Campagnolo PF30 Adapter Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadwarrior

by roadwarrior

Try the new Parlee adapters. They are much deeper than Campy's own and work great.

jimh

by jimh

This appeared on webradar a few days ago - the shimano version has been getting good press...
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/praxis-works-bbpf30-conversion-bottom-bracket-for-campagnolo-36821/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Irish wrote:There is no preload on the bearing, there is preload on the bearing shell, this is to "locate" the shell and stop the bearing moving in the cup. It also stops the cranks moving side to side. Not a great solution.

oh boy, here we go again. there's so many wrong assumptions here.

Campy UT and PT cranks are firmly located in place by holding the DS bearing in place using the clip. It's the same principle as GXP systems which clamp the NDS bearing in place. Both systems use this to prevent lateral movement of the crank spindle.

Campy UT bearings are a tight pressfit onto the spindle, so if one side is clamped, the other won't move. the wave washer provides a light preload to the NDS bearing, nothing more or less. And none of this is anything to do with holding cups in place. They are supposed to be a firm press fit.

As for the Campy PF30 cups question - I think the consensus is to convert to a threaded system at the first hint of a problem!
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

jimh

by jimh

bikerjulio, the Praxis solution can't walk out because the cups are screwed together and also provide a tight fit, as it presses against the bottom bracket shell via a collet as you install it.

I guess you could call it a threaded solution - just the threading is in a different place
http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion

Here's the shimano one that is already available

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Hi Jim. Agree. The Praxis solution looks like a good one for Campy too.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

uraqt

by uraqt

The issue with "Praxis" type solution is that they are all about 100g or more and at that weight you just lost most of your weight saving over "old school" square taper.

That is right square taper!!!! : )

C

Ozvelonut

by Ozvelonut

I felt a bit guilty for not writing a follow-up of my experience with my Evo's PF30 BB, so here is a rundown on what I did and how it's going...

I still have the Sram PF30-BSA adapter with Campag cups on my Evo and it has done about 5000km that way with no problems.

I needed to ream out the inside of the Sram a little as the hole through the centre is too small for the Campag crank axle. The Sram adapter is Loctited into my frame and then the Campag cups screwed into the adapter just like a normal BSA bottom bracket.

When assembling the cups, you have to keep a fair bit of pressure on the Campag cup tool because the run-on torque with the plastic thread is pretty high. While assembling, masking tape around the outside of the cups helps prevent tool marks in the anodizing when screwing them in.

I made some shims (thin washers) to go between the cups and the face of the Sram adapter to get the BB width correct. I think I've got 0.040" on the right side and 0.020" on the left.

I'm using the wavy washer on the left crank. No problems there either.

I've thought about trying Parlee cups, but I can't bring myself to pull the BB apart when it's working well.

Hope this helps.

nicrump

by nicrump

i have found this to be the best non permanent solution for UT to PF30 as well. Its. a slight opening up of the ID for the hirth joint to pass but easily done with a file or dremel.

Ozvelonut wrote:I felt a bit guilty for not writing a follow-up of my experience with my Evo's PF30 BB, so here is a rundown on what I did and how it's going...

I still have the Sram PF30-BSA adapter with Campag cups on my Evo and it has done about 5000km that way with no problems.

I needed to ream out the inside of the Sram a little as the hole through the centre is too small for the Campag crank axle. The Sram adapter is Loctited into my frame and then the Campag cups screwed into the adapter just like a normal BSA bottom bracket.

When assembling the cups, you have to keep a fair bit of pressure on the Campag cup tool because the run-on torque with the plastic thread is pretty high. While assembling, masking tape around the outside of the cups helps prevent tool marks in the anodizing when screwing them in.

I made some shims (thin washers) to go between the cups and the face of the Sram adapter to get the BB width correct. I think I've got 0.040" on the right side and 0.020" on the left.

I'm using the wavy washer on the left crank. No problems there either.

I've thought about trying Parlee cups, but I can't bring myself to pull the BB apart when it's working well.

Hope this helps.

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

I don't know if anyone recommended this... I didn't read the entire thread. Parlee PF30 adaptor cups for Campy work reasonably well.

HillBilly wrote:Hi everyone

This is a first post. I'm hoping someone one this board may be able to share some experiences with the use of Campy UT Cranks on frames with a press-fit 30 bottom bracket.

The Campy press fit adapters (68x46) have been available for a while but those I know who have been using them are experiencing both creaking and movement issues. The drive side cup tends not to stay in place but actually moves out of the shell by up to a half mm and the bb creaks and grinds. This is in spite of using anti seize and Teflon plumbers tape. The bikes in question are Ti.

PF30 was developed by SRAM and I have not heard of major dramas using the SRAM/truvativ PF30 bb's and BB30 cranks but I (and others I know) would prefer to be able to stick with a fully Campy group if possible.

It would appear the Campy pf30 adapters are either poorly designed or there is a trick to installing them that is not being freely shared?

Please note, there appears not to be an issue with the Campy BB30 adapters (68x42) - only the PF30 adapters. PF30 uses a wider bb shell without any circlip grooves to retain the bearings. The bearings in a PF30 bb are retained inside a cup.

Lots of smaller custom builders seem to be adopting the PF30 "standard" due it being easier to manufacture.

Any experiences or tips out there?

Cheers

HillBilly