Tyre choice for Enve SMART wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NGMN

by NGMN

One thing that Zipp has talked about with regard to tires, is that even though wider tires "look" better, in lining up with the rim and filling the tire bed on the new ultra wide wheels, often times the 21-23mm tires are still faster aerodynamically.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commfire

by commfire

I know Enve recommends 22-23mm tubulars, does that hold true for the clinchers as well. The internal rim width is supposedly 18mm on the front rim. Sounds awfully wide for a 22m tire. What are people using on the clincher version of the Smart system wheels?
I would love to know these are compatible with veloflex master 23mm

Thanks

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I used the 23mm Vittoria's and it was perfect on the clinchers. Also had a client use the 25mm Vittoria and he reported it was a very plush ride.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

trilocus

by trilocus

I used veloflex carbon and now schwalbe ultremo ht in 23

alibongo

by alibongo

I opted for the cx 25's. The decision for the 25's over the 23's was simple I didn't feel comfortable seeing the rim being wider than the tubular. Feel fast and work well, little better than my 404 FC clinchers.

I hope that this wider tub will offer a bit of protection if I slam a pot hole or something. Just my view as they don't have mp3 option with enve.
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

thatdkid

by thatdkid

I have Conti 23c 4000s on my Enve 3.4 SES clinchers and with the width of the rim the tire ends up measuring 25c on the from and 24c on the rear. BTW easily the best riding bomb proof wheel set i have ever ridden.

commfire wrote:I know Enve recommends 22-23mm tubulars, does that hold true for the clinchers as well. The internal rim width is supposedly 18mm on the front rim. Sounds awfully wide for a 22m tire. What are people using on the clincher version of the Smart system wheels?
I would love to know these are compatible with veloflex master 23mm

Thanks

VNTech

by VNTech

We tested the 6.7's with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX 21, 23 and 25mm tubulars during out last wheel test. 21mm is fastest at most yaw angles. 25 pulls ahead at really high yaw (15, 20). 23 and 25 are virtually identical from -5 to 5, but 23 pulls way ahead at 10.

In other words, 23 seems the best all-around (since riding 21's just sucks). 25's are still plenty fast, particularly in low wind or really high wind. The difference between 23 and 25 is small enough that I'd personally pick 25's for the rolling resistance and comfort.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

NGMN

by NGMN

one thing to go along with what VN is saying, is that some tires will work drastically different in the system. Generally, Conti and Zipp tires test better aerodynamically than say Veloflex or Vittoria because Conti and ZIpp have a better transition from tread to sidewall and a slightly less "rounded" and more leading edge shape.

Bontrager has an old graph on this, essentially demonstrating the interaction between rolling resistance and aerodynamics of tires.