Campagnolo Index Spring Carrier

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micropox

by micropox

Hi,

My Campagnolo Record Ergo 10 Right Index spring carrier just broke (broken post). Looking for a replacement in ebay. Found out there are two kinds. One is made of metal (EC-RE111 for chorus) and the other one is not (EC-RE065 for record). The one i have that broke was the EC-RE065. Would it be more durable and will i get more mileage if i use the EC-RE111? Was wondering why they use plastic carrier on Record ergo while chorus ergo have metal carrier...

Thanks for your input.

kac

by kac

I don't know the answer to your question, but Branford Bikes (in Seattle) carries all the replacement parts and may be able to help you.

KAC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

The plastic carrier save weight but that's about it.
Personally I prefer the metal one as they also come with stiffer springs than the ones used on the Record level shifters.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I know a mechanic that works at the Campy tech center for Canada and for all 10sp. record or chorus they always use the

cam-ec-re111 carrier and cam-ec-re209 springs.

better to go metal since it will be stiffer and last longer.
██

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Use the metal one

here's a source http://www.bikeman.com/LD9730.html

and replace springs a the same time.

It will shift better than new.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tommasini

by tommasini

If I recall correctly, I think that the "plastic" carrier was actually a form of injection molded carbon fiber - maybe similar to the molded lever body? And it was to reduce weight a small bit.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

To expand on my previous answer.

One of my biggest peeves wrt Campy has been their belief that their users hands are gradually getting weaker, and that therefore they should make the shift action more gentle with each iteration. My mid-'90's Syncro 2 shifters are fabulously mechanical and precise. My early '00's "BB System" 10-speed ergos are good, and then it goes downhill with "Ultra" and worst the new design 2009 vintage levers with no feel at all. Exhibit 1 is the 2004 catalog:

When the pro's got their hands on these there was some complaining about the softer action, and Campy's response was to introduce a very expensive, "limited edition" "Red" lever. Remember that? Sold for ridiculous amounts. They had simply reverted to the older carrier and springs, painted the logo in red and charged twice as much.

I like Campy stuff but am certainly not an unreserved fanboi - especially of their "Marketing".

One.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

When the pro's got their hands on these there was some complaining about the softer action, and Campy's response was to introduce a very expensive, "limited edition" "Red" lever. Remember that? Sold for ridiculous amounts. They had simply reverted to the older carrier and springs, painted the logo in red and charged twice as much.

Still using the "Red" ones, they shift exactly the same way as my other set of shifters: a Centaur from 2005....
Can't quite remember how much more expensive than regalar Record shifters those "Reds" went for but in Europe it was not all that excessive.
It may be a totally different story in the USA where anything Campa is scaringly expensive IMO.

As for marketing, dunno, that Red edition is their only "funny" move I can recall. I've seen a lot more hyperbole from other companies.....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

As for marketing, dunno, that Red edition is their only "funny" move I can recall. I've seen a lot more hyperbole from other companies.....

Generally I'm talking about the relatively tiny technical differences between their high end groups, vs. the massive difference in price. I could cite lots of examples from the past, but right now there is almost a 2:1 difference in price between Chorus and SR, and there is no way anyone is going to convince me that the technical difference justifies that.

Reminds me about a passage in John DeLorean's book about his time at GM when the difference between a Chevy and a Caddy was $300 in manufacturing and $3000 at the dealer.

With Campy the difference between their Chevy and Caddy has sometimes been little more than the label and a hefty markup.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micropox

by micropox

thanks guys for all you feedbacks..

will definitely get the metal carrier (EC-RE111) :D