HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands
Vidman explains it much much better than me. I would really follow his advise if I were you. Now that i look at teh logos, they are not so bad at all, just the one on the seatpost seems like should be deleted, but anyway, it's ok. I don't get the four entrances for cables, but that must be something i didn't read yet. it's a great frame.

_________________
Happy Trails !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:40 pm
Posts: 316
Location: CA
Very well said vidman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Turku, Finland
Actually, at the moment I couldn't care less about the graphics on the frames. I think both frames, the carbon and TI one look pretty great. It has to be applauded that someone is gutsy enough to go it this way and I am really looking forward to see how things are progressing.

How the finished frames will eventually look like (branding, logos, graphic design and all), considering the frames are still under development, is currently not really relevant. Perhaps by that time you (Elviento) could have a 'shootout' between the experts, who have commented on the branding/logos.
I think, it will be interesting to see how they will react, if people will not react favourably to their designs. I wonder if they are up to challenge ............

_________________
Never give up, never say die.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands
RWH wrote:
Actually, at the moment I couldn't care less about the graphics on the frames. I think both frames, the carbon and TI one look pretty great. It has to be applauded that someone is gutsy enough to go it this way and I am really looking forward to see how things are progressing.

How the finished frames will eventually look like (branding, logos, graphic design and all), considering the frames are still under development, is currently not really relevant. Perhaps by that time you (Elviento) could have a 'shootout' between the experts, who have commented on the branding/logos.
I think, it will be interesting to see how they will react, if people will not react favourably to their designs. I wonder if they are up to challenge ............


Branding not relevant? not for performance, but saying branding is not relevant in terms of business, in contemporary world, it's quite a great joke if you ask me. Tell Pinarello branding is not important, hehehe.

_________________
Happy Trails !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Turku, Finland
Yep, I cannot deny that branding is important, but only if you have a ready product to sell. However I believe this project is still very much ongoing and focus is mostly on working out the technical development/solutions for the frames. Therefor currently/right now/at this moment/heute/maintenant branding is not really relevant.

Once Elviento decides to enter the market with ready frames/bikes, well than it is another matter.

_________________
Never give up, never say die.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: DC
I want to know how smooth the rear derailleur cable routing is with it going down the seat stay. That's a sharper bend than the chainstay because it bends twice before the rear loop and I definitely noticed that my cross bike did not shift well with such a setup.

_________________
Don't take me too seriously. Super Six Evo Hi-Mod


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:37 am
Posts: 83
if the housing is uninterrupted, it should shift fine.

_________________
α


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: DC
Bends still create friction. I dunno, I found it to be a slight difference on my cross bike and didn't care, but I would on a road bike.

_________________
Don't take me too seriously. Super Six Evo Hi-Mod


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Norcal
I went with internal routes on my monster cx bike. It does add a little bit of friction(I'm using Ilinks) compared with external routes but it's not too bad.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:03 am
Posts: 292
The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.
They follow the brake cables more closely and look neater.

_________________
r o y g b i v


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:38 am
Posts: 413
BobSantini wrote:
The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.
They follow the brake cables more closely and look neater.



What do you mean? You put the right shift cable into the left downtube shift boss on the frame?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm
Posts: 93
Location: Norcal
Exactly, If you notice that's what I did. The adjuster is on the FD cable.

bones wrote:
BobSantini wrote:
The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.
They follow the brake cables more closely and look neater.



What do you mean? You put the right shift cable into the left downtube shift boss on the frame?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 pm
Posts: 715
Location: Netherlands
BobSantini wrote:
The other thing wrong with internal shifter routing is that you have no choice as to which side you run your cables.
I and many others choose to cross our cables at the front to achieve an easy curve and then cross them back under the down tube.
They follow the brake cables more closely and look neater.


exactly, I do that too.

_________________
Happy Trails !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:06 am
Posts: 632
Location: Perth, Western Australia
@elviento
Awesome work, I take my hat off to guys like you and Berk that go that extra step and actually realize the dream of designing and making your own parts / bikes
The closest experience I have had is painting my own bike, and restoring a steel bike where I polished and refurbished all the parts, and I know the satisfaction of seeing a project reach finalization.

I take my hat off to you for following a dream and designing your own bike and finding manufacturers.

The logo and paint of a bike is always very subjective, and although many members here are offering advice on font, logo, etc, it is the manner in which they have gone about it that I find distasteful.
By all means offer support and free advice, but elviento has gone to a lot of effort and obviously has his ideas and product image that he is projecting.

I look forward to seeing some ride reports and finished products.

Cheers
Ozrider

_________________
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL 2011 (6055g/13.32lbs) Raleigh RC Ltd 2008 (7.6kg) Reynolds 653 Custom 1990 (9.8kg, now 8.8kg)
The accumulation of marginal gains is what makes the difference between winning and losing


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:37 am
Posts: 83
as another data point: yes, that font is bad.

_________________
α


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derf, dofman, Google Adsense [Bot], HaroldC, ipump, literider, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Falco Bikes

in Road

teufelhunden222

11

2429

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 am

Phill P View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Frame Design

in Road

moman

1

373

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 pm

jekyll man View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Castelli Velocissimo vs Castelli Endurance bibs

in Road

digitalnorbs

5

826

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 pm

HillRPete View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Interesting new crank design from Zencranks

in Road

SWijland

12

1612

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:03 am

elSid View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rotor Aero Q-rings, is there a new 2014 design?

in Road

ill principe

9

947

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

dominikk View the latest post


It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB