Speedplay specific road shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

curly

by curly

I am currently using Lake Speedplay specific shoes, great shoes but a bit on the heavy side. I am looking for a lightweight pair, I am aware of Bont and I believe DMT make some too. Are there any other lightweigh options out there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

excremanwu

by excremanwu

ergo 3 :beerchug: ?

curly

by curly

excremanwu wrote:ergo 3 :beerchug: ?

I wasn't aware Sidi did a Speedplay specific sole. Any links?

excremanwu

by excremanwu

LionelB

by LionelB

Are these Ergo 3 actually available yet ?

clingenpeel

by clingenpeel

If he thought the Lakes where heavy, I doubt he's going to be happy with the weight of the sidi's. My non-speedplay Lake 330C where what I would call reasonably light...this is in comparison to my heavy sidi's and some very light dmt's I had.

Sidi makes a great shoe, but given the construction, there is really no way they are going to make it really light.

curly

by curly

clingenpeel wrote:If he thought the Lakes where heavy, I doubt he's going to be happy with the weight of the sidi's. My non-speedplay Lake 330C where what I would call reasonably light...this is in comparison to my heavy sidi's and some very light dmt's I had.

Sidi makes a great shoe, but given the construction, there is really no way they are going to make it really light.

Were the DMT's Speedplay specific? How much lighter than the Lake's?

gabbott

by gabbott

I use Sidis (w 4 hole adapters) for day to day and training..best fit, quality and durability.

I use DMTs for race day....quite light and aero but they don't fit as well and the closure system isn't very robust or reliable, further, they wear quite quickly on the bottoms if you walk in them at all.

I've been thinking about modifying the lightest Sidi model I can find to accept a 4 hole cleat.

Speedplay IS the devil but I love their design........where's the phone number for Garmin now........?
SLC-SL.........12.98 and losing.......

curly

by curly

gabbott wrote:I use Sidis (w 4 hole adapters) for day to day and training..best fit, quality and durability.

I use DMTs for race day....quite light and aero but they don't fit as well and the closure system isn't very robust or reliable, further, they wear quite quickly on the bottoms if you walk in them at all.

I've been thinking about modifying the lightest Sidi model I can find to accept a 4 hole cleat.

Speedplay IS the devil but I love their design........where's the phone number for Garmin now........?

Yes I love Speedplays, I thought the Vector was going to be Speedplay based, won't consider it now.

Dman

by Dman

+1 for Sidi Ergo 3's.

I just use the adapter and it works great. IMO I wouldn't worry about getting speedplay specific as I can't see any real benefit

curly

by curly

Dman wrote:+1 for Sidi Ergo 3's.

I just use the adapter and it works great. IMO I wouldn't worry about getting speedplay specific as I can't see any real benefit

I was just thinking of stack height and weight saving with a Speedplay specific shoe.

gabbott

by gabbott

Stiffer interface wo adapter as well.
SLC-SL.........12.98 and losing.......

Arky

by Arky

Reason: the rocking that some complain about is due to adapter wear. This is eliminated with a four bolt shoe and the metal shim/protector.

curly

by curly

I think it is a shame that there aren't more off the shelf options available for the speedplay specific shoe.

SL58

by SL58

I had this question for last 20 years. However Speedplay cleat is designed in a way that it is very difficult to reduce weight or even stack height very much. What you have in most Speedplay- specific shoes is glorified carbon adapter, nothing more. They are using standard sole and slap double carbon layer on it to accommodate cleat that is flat, hence no weight advantage, duh...
I am going Bebop that does not require a huge flat portion on the bottom of the shoe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com