Change of cage on derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cpfitness

by cpfitness

Sram doesn't make triples. I agree with others. I know you don't want that "cheap" apex rd but more people will make fun of you for having a pimped out weight weenied sram red bike that you can't get up the hill than for having an apex rd. Or just use the high end sram rd to give you the desired gearing while keeping it high end.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KLabs

by KLabs

darkblue08 wrote:Im planning my next bike. Im aiming for a light, quality bike which will let me climb 20+ % ascents. I known I want SRAM gear system. I was thinking about SRAM Red (black edition), but would like a medium cage instead of a short cage, because I want the option of a 11-32 cassette. Does anybody know if you can swap cage between a Rival with medium cage and Red rear derailleur? Maybe even swap it every time I swap between mountain and flat setup by changing it along with chainrings, cassette and chain.

Or does anybody have a better idea? :idea:

Hi darkblue08, if you use a Shimano 10spd x 2 system you can do the following:
- Change your crankset to a 50/34 compact.
- Change your RD to a Shimano M772 XT or M972 XTR MTB SGS RD ... these will work with a 9/10spd STI lever without issue.
- Change your cassette to an 11-34T XT or XTR cassette
- Low gearing to climb any mountain 34 to 34 and high gearing for any sprint 50 to 11 ...
- I use the following setup, which works flawlessly ... 53/39 DA chainset, XTR M972 SGS RD, 11-36T SRAM 1070 cassette, and DA 7800 STI levers.

If you use a SRAM 10spd x 2 system you can do the following:
- Change your crankset to a 50/34 compact.
- Change your RD to an SRAM Apex RD to suit an 11-32T cassette
- Change your cassette to a SRAM Apex, any SRAM MTB 11-32 cassette, or Shimano XT/XTR, 11-32T cassette
- Nearly as good, low gearing to climb any mountain 34 to 32 and high gearing for any sprint 50 to 11 ...
- Contador used a SRAM 53/34 compact and an Apex 11/32 cassette/RD setup for the Tour D'Italia.