Nokon Konkavex - Creaking Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johan_museeuw

by johan_museeuw

Recently I purchased a set of Nokon Konkavex cables (Brake + Shifter, Road + Campa', Anodized Black), and have just installed them.

They were fine for the first few rides, however the creaking in them terrible when turning the handlebars - The cables are yet to be shortened until position on bicycle has been finalised...

Can anyone recommend what to do, in order to minimise this noise from the movement of the cables?

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

Whenever it's happened to me it's been at the housing stops on the frame. Try popping the housing out of the stop and putting a little teflon plumber's tape around the last 1 or 2 pieces of housing where they enter the guide/stop thingy (technically speaking). :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johan_museeuw

by johan_museeuw

Thank you for the recommendation; I have tried that, as well as lubricating that point of wheel the cable meets the housing guide...

...The creak is still apparent, even when flexing the cable between where it exits the handlebar tape, and that point.

Boonen

by Boonen

I use Pedro's Ice Wax on mine. You just need very little and make sure you don't get it on your frame because it's dirty stuff ;o) You could try spraying it with teflon as well, but that's more sticky so dust and dirt will attatch easier.
Should take care of any noise these cables make.

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

Well then, my only other suggestion is to again pop the housing out of the stop, slide all the pieces down the cable to expose the liner where it is normally covered by the housing pieces and rub some type of light teflon in liquid suspension over the liner in case the noise is between the housing and the liner. I had the creaking, but a few rain rides made it disappear. Whatever works, let us know. :?:

micropox

by micropox

had experience the same creaking sound on mine. spreading a very small amount of white lightning throughout the nokon housing will fix your problem.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i take an oil spray(wd 40, brunox)and hold a towel behind the cable(not the inner cable, i mean the nokon parts you put onto the liner) to keep the oil away of the rest of the bike. then i spray oil on the whole cable from the lever to the brakes/fd/rd. then i move the cable to let the oil go between the nokon pieces, wait a bit and then clean the cable with the towel

KingstonWheeler

by KingstonWheeler

Try a spray on wax based furniture polish. I used to use Nokons but the noise and upkeep required was too annoying, even if they were lighter.

skid

by skid

yeah the creaking is really annoying.
and nobody tells you this before you buy them. they just keep singing praises for its looks and light weight. i'm now beginning to suspect, those weight weenies are not really riding their nokon-equipped bikes and just building them for display. or maybe the new nokon owners are pissed off they were not informed about the noise that they want to get even and not tell potential owners as well.

but hey don't listen to me. the nokons are great!! buy them!!! we want to welcome you the club! :twisted:

Boonen

by Boonen

well, I use these on my cx bikes as well and only had them creak once just after I bought them. Now I lube them every now and then, no problems since. Maybe I'm just lucky :o

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

simon wrote:i take an oil spray(wd 40, brunox)and hold a towel behind the cable(not the inner cable, i mean the nokon parts you put onto the liner) to keep the oil away of the rest of the bike. then i spray oil on the whole cable from the lever to the brakes/fd/rd. then i move the cable to let the oil go between the nokon pieces, wait a bit and then clean the cable with the towel

I'm down with the lube idea, but WD-40 is a solvent so it might do funny things with the liner. I don't know what brunox is, but the consensus seems to be a little teflon does the trick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com