600-650gm 10spd Carbon crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sandico

by sandico

I am riding Ultegra 10spd 53/39. According to the listings herein, this weighs around 840 gms including the BB.

I would like to shave 200gms off this. How would I do that?

Also, I see the FSA Superlights and Stronglights out there but they appear to be the non-outboard style BB. And when I look at the weight of both the crankset AND the BB in the ISIS style for example, it appears that I am back up near 700 gms on the FSA Superlight.

I also don't plan to spend $800 to accomplish this. What am I missing?
:?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nexusheli

by nexusheli

You're not missing anything. There are very few cranksets sans BB that come in below 600g, and most high-quality BBs are going to be in the 150-200g range. There are always exceptions to the rule, but you also end up paying through the nose for it. For example, the Extralite E-Bones WR-RC is just under 500g including BB, but it doesn't include chainrings, so you're still looking at close to 600g all told. And from what I hear, while the quality on them is high, when you start taking that much material away, you start to get noticable flex. And they cost an arm and a leg when it finally comes to USD.

There are a few places where even a weight weenie just needs to be smart about the parts they choose, and the BB/Crank is one of those places. Go find yourself a 650g chunk of metal and hold it in your hands, and tell me if you would feel safe jumping up and down on it?

sandico

by sandico

So, I take it that my best bet (as several others have suggested) is to just upgrade to 10spd D/A. It does save about 100gms and is far more reasonably priced.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Not alot of choices that fit that criteria. I still think the Stronglight with an American classic is a great way to go, 700grams, $600. Or if you want outboard bearings, you can do the Ebones with some TA rings. cranks are $500 in the U.S. and the rings will run you just over $100, total weight on that set would be around 625grams.

KonaBoy

by KonaBoy

The other option is the THM crankset (http://www.thm-carbones.de/english/). It is hard to find here in the US but can be gotten (for $1100-1300!!) from a few places.

I use the Propeller Ti that weights about 365G w/BB (176mm/130mm with modifications). But these are no longer made and need some "modifications" to make them work for more than 100 miles. I have about 1,000 on each of the 2 sets I use, and are working well. There is also a slight chain line issue with the spider on the Propeller cranks

mises

by mises

THM from Gypzybikz are right at $805 at current exchange rates, though you need chainrings on top of that.

Since $800 is over budget I would say DA is about the only way to go, or just wait until the budget grows to allow other options.

TLOUIE

by TLOUIE

i'd still say that a DA10 setup is the best bet, you'd save over 100grams and get a badass looking setup that is stiffer than your current setup

i got a brand new DA10 setup with BB and tools for ~$250 on ebay.
Giant TCR Once Composite (6300g complete!, <6000g soon)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... php?t=9829

Giant TCR Team Al, Giant MCR Aero, Giant MCM Team, Giant NRS Team

88,000 gram Rider........

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

I run Pulsions with an FSA platnium ti BB
450 + 175 = 625grams
Paid $390.00 + $90.00 = $480.00
Weight savings------priceless................... :lol:

kman

by kman

TLOUIE wrote:i'd still say that a DA10 setup is the best bet, you'd save over 100grams and get a badass looking setup that is stiffer than your current setup

i got a brand new DA10 setup with BB and tools for ~$250 on ebay.

Is DA10 actually that much stiffer than Ultegra?
I'm sure I've seen something about how 9spd Ultegra was as stiff or stiffer than DA - due to the extra weight. Just wondering whether same is true for 10 spd...?

They do look slick though.
So do the Pulsions.... 8)
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

big fellow

by big fellow

i second the pulsions....they are light, and the cut out cranks have a certain mojo about them 8)

jer

by jer

madcow wrote:Not alot of choices that fit that criteria. I still think the Stronglight with an American classic is a great way to go, 700grams, $600.

Was that a typo? I was lookin' at that combo but I had it pegged (from a distance) at about 600g.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

Just go with a DA crank
Cannondale is quite simply the best

Sleg8

by Sleg8

I'm with captain wilier (CW) on this one. The Stronglights are simply awesome. I'm running exactly the same set-up as him, including the the FSA platinum pro BB. Simply awesome. I came off 9spd DA to the stronglight's and they are comparable in stiffness. And the weight is as CW stated above. Get the Mojo option! :wink:
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

sandico

by sandico

Is this gonna create any issues with the 10spd derailleurs?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

sandico wrote:Is this gonna create any issues with the 10spd derailleurs?
In what way?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com