700 Gram frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I just got this pre-production frame from Sarto and was really impressed so I thought I'd share it.

Frame is a 54cm top tube and it comes in at 712.7 grams. One with the 52cm top tube that I prefer will definitely come in at sub700 grams. Headtube is a tapered 1.125" to 1.5" Finish is matte on a 1k carbon. BB30. And even more impressive at this weight is full internal cable routing for both shifters and brake. The fork is definitely heavy compared to the frame but it's a pretty massive aero fork. The production one will come with a lighter fork. And even if it doesn't an Enve 1.0 tapered fork would be a great match for this frame. The frame also has a chip inside the seat tube that contains all the pertinent information about size, geometry, when it was built etc... Not really something that makes a difference to the consumer, but I think it does say a lot about the attention to detail they are putting into this one.

I have numbers on this frame (both stiffness and price) I just need to remember where I put them. Once I get those I'll make sure to add them to the post. I do remember that I was surprised by the price, not because it was high, but because it was quite low compared to other frames in the ultra light weight class.
Attachments
sarto0.jpg
sarto1.jpg
sarto2.jpg
sarto3.jpg
sarto4.jpg
sarto5.jpg
sarto6.jpg

Estelja

by Estelja

Jason,

What's up with the big cut-out in the BB? Reminds me of the ornate cut-outs in the early '80's steel bikes that let in water no matter what kind of shield you ran in the BB. There aren't any intra-cup shields even available for BB30, are there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Looks like a very slackidasical head tube on the stock geometry, so a fork with at least 5 cm rake would be useful here:

http://www.sartocycles.com/index.php/cms/24/Leggera

Relatively short head tubes, though. Good stuff.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Paintjob is pretty pants but that's an exciting frame! Awesome weight and if, as Madcow says, it comes with value - I think we might be seeing a few of them here on WW. :)

timtri13

by timtri13

ouch this weight with all the new standart it's really pretty sexy :thumbup: :thumbup:

what a crazy frame 8) 8)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Estelja wrote:Jason,

What's up with the big cut-out in the BB? Reminds me of the ornate cut-outs in the early '80's steel bikes that let in water no matter what kind of shield you ran in the BB. There aren't any intra-cup shields even available for BB30, are there?

Cutout is for the internal cable exit and is horizontal enough that water shouldn't collect. Bearing shouldn't be an issue as they are no more exposed from the inside than from the outside. (except for maybe Campag)

djconnel wrote:Looks like a very slackidasical head tube on the stock geometry, so a fork with at least 5 cm rake would be useful here:

http://www.sartocycles.com/index.php/cms/24/Leggera

Relatively short head tubes, though. Good stuff.

You're looking at the geometry for a stock frame in a different models, these won't be stock frames, they'll be custom geometry.

ergott

by ergott

I volunteer to test the 54cm.

I promise to ride the crap out of it and report back often.

-Eric 8)

mythical

by mythical

Damn nice! 8) Prego, uno test ride! :mrgreen:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

kgt

by kgt

So, an italian frame can be a ww frame also! :thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

First ever...

HighCadence

by HighCadence

Who would want to ride a bike built with a 700 gram frame.

Oh Yes, one of these Guys. A weight weenie.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... t%20weenie

weight weenie
Road Bicycle enthusiast who becomes obsessed with subtracting weight from his bicycle at all costs, including overriding safety concerns and practicality. A Weight Weenie will always replace a 100 gram component with a 99 gram component regardless of all other factors, including cost, durability, and overall design and functionality. Materials that are commonly used in the pursuit of lightness include: aluminum, carbon fiber, composites, and titanium.

eric

by eric

I like the finish. Carbon fiber looks cool.

I like how they lined up the weave where they wrap the joints. It makes it look like its monocoque.

Is this the "super custom" frame that's on their web site? Does it use their "lightweight" tubing?

Rippin

by Rippin

That Sarto looks really interesting. Will there be a weight limit like their Superleggera frame (170 lbs)?
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

HighCadence wrote:Who would want to ride a bike built with a 700 gram frame.

Oh Yes, one of these Guys. A weight weenie.

I hope that was said in jest otherwise you have completely missed the point of this forum.

Looks good!
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

flying

by flying

Can we ask how much Jason?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com