Pinarello Paris carbon - bike project ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Hey,

I will get you the SN by SKF for much better, much lighter bearings for the Pinarello - not cheap but its worth it

michael

by michael

I bought SKF bearings for Pinarello Montello. Something like 58euro for a pair. I remember they were a bit too high, but the diameter was exactly correct. Lighter and much higher quality. SN is a model name?

Erez_Pinarello wrote:Hey,

I will get you the SN by SKF for much better, much lighter bearings for the Pinarello - not cheap but its worth it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marathon

by marathon

michael wrote: I think the Paris carbon is a beautiful frame. Very light at sub 1000g, that's lighter than a Colnago Xtreme, the same weight as a Scott CR1. But it's nice shaped, I like the tear shaped downtube, the beefy BB area and the rearstay and fork. It looks very stiff too, not a frame that will break quickly (Colnago Xtreme :roll: ).

Where did you get the info, that Extreme C will brake quickly and do you accually have any data about the stiffnes, durability, etc. ...of one or the other?

C50 for example doesn't have beefy look as some other carbon frames but is well known for it's durability. Don't get me wrong I like Colnago, I like Pinarello but for now I think you are just assuming something by how each frame looks. I just don't think Ernesto Colnago would put some top of the line product on the market, that's not up to justify his reputation.

And for your weight of only 60kg you are just a little above Rasmussen's weight anyway and for you being so light, I really have problems imagening you could brake quality frame from pure power or forces generated by your weight anyway.

You are in my opinion to light to really have such an issue.... on the other hand I have 85kg, am quite powerful, have 6% bodyfat average and I understand if someone with my built will be worried if he brakes something.
Last edited by marathon on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Climb, climb, climb ...learn to like to climb!

www.mojTrener.com
www.mojPortal.com

Boonen

by Boonen

A bigger looking cf frame doesn't nescessarily have to be strong. As mentioned the C50 is very strong (ask any team mechanic working for a colnago sponsored team). Or how about a Parlee or a Spin? On the other hand take a look at Ridley's excalibur. Looks pretty strong, but... Other example would be the look 486.

Point is you can't judge a cf frame to be strong or stiff just by looking at it.

michael

by michael

Off course i'm not going to brake a frame because of my pedaling powerrrr :D

I was thinking more of crashes, etc... (I sure hope I'll not crash with this light - weight project bike :!: )

I've read that the Colnago Xtreme was first used in the uphill time trial on Alpe d"huez, but the frames weren't suitable for descending!

Yes, there are not much Colnago frames that brake... But if they do, they brake, they brake at the point the lugs come together. The Xtreme is lighter then the C50HM because of the use of shorter lugs (ok and a nonHP and 1 inch? :( ). I just don't like the whole idea...

I've a C40 Bstay and that is a rocksolid frame! I can image the C50HM is too.

But no Xtreme for me. I also think that the Pinarello is more high-tech. A monocoque frame is better than a lugged one. And the Pinarello has the same weight or less...

michael

by michael

:oops:

ok that's 1 clavicula for me please :P

nexusheli wrote:
Michael,

I promise you, with my hand on the bible and on my mother's grave, that the Paris Carbon does NOT use the MOst bottom bracket. Pinarello has this wonderful habit of reusing names on 8 different products so that they confuse you as much as possible. You're familiar with their Opera line of bikes, correct? What about the steel frame they did the last few years called the Opera? See what I mean?

What they're referring to as the MOST FP oversize is the BB area being beefed up with a lot of carbon to keep it stiff. They did the same thing with the F4:13, but it doesn't use the proprietary MOst BB. The only bikes that use the MOst BB are the Dogma FP, the Paris Aluminum, The Opera Leonardo FP and the Opera Giorgione. The rest of the Pinarello and Opera models all use a standard 70mm Italian BB shell. I swear on my life!

divve

by divve

I'm sort of on the fence with the Clavicula at the moment. I'm concerned about left crank arm to carbon spindle interface and the alignment of the spider. Campagnolo in that repect has always been prefect for me. Their chain rings run incredibly true. It also appears that TA rings fit best on the cranks but I'm not all that impressed with their shift quality.

I like to be able to save 200g on my new bike, maybe someone can convince me?

michael

by michael

so your question is which chainring is the best for a clavicula crankset?

I don't know which chainring I'm going to buy, either. I like the Campagnolo Record chainrings too :D

divve

by divve

Not that alone. I've heard from a guy that the actual carbon spider on the Clavicula isn't as perfectly aligned as on Campy Record for instance and that they're still working to improve the left crank interface.

Don't get me wrong. I really want them. I just would like to know whether the spider issue is an incidental case or not.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

divve wrote:I'm sort of on the fence with the Clavicula at the moment. I'm concerned about left crank arm to carbon spindle interface and the alignment of the spider. Campagnolo in that repect has always been prefect for me. Their chain rings run incredibly true. It also appears that TA rings fit best on the cranks but I'm not all that impressed with their shift quality.

I like to be able to save 200g on my new bike, maybe someone can convince me?

I can't convince you Divve. The shifting on the TA rings is definatley inferior. Its just a question of can you put up with this? It's definately beginning to bug the hell out of me.

michael

by michael

maybe :doh: from me, but do Campagnolo 110mm Compact Chainrings fit the Clavicula 110mm compact cranks?!!

If they do you have campa shifting with a better crankset (stiffer, lighter).

Oke, TA has a bigger choise in chainrings. I'd like to run 52/36 on my compact, campa doesn't have a 52t 110mm. :x :evil: :cry:

divve

by divve

I forgot what it exactly was, but Campy has done something so it's not compatible with 110 BCD.

divve

by divve

Found this:

"However, Campagnolo's CT cranks aren't 110mm. Campagnolo wanted to change the design of its carbon crank as little as possible, so the bolt placement on the crank arm is in a different position from the other four, which means only Campagnolo's own rings will fit."

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

If you are looking for a very light weight integrated bar-stem take a gander at CarbonTi's bars. The weight is only 280, and the design looks quite appropriate for a bike like the Paris Carbon. The prototype that I have is very stiff, but with just a touch of flex to take out the harshness of a bad road. I am expecting production models toward the end of the year. Also, the CarbonTi brakes may be appropriate for your project as well. The weight is the same as the very light AX brakes, but the design is very svelte while being suprisingly stiff. Just starting to test them out now, but the initial feel is very good. Not sure who is the distributor in your neighborhood, but it seems like stuff you might find worth looking at.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

divve

by divve

michael, perhaps the new compact rings for aluminum Centaur will fit. They use a standard 5 arm configuration. Not sure whether it's 110 BCD however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com