Which wheels is better?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fengshui

by Fengshui

The upgrading bug strikes again :D

I am looking for a pair of light low profile clincher wheels. Narrowed down my choices to 2 (pls help me choose one)

1) Campagnolo Neutron(22 front, 24rear if I am not wrong)

2) Record hubs with DT revolution spokes. Rims will be either Open Pro or DT R1.1 (any idea how does Ambrosio excelite compare to these rims?). front and rear 28 spokes each.

The Neutron will costs around $880 while the 2nd option will cost probably 50-60% the price of the Neutron.

Which option will offer stronger wheels (190lb here)? How much lighter will the Neutrons be?

Thank you!

divve

by divve

I don't know about the Neutrons, but you're too heavy for the hand build that you suggest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I ride 32 hole Open Pros and I find them to be very durable (I ride them with a flat when left without a choice and have only trued them once).

johan_museeuw

by johan_museeuw

Here you will find some hand built Record w/ Open Pro wheels available from Ribble in the UK - Very price at less than GBP180!
Last edited by johan_museeuw on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fengshui

by Fengshui

I do not hand using a 32 hole (both wheels) hand build. In this case, what will be the strength, durability and weight between Neutron and the hand build?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

996vtwin

by 996vtwin

I love the Campag Neutrons. I rode one last year and loved them, I traded them for some SL but finally regretted it. I recently purchased the Neutron Carbon which are a bit lighter. The only complaint I have with teh Neutrons are the difficulty in replacing clinchers, its a complaint I have heard from many people.