Carbon wearing away on speedneedle, recommendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kman

by kman

Hey guys, I've been pretty happy with my speedneedle marathon for the last couple of years but over time its starting to go a bit funny on the exposed carbon section.
The fibres / weave is still there and looks ok but its like the resin or at least the top coat is wearing away, leaving the fibres dry and exposed. It's getting a white, chalky appearance to it, which is made worse if you scratch it with your finger nail.

I was thinking of applying some spray on clear coat to protect it and make it look better again. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The spray might not last that long but at least its easy to apply.
uploadfromtaptalk1358808232792.jpg
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

kman

by kman

Sorry for the rubbish photo, using my phone at the moment.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Pretty normal after a couple of seasons of use IME. A fresh layer of clearcoat surely helps....for a while. :)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

kman

by kman

Cool, I assumed so, thanks for the confirmation. I'll spray it with clear coat and see how it goes.
-- Frank Zappa

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

You might consider using a polyurethane clear coat specific to plastics. I personally don't use any clear coat on the Veloflyte items I produce. But I have experimented with using an acrylic clear coat. Acrylic is not durable enough for your application.
You could also apply a thin coat of epoxy. But I do not know if epoxy will provide a more or less durable finish than polyurethane.

kman

by kman

Thanks for the advice. I have some clear coat spray so will use that immediately while I look into the other options you mentioned. I'm sure the spray won't last long.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com