'Tuning' an R5000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pinky

by pinky

Once the next check clears I'm putting in an order for an 06 'dale R5000. I'm going to have a bit of extra coin to throw at it afterwards and was wondering if you kind folks have any ideas of what to toss on it (using a college students budget)? Here's a spec list:

Frame CAAD8 Optimo
Fork Slice Premium
Rear Shock N/A
Rims Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Hubs Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Spokes Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Tires Hutchinson Top Speed foldable, 700 x 23c
Pedals N/A
Crank FSA SL-K Carbon, 39/53
Chain Shimano Dura Ace 10-speed
Rear Cogs Shimano Dura Ace, 12-25
Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo
Front Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Derailleur Shimano Dura Ace
Shifters Shimano Dura Ace
Handlebars Cannondale Fire, 31.8 mm
Stem Cannondale Fire 3-D Forged
Headset FSA Alloy integrated
Brakeset Shimano Dura Ace
Brakelevers Shimano Dura Ace
Saddle Fi'zi:k Arione Mg
Seat Post Cannondale Carbon-wrapped

I was thinking Ritchey WCS cockpit, a handbuilt wheelset and either my old Poggio saddle or an SLR (or one of the new Ritchey's...god bless pro dealing). Go (relatively) wild y'all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProParadox

by ProParadox

Pro deal the ritchey deep dish carbon wheels (404 rim) and keep your ksyriums for training wheels (or sell them, and buy some inexpensive training wheels and spend the money on an ultegra cassette for your training wheels).

Then get the ritchey cockpit, and you got a nicer bike than most college kids I know.

I have a TCR with full DA, and soon to be Ritchey cockpit and deep dish wheels.

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

My collegiate team used to have a deal with Ritchey. Stuff took _forever_ to arrive. We placed the order in early February; the stuff didn't arrive until June or July. So if you pro-deal stuff now, you might not get it until very late in the collegiate road season next spring.

Just something to keep in mind.

pinky

by pinky

interesting to know, though I also can go for either Reynolds or Easton, anyone have experience with them??

ProParadox

by ProParadox

ctkrohn wrote:My collegiate team used to have a deal with Ritchey. Stuff took _forever_ to arrive. We placed the order in early February; the stuff didn't arrive until June or July. So if you pro-deal stuff now, you might not get it until very late in the collegiate road season next spring.

Just something to keep in mind.

This is true for some stuff. My wheels have taken forever. But the other stuff seems to get here very fast. Seems to be a bit dependent on what you order.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

My team is getting CAAD8 R5000's next year so here is what I plan to do with mine. I'm liking the polished silver one myself.

I am ordering the SI version with aluminum cranks, I'm taking all the record parts off my Wilier and onto the cannondale they go. But for the rest here's what I plan on doing.

Easton EC90 seatpost
Deda Newton oversized bar and stem(not lightest but very stiff)
Mavic Ksyrium SL's for group rides, ect
Zipp 404 tubulars for races/long rides
SLR Ti saddle (135grams, but if your butt can handle it!)

You can save some easy weight in the seatpost, stem, and handlebars. I like the deda's because they're stiff for sprinting but if you want something lighter the EC90 bars or WCS carbon bars are lighter. There are lighter stems too.

Wheels depend on what you want. Carbon rimmed wheels will easily be lighter but it depends on how durable you want/need them to be. I've had good experience with Zipp's. The new Rolf's seem to be okay. I'm hesitant with AC's only because they seem to always have some kind of warrenty. Last I heard, the Ritchey carbon wheels were available, as were the FSA carbon wheels.

If you can get WCS stuff at pro deal I'd order those for my bar and stem, oversized of course, with an EC90 seatpost.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Ask the shop if you can get a DA crank instead of the FSA. Also if you decide not to go to handbuilt you could ask the shop to put on the Ksyrium sl's.

just my 2 cents
Cannondale is quite simply the best

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pinky

by pinky

the 'dale is being prodeal'd too (I couldn't afford that much bike otherwise) so the DA crank isn't an option immidiately.
I was thinking of running a normal bar/stem as opposed to oversized stuff, I'm only 145 heavy and even with my 'massive' sprint ;) have never noticed any bar flex.
No carbon post, don't want to deal with.
Wheels I was thinking of losing the Elites getting a powertap/open pro then lacing some white industry hubs to a set of Ambrosio f20s