Campagnolo Record 10 Speed Pro Tour levers - Value?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lcoolb

by lcoolb

I use a pair of these too and afaik the *only* difference is a stiffer spring. Is that correct or are there other different parts? And, older spec, really? :-(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

30 seconds in Ebay and I found these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Re ... 500wt_1413

Not hard to find out someone got mugged!

rustychain

by rustychain

Does not the new 2011 SR stiffer shifting make the R10 Red a moot point. How many "pro" cyclist are going to want to pay more for old technology. I guess collectors would be interested and a small number of "I don't need an extra gear" guys. Rare is one thing but demand is another
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Simon BP

by Simon BP

ultimobici: Thanks! That's the kind of link i was looking for! :)

rustychain: Well, obviously YOU are not one of those guys, but there are plenty out there who likes the 10 speed ergolever better for whatever reasons, and like to have somthing rare and special for their bike. Therefore demand is hig, and I knew that value would only go up for these when I bought them. So now I can sell mine, which I bought for $200, for around the $500 mark. So who's laughing now :wink:

But I don't think it's strange that people want to pay more for a limited edition item that really only sets it apart from the original in very few places. Just look at some of the limited editions of some exotic supercars. Eventhough the only difference between those and the standard car is some paint and perhaps a spoiler, the limited edition ones keep their value alot better.

duke249

by duke249

I have a pair of these as well as a pair of regular Record Ergos. When the need came to rebuild the regular Ergos, I put in the stiffer spring and other parts necessary so they're basically like the Reds. They are slightly stiffer and have a terrific feel.

FreaK

by FreaK

you know what, i'm going to see if i can order up a set of the stiffer springs tomorrow.

also you don't need a steady hand, a red Sharpie will work perfectly and won't show up any more on the black than the original.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

to each his own i guess. those levers looked pretty well used.

the older spec involves just the spring carrier:

http://www.bikeman.com/LD9730.html

and a pair of springs.

so for $20 you may have a "red" equivalent lever.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

lechat

by lechat

Simon BP wrote:You could also just buy a Toyota MR2 and put a Ferrari bodykit on it. It still doesen't make it an original ;)

No, but it would be a lot more reliable.

peruffo

by peruffo

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but if the OP wrote "Campagnolo Record 10 Speed Pro Tour levers - Value?" I have to share this pictures of something my boss at the bike shop just got from a certain Pro Tour team manager...
Attachments
DSCN3028.jpg

oldtrackie

by oldtrackie

If anyone wants to buy....

deleted link...

4 pairs left
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted link - no ebay links please. Thanks. PP

gt5504b

by gt5504b

Ha, I have the stiffer standard generation on my cross/dirt roads and trails bike.
But after putting the bike into so many trees, fences, barriers, and random piles of mud, there is very little of the white graphics left :) 10 seconds with a sharpie, and ...
They might as well be 'Pro'
-cory

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

duke249 wrote:I have a pair of these as well as a pair of regular Record Ergos. When the need came to rebuild the regular Ergos, I put in the stiffer spring and other parts necessary so they're basically like the Reds. They are slightly stiffer and have a terrific feel.

I still have and use these Red shifters as well (and it looks as if I'm in good company) but sold my regular Record set which had been overhauled even though it hadn't all that many km on the clock.
The Red still shift like new though after about 65.000km of use. (O.k. I don't shift all that much but still)

Basically it's some parts from the Centaur 05 shifters (which I also have) that's been used to build the Record Reds.
I think a list with all the necessary parts is still on this forum somewhere. Either way it's just a few bits and it's the spring that make the difference in feel. I think I still have a few of those kits anyhow...

But boy, those Red shifters are still fetching serious money though. I had no idea... :shock:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

fdegrove wrote:The Red still shift like new though after about 65.000km of use. (O.k. I don't shift all that much but still)
With no overhaul (parts replacement)?

O.k., just want to make sure that's the european . , meaning 65 thousand km, not the american . ., meaning 65 (and 0 thousandths) km.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

65,000 Americano kilometros, senor. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know it sounds like a lot of road and it is but the Reds never even received a drop of oil, nada. Just the occasional kiss on the brake lever, nothing else. :lol:

Same goes for the old Centaur (which of course uses much of the same old Record bits as the Reds) but those didn't see much more than a few tens of thousands over the past seven years, they're on a winter mule. :P

I'm curious the hear about the other Red owners here. Pete? Or anyone else for that matter....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Indeed, here I am.

Only mounted them last year, they have maybe 6,000 ~ 7,000 km with me. I am the second owner, but they had been lightly used by the gentleman who sold them to me (no visible wear and tear anywhere).

Maintenance free, I love them.

Have a backup set of regular 10v Records, and my previous Chorus 10v (metal, not CF) still with me.

Beginning to consider selling my Ultra Reds and buying half a CF wheelset, given some of the prices I have seen (the regular shifting did not bother me - I bought them 'cuz they were cool).
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com