I need some fenders for my winter bike...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ak47

by ak47

Still sunny weather over next few days here in Poland, but it's about time I should start thinking about mudguards for my winter bike. It's a 2010 Jamis cross bike which has full fender mounts. I've heard good opinions on SKS Chromoplastics, but when I was about to order them I thought that maybe there are better alternatives out there. I run 25c tires. Any thoughts?

BTW The weather is going to get worse in a few days (it's not bad now at all :thumbup: ) so thought this topic might be also a good place to share information and suggestions about mudguards/fenders choice for our road or cross winter bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

With 25c tyres I would wait for a while to get the new SKS Race Blade Longs. The new model was introduced in the euro/interbike this fall.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/sks-raceb ... otted.html

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

I have the Bluemels Mat fenders, which I recall being similar in construction to the Chromoplastics. I managed to break the rear fender at the top (I think I wrapped something around up there) and called to purchase a replacement (since I'd bought direct on an industry deal). They sent me a complete new set and a pump head for a pump I'd gotten at the same time, because they'd "had a problem with a couple." Can't beat the service, and the fenders are dead quiet unlike my buddy's stylish Velo Orange fenders (I suspect some of that is user error though).

I'm a bit worried about how brittle the plastic will be in cooler weather especially given that I've already cracked one, but they've got my business.
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

kervelo wrote:With 25c tyres I would wait for a while to get the new SKS Race Blade Longs.

Not sure about the skewer stay clamps.

After breaking two SKS rear blades (full guard) at the brake bridge I bought a set of Crud Road Racer Mk2s and have been very impressed with them.

shadwell

by shadwell

Also went with the CRUD road racer 2....
took a little twaeking to clear the bugger all clearance on my crapper bikes deda front fork, but once done they are very impressive....
No use now though cos its Summer approachin down here....

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

kervelo

by kervelo

5 8 5 wrote:
kervelo wrote:With 25c tyres I would wait for a while to get the new SKS Race Blade Longs.

Not sure about the skewer stay clamps.

After breaking two SKS rear blades (full guard) at the brake bridge I bought a set of Crud Road Racer Mk2s and have been very impressed with them.

Actually I am also using the Crud Road Racer Mk2s. The installation to my Cervelo S1 with 23c tyres was not possible without some tweaks, however, so I would not necessarily recommend them to be used with 25c tyres.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I'm using 25s with no problem but I understand what you're saying. I tried to fit Cruds to a Giant but the clearances were too tight to fit without modification.
One of the best features of the Mk2s is the shrouded forward piece of the rear. That is superb and stops a lot of crap from getting onto the front mech and chainrings.
I've modified mine to fit the chainstay bridge rather than the seat tube. The availabilty of all spares is a boon as well.
With your cross bike you shouldn't have any clearance issues with anything.

celeste55

by celeste55

Any guess on how the cruds would fit a BMC SLX01? I wasn't sure if the lower angle of the seatstays would mess with it, or the aero cut out in the seattube?
There is nothing lighter than a hole

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Just by looking at some photos it "appears" you may have enough clearance (brake blocks towards the bottom of the caliper slot). It does depend on the brake bridge though. Crud say try putting a 4mm allen key between the tyre and caliper / bridge or fork. If it fits they should be okay.

Assuming the main blade fits I think the shrouded front section may fit (depends on tyre clearance). It would drop below the chainstays and would probably need to be shortened. If the shroud doesn't fit a short nose is supplied so it would be like the Mk1 version.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

hi, if it helps I use 25mm conti gatorskins with these crud guards- they work out ok especially with a bit of bending/moving the arms- if you can get your bike in a stand or hung up and keep the wheels spinning you can get them really nicely set up in a few minutes.

I would say though- these aren't the most robust things I ever purchased- if you ride on smooth tarmac with no gravel, leaves etc then they'll be fine, but if (like me) you ride on roads near farms with lots of muck, gravel, bits of hedges been cut etc lying on the roads after rain then the guards take a beating.

I've had the little brush inside the guard come off on both the front and back- the back I picked up and glued back on with tub glue so that's cool, but the front I lost- guess it came out on the road. I don't know if you can buy spares but for now I just took the front off.
Also you'll find if there is a lot of grit/mud on the road it causes some crazy rubbing inside the tyres

In summary- a good solution to use your best bike in the wet on nice roads, but maybe not a full on bombproof no messing winter solution for everyone. I should add I've had these just about a year now, with not insanely high mileage.
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Tallboy wrote:I've had the little brush inside the guard come off on both the front and back- the back I picked up and glued back on with tub glue so that's cool, but the front I lost- guess it came out on the road. I don't know if you can buy spares but for now I just took the front off.
Also you'll find if there is a lot of grit/mud on the road it causes some crazy rubbing inside the tyres

I ride a lot on similar roads. I've done thousands of miles and not had that problem. I do wash my bike a lot though.
The guards need to be degreased before fitting the brushes.

The brushes are available as spares as are all the other parts. The brushes are in fact just standard draft excluder cut to size. You could obtain replacements from your local DIY or hardware store.

exhibitx

by exhibitx

SKS Chromoplastics are great. Best fenders I've ever used.

No rattling or rubbing, once you get a hang of mounting them, they are easy to work with.

Horacio

by Horacio

Never purchased fenders before and I'm wondering what's simple, effective, yet semi aesthetically pleasing for wet weather riding on a road bike. There had to be some new offerings at Innerbike, so if anyone saw something that looked interesting, I'd like to hear about it. In advance, thanks.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I like my Crud road-racer mk2's for the wet days. Easy to install and uninstall for the single rainy day, and I tape the mounts for a more secure and permanent solution in the fall and spring. Weighs little, covers up all the way down to the BB area and comes with little brushes to keep the rims from getting too dirty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com