HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm 

Vidman explains it much much better than me. I would really follow his advise if I were you. Now that i look at teh logos, they are not so bad at all, just the one on the seatpost seems like should be deleted, but anyway, it's ok. I don't get the four entrances for cables, but that must be something i didn't read yet. it's a great frame.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 pm 

Very well said vidman.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm 

Actually, at the moment I couldn't care less about the graphics on the frames. I think both frames, the carbon and TI one look pretty great. It has to be applauded that someone is gutsy enough to go it this way and I am really looking forward to see how things are progressing.

How the finished frames will eventually look like (branding, logos, graphic design and all), considering the frames are still under development, is currently not really relevant. Perhaps by that time you (Elviento) could have a 'shootout' between the experts, who have commented on the branding/logos.
I think, it will be interesting to see how they will react, if people will not react favourably to their designs. I wonder if they are up to challenge ............

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm 

RWH wrote:
Actually, at the moment I couldn't care less about the graphics on the frames. I think both frames, the carbon and TI one look pretty great. It has to be applauded that someone is gutsy enough to go it this way and I am really looking forward to see how things are progressing.

How the finished frames will eventually look like (branding, logos, graphic design and all), considering the frames are still under development, is currently not really relevant. Perhaps by that time you (Elviento) could have a 'shootout' between the experts, who have commented on the branding/logos.
I think, it will be interesting to see how they will react, if people will not react favourably to their designs. I wonder if they are up to challenge ............

Branding not relevant? not for performance, but saying branding is not relevant in terms of business, in contemporary world, it's quite a great joke if you ask me. Tell Pinarello branding is not important, hehehe.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm 

Yep, I cannot deny that branding is important, but only if you have a ready product to sell. However I believe this project is still very much ongoing and focus is mostly on working out the technical development/solutions for the frames. Therefor currently/right now/at this moment/heute/maintenant branding is not really relevant.

Once Elviento decides to enter the market with ready frames/bikes, well than it is another matter.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 am 

I want to know how smooth the rear derailleur cable routing is with it going down the seat stay. That's a sharper bend than the chainstay because it bends twice before the rear loop and I definitely noticed that my cross bike did not shift well with such a setup.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 am 

if the housing is uninterrupted, it should shift fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm 

Bends still create friction. I dunno, I found it to be a slight difference on my cross bike and didn't care, but I would on a road bike.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 am 

I went with internal routes on my monster cx bike. It does add a little bit of friction(I'm using Ilinks) compared with external routes but it's not too bad.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 am 

The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.
They follow the brake cables more closely and look neater.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm 

BobSantini wrote:
The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.

What do you mean? You put the right shift cable into the left downtube shift boss on the frame?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:34 pm 

Exactly, If you notice that's what I did. The adjuster is on the FD cable.

bones wrote:
BobSantini wrote:

What do you mean? You put the right shift cable into the left downtube shift boss on the frame?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm 

BobSantini wrote:

exactly, I do that too.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 am 

@elviento
Awesome work, I take my hat off to guys like you and Berk that go that extra step and actually realize the dream of designing and making your own parts / bikes
The closest experience I have had is painting my own bike, and restoring a steel bike where I polished and refurbished all the parts, and I know the satisfaction of seeing a project reach finalization.

I take my hat off to you for following a dream and designing your own bike and finding manufacturers.

The logo and paint of a bike is always very subjective, and although many members here are offering advice on font, logo, etc, it is the manner in which they have gone about it that I find distasteful.
By all means offer support and free advice, but elviento has gone to a lot of effort and obviously has his ideas and product image that he is projecting.

I look forward to seeing some ride reports and finished products.

Cheers
Ozrider

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 am 

as another data point: yes, that font is bad.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next