Michelin ProRace 2 or Conti GP Force/Attack

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Hi all. I'm trying to decide between these two tires for some lots of fast training and some racing. They will be my only set of tires, and I can get them for the same price. Any feedback is appreciated. The Conti's get the slight nod in terms of weight, but will that come back to haunt me in terms of durability?

cycles

by cycles

Well the pro race 2 is an excellent rear tire (personal experience in combo with the michelin latex). The conti attacks seems to be a good front tire. So why not make the combo Conti Attack - Mich Pro race 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

I've used both extensively and I've found the Force Attack is a great year round tyre and copes better in wet conditions. It feels fast? But knicks quite offen (not puncturing though) and squares off easily on rough roads.

Michi is however my preference, simply because the tyre to me feels as if there is a slight cushion effect - not as hard at the same pressure. While still feeling just as fast as the Conti's. And I find they don't square off as much.

cycles

by cycles

according to some the squaring of the conti's makes them a bad choice as a rear tire. But they seem to have better grip. So that is why i suggested the combo of Conti Attack/Mich pro race 2.

The pro race 2 seems to be better cut resistant then the pro race. I see a lot less cuts on my pro race 2 then on my pro race

Sleg8

by Sleg8

If you want to go round corners, get the conti's. Nothing compares to them in a clincher tyre. The michelins start to let go too early. Maybe the rear conti doesnt last as a michelin pro race, but that's a small price to pay for something that grips when it matters.
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

John979

by John979

GP4000. You will love them. I use a 20 front 23 rear.
John979

whooztheman

by whooztheman

FORCE ATTACK HANDS DOWN! :thumbup:
"It may be near when it seems so far"

John979

by John979

whooztheman wrote:FORCE ATTACK HANDS DOWN! :thumbup:

Have you ridden GP4000s? I road F/As since they came out. Last month, bought 2 pair GR4000s and won't switch back. In fact, my buds and I are ordering 6 more pair of GP4000s...
John979

Dan the Man

by Dan the Man

Second the GP4000's!
Been testing them the last 4 weeks or so and like them a lot more than the Michelins that I was on before.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Are "GP 4 season duraskins" the same thing as GP 4000's? Will these last me longer than a season, and how much do they weigh?

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

spokey1.0 wrote:Are "GP 4 season duraskins" the same thing as GP 4000's? Will these last me longer than a season, and how much do they weigh?

No the 4000's are Conti's first tyre to feature with Vectran fibres..... haven't weighed them but I'm pretty sure they will be lighter than duraskins

Dan the Man

by Dan the Man

The GP4000 take over from the GP3000 as race tyres (not sure where they fit in compared to the Force/attack, but think they complement the range, not substitute them) where as the dura skins are exactly that, Durable.
The 4 seasons have a similar looking tread to the GP3000 but it is harder and thus more durable (as the name suggests). Great as a set of 'last for ever training tyres' that perform a bit better than most others.

marko

by marko

I would go with the pro grip. They don't wear fast and the grip solves that problem. Very good tire.

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Thanks for the good responses guys. I don't know how many of you guys are looking for cheap tires and REALLY cheap team clothing, but www.probikekit.com has got it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kAb

by kAb

I prefer attack/force. But I've been riding GP4000 for past month when the rep gave them to me. Far supierior to GP3, but i still like the attack/force combo best.