HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:40 pm 

If lightweights really are much more stiff than adas as it appears they are from this discussion and such, then I can see why people go for them, especially pros, cuz its silly to sacrifice too much for light weight. Thats the problem with a lot of carbon wheels, I know I've had bad experiences with zipps, so if lightweight really were that stiff then ya I can see why people like them more, even if they do weigh around 1250 grams, which a lot of carbon wheels are approaching nowadays, but again if theyre that much stronger/stiffer, then its definetley worth it. Thanks for all the replys - this forum is really active!

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:40 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:10 pm 

someone can send me the articles of the tour magazine
-comparison ada/lw
-comparison of a lot of wheels (with cosmic, ksyrium, lw,...) aerodynamics, weight,...

thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:41 pm 

Tsielio wrote:
someone can send me the articles of the tour magazine
-comparison ada/lw

that one has been posted here by Florian not too long ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:45 pm 

I own both sets of wheels and I can state, categorically, that I find the LW's to be the superior brand.

I got my adas first and had all kinds of problems with them. They were delivered with the incorrect drivering in the rear hub such that under any type of pedalling force, the whole cassette body, pawls included, would skip around the hub body, providing no drive force. It took a whole year and a half to get it rectified, during which I spent a fortune shipping parts and even the rear wheel back to Cees in an attempt to get things fixed.

Cees sent me a new rear wheel that was in fact the model that Tchmil used in the Worlds at Plouay. ( he offered to make a new one but by then I was desperate to get a working wheel.) I should have waited. This wheel was built for a campy drivetrain and he switched to a shimano cass body. This meant that the wheel isn't dished properly for a shimano set up as the shim body is not as long as the campy. What this meant was that anytime I wanted to use the wheel I had to adjust the rear brake to account for the dish error. I tried to communicate this to Cees but after assurances from him that I was obviously doing something wrong, I gave up and conceded defeat!

I bought some LW's about a year and a half ago and couldn't be more pleased. They are true, and dished properly and look like they were built to higher quality. They are a little heavier than the ada because of the heavier dura ace rear hub internals, but they work and that is what counts.

I don't know which type is more advanced and cutting edge and I don't have a windtunnel in my backyard to test aero properties. But from a practical standpoint, the LW's win hands-down!

I can't really attest to how the adas rode because they didn't see much road time for the reasons I listed above.

Go to page Previous  1, 2