SunTour 4-Prong

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moman

by moman

Firstly, apologies if this is wrongly posted and that this is my first post.

I've lurked this site since 2009 and have learnt so much from its contents but not this. I have been stumped for this for a while now so I thought, ask the experts!

After removing a ST 4-prong lock can I put on a modern Shimano splined lock? My reason is, I bought an old Gazelle to train on. I'd like parts to be easily interchangeble, ie. cassette sizes and ratios. Also it needs a good clean.

I hope this isn't a palm meets face situation and will be grateful for any response.

Cheers!
moman

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SDP

by SDP

are we talkiing about the freewheel ? cogs ?

if so yes a shimano one of same width will fit

assume its a 6 or 7 speed ?? i know a few 8spd ones but cassette came to the fore then

styrrell

by styrrell

My guess is that by 4 prong suntour you mean that thwe entire gear assembly (freewheel) comes off. This would leave just a simple threaded stub left behind on the wheel and not a long barrell that rotates.

If this is correct then you have to put on another frewheel. They come in vARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS, BUT IT BASICALLY AN OUTDATED SYSTEM BY ABOUT 20 years (sorry cap button). You can find some new freewheels but they are difficult to find.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I assume the OP meant to write "block" rather than "lock". Freewheels (blocks) are easy enough to buy new in 5-7 speed, just not in road ratios, unless you hunt around ebay. If you've got a typical old school double though (52/42) then that will usually be ok, as long as your rear mech isn't super short cage.

OrbeaAgony

by OrbeaAgony

Freewheels contain the bearings and thread onto the hub, requiring specific tools to remove. Be sure to attach the tool with your quick release skewer, or it may slip off and damage the freewheel or the tool. Don't crank the QR tight, just enough to hold the tool when you first loosen the freewheel . You will not find a freewheel with more than 8 cogs.

Modern cassettes are only the cogs on a mount and the freewheel mechanism is on the hub. The modern freehubs are splined and the cassette is affixed with a lockring, which also requires proper tool and chainwhip to hold the cassette while removing. Cassettes range from 7-11 gears and are generally mated to the shifter and derailleur.

Good luck
1984 Ciocc Aquila 84 - SLX frame and full Campy Super Record
2006 Orbea Lobular - Aluminum and Carbon frame with Ultegra