Ti bolt thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StuTheWeak

by StuTheWeak

prendrefeu wrote:
5 8 5 wrote:Can't believe you had a go at StuTheWeak the other day about his brake post and then you start this thread!

There's a clear difference. KWalker is starting a thread about bolts. Specifically, resources of bolts. Not "what bolt should I get?" Not "what size bolt do I need?" (although those are useful too, and as you pointed out lists already do exist with some searching)
Furthermore, he has not started countless threads for each individual component of a build in progress.
THAT is what StuTheWeak is doing: starting a separate thread for each individual component choice for his build.
Very big difference.

Please continue, KWalker.

Next time I'll know to ask, "What brakeset & source, mind you not size of brakeset, if I were torn between TRP 920 & SRAM Red brakesets, given you would have suggested either TRP 920 and/or SRAM Red brakesets in the first place provided this question doesn't offend Pren's delicate sensabilities?".
Specialized Allez 06' "Rain Bike" 21.50lbs
Neuvation F100 11' "Road Bike" 16.80lbs
Specialized Tarmac Pro 11' "WW Bike" 14.25lbs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rick

by Rick

I also had problems with racebolts.

Probolt-USA has very high quality Ti bolts with certified Titanium and rolled threads. It does make a difference! THey look like little polished jewels, with flawless surface finishes.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/Products/Tit ... ap_Tapered

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

SL58 wrote:I attempted to order from http://exeneli-store.com/ and they slap me with
$32 delivery for $4 bolt. What am I doing wrong?

200 gram DHL airfreight from China. I had the same but around 50 items. Washers, nuts, bolts etc.
I would not be surprised if they are the source for many shops.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

zzeuzz

by zzeuzz

or you buy your screws from me :)

i have a big titanium onlinestore and have good prices. m5 and m6 i have everytime on stock. send me a mail or pm

ronny

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Other than Du Lite anywhere else doing ti bowties for Speedplays? Looksl ike Toronto and Jersey no longer do the alu bowties. I have ordered some ti fixing bolts for the bowties from Jersey cycles though so looking forward togetting those and comparing weights before and after

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

TCx wrote:5 8 5 / Madcow is the list of bolt sizes still the same as that posted in the original thread (info quite old now) and do you know how it stands for Di2 ? (obviously some bits will be the same, but what about the front and rear mech bolts?).

I've just ordered from Toronto (hollow rear mech hanged for Di2) hope it's goin to be ok when it gets here. Just had a look on 'probolt' (I'm UK based) and the prices are a fair bit more expensive than elsewhere :shock: happy to go with them if the quality is that much better, but I need to make sure I order the right thing first time!
Thanks for your help :thumbup:

TCx, I don't own Di2 but there are a number of threads re. tuning and modding on the board.
Are you looking at the British version of the site http://www.pro-bolt.com for pricing? Their bolts etc are excellent quality.

KWalker

by KWalker

I will note that the ano bolts I got from Toronto were all a different shade of blue and it seemed to evaporate from a few of the pivot bolts and mech bolts that I never got to mount. The rest were fine.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

zzeuzz

by zzeuzz

the titanium speedplay bowties comes all from me, also the dulite bowties. send me a mail or pm.

ronny

doozer

by doozer

I've tuned my ridely noah with bolts from these guys>>

http://www.pro-bolt.com/

Alu drilled washers, alu bottle boss bolts, Ti M6 for seatcamp, Ti stem bolts * 6 etc..

I'm in the UK. prob need to check EU and Int. shipping but product quality is very good.

dooz
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

Pro-Bolt products are very, very nice. I ordered them for the first time a few months ago and was impressed with the finish quality. After seeing the above pictures, I'm reluctant to order elsewhere.

That said, I'm using a Bontrager xxxlite stem that uses 4 steel M5 bolts with 17mm long threads for the faceplate. Thinking they were 15mm, I ordered 4 titanium M5 15mm bolts from Pro-Bolt. The threads aren't deep enough to accommodate a 20mm bolt, the next longest size. About 11mm of the stock bolts actually penetrate the threads in the stem when the bars are correctly clamped. Do you think the 9mm of overlap from the 15mm bolts is too short to justify swapping out the stock bolts?

This is my first post, though I've searched around this forum for a few months. A lot of very knowledgeable bike geeks here--I love it. Thank you in advance for the advice.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

My background is not in engineering, so this was new to me:

"It has been established that, for carbon steel, there is no increase in thread shear strength by having a thread engagement length in excess of the screw diameter. It is normal practice to use a tapped hole depth of about 1.5x nominal diameter - this allows at least 1 diameter of good thread engagement. A very simple rule that can be applied for that vast majority of applications is that a thread length of 80% of the screw diameter (standard nut height) is sufficient for ensuring that the screw will fail in tension before the female thread (nut) fails in thread stripping (assuming the screw and nut are similar materials)."

I found this page (especially the last table, with precalculated thread engagement length values) very helpful: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/ ... Calcs.html

Although 300 series stainless steel and 6Al4V titanium have different properties, they seem functionally identical for the stresses experienced on a bike. Applying the above principles, an M5 bolt (5mm nominal diameter) should require about 5mm of thread engagement length to prevent thread stripping. The 9mm of thread engagement my M5 bolts would achieve seems more than sufficient.

I hope others also find this useful and interesting.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

That's OK if male and female threads are both the same material, as the female thread is aluminium you should have at least 2x the bolt diameter, so I'd stick to using the stock bolt length.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

Tenlegs wrote:That's OK if male and female threads are both the same material, as the female thread is aluminium you should have at least 2x the bolt diameter, so I'd stick to using the stock bolt length.

Right you are. I had assumed the threads bonded into the stem were steel; they're aluminum. I think I'll stick with the stock bolts. This thread length calculator takes the shear and tensile strength of both male and female threads into account: www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/e3_6e.htm

kman

by kman

I've made three decent sized orders over time from Toronto. On my last order, a set of chainring bolts was faulty - the threads didn't engage properly and the bolt would pull out of the nut almost using your fingers (either one was too small/too big or the threads weren't rolled properly). Tom replied to emails within a few days and once he had checked his other stock and confirmed the problem he sent me an alternative set as a replacement at no cost to me.
I agree with the other statements about anodised colours not matching.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com