Advice on Colnago C59 Geometry

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

looking for advice on frame sizing - C59 sloping vs traditional geometry.

I rode a 50s C59 the other day and loved it, however it did feel a touch small and there was a LOT of seatpost showing when i raised it to cater to my inseam length.

Thinking that a 52s or possibly a traditional 57 would be the correct sizing for me?

My measurements

Height - 179.5cm

Inseam - 84.0cm

Comments?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I wouldn't worry too much about seatpost height as long as it's in the correct position for you (setback and height).
What you need to look at is whether you can position the bars in the right place without having to resort to an overly long stem and / or a large stack of spacers.
The good thing about Colnagos is the wide range of sizes offered allowing you to tweak your fit.

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

Thanks 585. Good thing is that i think i can get the right fit with a sloping frame OR a traditional frame...Decisions, decisions...

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

jcumpstay wrote:i think i can get the right fit with a sloping frame OR a traditional frame...

I'm ducking for cover now!

kgt

by kgt

Go traditional. I think 57 maybe a bit big for you.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

jcumpstay wrote:looking for advice on frame sizing - C59 sloping vs traditional geometry.

I rode a 50s C59 the other day and loved it, however it did feel a touch small and there was a LOT of seatpost showing when i raised it to cater to my inseam length.

Thinking that a 52s or possibly a traditional 57 would be the correct sizing for me?

My measurements

Height - 179.5cm

Inseam - 84.0cm

Comments?

We have the same inseam, though I'm 3.5cm shorter. Which means you have a long torso by proportion.

I ride a Colnago EPS size 50S, 110mm stem, 21mm setback post. I would think a 52S would fit you better. Most probably a size 56 traditional, with a slightly extended stem compared to a 57.
All these with the assumption that you have average or less than average flexibility, which is my case.

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

What's your saddle height and saddle to bar drop?

I'm a similar height to you. Dunno what my inseam is but my saddle height is 76cm. My drop to center of bars is 9.5cm.

I've ordered a 56 c59. I should end up with about 25mm spacers under stem. . I'll be on a 110-120 stem depending on reach of bars and di2 levers which will be new to me. Could have gone 55 with a longer stem but didn't want the extra spacers.

Talk to Mike at Maestro he's pretty good but I got my fit sorted first before ordering as it's a lot of cash and the frame sizes are there, might as well get it right and make the most of them.

jcumpstay

by jcumpstay

CrazyErrol wrote:What's your saddle height and saddle to bar drop?

I'm a similar height to you. Dunno what my inseam is but my saddle height is 76cm. My drop to center of bars is 9.5cm.

I've ordered a 56 c59. I should end up with about 25mm spacers under stem. . I'll be on a 110-120 stem depending on reach of bars and di2 levers which will be new to me. Could have gone 55 with a longer stem but didn't want the extra spacers.

Talk to Mike at Maestro he's pretty good but I got my fit sorted first before ordering as it's a lot of cash and the frame sizes are there, might as well get it right and make the most of them.

My saddle height is 75.5cm and my drop is the same as yours (9.5cm)

Thanks for the advice.

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

Based on your inseam of 84cm your theoretical seat tube c-t is 55.86 cm; this is between a 55 and 56t.
HOWEVER you should not order a bike based on seat tube height alone. You also need to calculate your reach and compare it to the top tube + stem dimension of the particular size you are considering. Web sites like wrench science or competitive cyclist have the tools to calculate reach etc. Then you need to decide what is a comfortable drop for you. After all these calculations are done you will have the theoretically best size for you but the final test is trying out the actual bike for determining how it feels; all of these formulas are based on average sizes, if your body measurements are not average then the results will be skewed.

elviento

by elviento

50S has a 51cm c-c virtual seattube. From a statistical perspective, at 179.5cm, a 50S is almost certainly too small for you.

52S at least.

Again, I don't like the inseam measurement at all, as many people measure differently. Seat height with knee slightly bent is a much more reliable number.

jcumpstay wrote:looking for advice on frame sizing - C59 sloping vs traditional geometry.

My measurements

Height - 179.5cm

Inseam - 84.0cm

Comments?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

Hi all,

Quick question: looking to get a new C59.

I'm split between frame sizes: either 54sloping or 52sloping.

My measures are: 179 height and currently using seat height 76cm (BB centre to top of seat).
I have 88cm inseam (which in theory equals to a 'theoretical' seat height of 77.9, but I feel it's a bit too high and feel more confortable on 76cm, maybe 76.5cm.

One last piece of info: I'd ideally look for a drop (top of seat - top of bars) of around 8cm

I know sizing a frame on a forum is no good, I should get a proper fitting done, etc, etc. but would also value your opinions: 52s or 54s? Also, feel free to comment on traditional geometries (so it would be either 56, 57 or 58).

Cheers

eurperg

by eurperg

With 76cm saddle height and using a 82° stem, a 54s slammed with low headset top cap will give you ~75mm drop. Newer ones come with about 10mm taller Acros headset, so you would need a -17° stem to get that 8 cm of drop.

52s has a 16mm lower head tube, so with drop should be around 80mm with 82° stem, Acros headset and one 5mm spacer.

I would suggest you to get either the 52s or 57 traditional.

kgt

by kgt

In traditional size I would suggest 56.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

56 or 52s
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

liam7020

by liam7020

I've a 52s Colnago M10 and although I'm 182cm my inseam is similar to yours so I'd also say 52s or 56.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com