istigatrice

by istigatrice

http://www.bc2adesign.com/TheTruth.html

Not sure if this is legit but it makes some pretty strong accusations against TRP
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com