I need some fenders for my winter bike...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I have them as well and I was impressed with how much protection from water they give. Installation was a bit finicky but once installed I hardly noticed them. There's a neat installation video on youtube somewhere. A guy fits them to a Trek-bike and gives a couple of cool tips on how to avoid scraping and so on.

If you buy them, be a little smarter than me and use electrical tape where the fenders (well, not the fenders, but those stick-like things that go to your fork and seat stays) touch the frame. They advise it, I didn't do it and my paint got scratched after one ride.

hmai18

by hmai18

I had Crud Mk2s, and I wasn't a huge fan of the durability and the little bristle brushes used to keep the things centred on my wheels. Switched to SKS Raceblade Longs for this season and they've been OK so far. I zip-tied the nose of the Crud rear fender to the L-bracket from the RBLs and essentially have a full-coverage rear all the way down to the BB now.

My only gripe with these is they won't clear a 25c tire on my CAAD10 and I'm waiting for the inevitable rattling to start up.

If you don't mind spending a bit more, I'd take a look at the PDW FMF: https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/fenders/f ... al-fenders:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

The road racers are shitty design that flop around and rub on the wheels. Any design that requires bristles rubbing on the tires to work properly is shit in my books. I couldn't stand the them and threw them out. Would not recommend.

Just go with something classic like those above if you want to put them on and leave it for the winter. You don't need all metal but you want them to be solid. I personally really like the SKS race blades b/c I hate riding fenders and like the ease of taking them off when I can through the winter.

PJCM

by PJCM

Another plug for Road Racer Mk2s.

A bit fiddly to fit and the floating/brush system does look a bit suspect at first but they work really well.

Fit my close clearance frame and 25mm tires perfectly and push loads of water down under the bike rather than all over me and the drivetrain. Dead quiet too.

Backup service looks good too, with replacement parts readily available at low cost.

damitamit

by damitamit

I have a set of Curana C-Lite fenders on my winter bike. The fender package all together is shit, but the metal is a good shape so I modded them.

Also, as this is weight weenies, I replaced the steel stays with carbon rod! (70g vs 8g)

ImageImage

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^Where do you purchase CF rod from? That's an awesome mod.

damitamit

by damitamit

^^^Where do you purchase CF rod from? That's an awesome mod.

CF rod is from a kite shop on ebay.

I cut the existing metal stays and bonded the rod to them using JB Weld (the bit in the photo with heatshrink on it). The makeshift mounts on the frame are Crud RoadRacer plastic rubber thing on the front fork and some bits of Meccano on the rear stay. Probably done a couple of thousand miles on them now and they've been fine (after some adjustments).

dem

by dem

That raises the question.. what ARE the lightest fender combinations? Either stock, or modified? Most seem 400-500+ grams.

There were those Berthoud carbon fiber fenders but they seem to be NLA for years, and not so great function anyways.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

damitamit wrote:CF rod is from a kite shop on ebay.

Thanks for the installation and supplier info. :beerchug: