2012 American Classic Mag Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mmonroe

by mmonroe

I was noticing that the 2012 American Classic Mag clincher is now being listed at 1108gr versus the 1275gm for last year. Looks like it will also be a different color and whatnot. The rim seems to have a fairly aero profile but I am not sure now it would compare to a Zipp 101 or the HED in that department. The Mag Clincher is a heck of a lot lighter - that is for sure. I wonder if they will have a weight limit and if so what it will be.

Thoughts/Ideas?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Based on previous history?

It will never go into production beyond a showroom floor at Interbike :)

Pretty snazzy looking hoops though if they ever do see the light of day.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

I really liked the ride of the mag wheels - not stiff but super smooth, and very light for clinchers. I'd probably still be riding them if I didn't drive a nail through it. But trying to get a pair in the last couple of years have been difficult. Hopefully they won't have the supply problems of the past with the 2012 batch of mag wheels.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I have ridden two of the earlier versions of the Mag wheels one tubular and the other clincher and found them to be amazing. Seriously amazing ride quality unlike anything else.

The drawback been they are not the most durable and quite expensive so I would not consider them an everyday wheel but do thing they are one of the best performance/weight options on the market and when the new 2012's become available well worth looking into.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

Phill P

by Phill P

I like the idea of Mg rims, but would be concerned the sidewalls would be too soft and wear quickly. Plus once you've worn off any ano they would corrode faster.

Is that actually the case?

Just went and checked their site. The rims are 22mmx22mm and a more corrosion resistant alloy. Still doesn't mean they won't corrode though :cry:

Are the 2012 rims, or even the older ones welded or sleeve joints? Welding Mg is not easy, in fact I would imagine extruding the profile would have to be done in an O2 free environment. Would love to know how/where they are made (hey I'm an engineer...)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

Rippin

by Rippin

The only corrosion I had on the older Mag wheels were when salt water was accidentally spashed on them. Didn't have a problem with rain water.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

mjduct

by mjduct

I'm itching to see a pair of these myself...

it looks like the same rim profile that they are putting on their "tubless" wheelset this year too for 200 bucks less and 70 grams more...

JourneyLightly

by JourneyLightly

I wonder if they use the same rim tape as the tubeless clincher. If you have to add different tape to run the mag rims tubeless, then that 70 gram difference could shrink.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

One is a sealing coat one is a rim tape. the weights are what they are

JourneyLightly

by JourneyLightly

Huh? Are you saying the mags have no spoke holes inside the rim, Ksyrium-style? That doesn't look like the case from pics of the rims.

I realize my own post was confusing though, since I had tubeless on the brain at the time. I was thinking that a tubeless magnesium set might have even less than 70g weight advantage compared to the tubeless aluminum wheels, but you won't care about that if you're not running tubeless, of course. It's a little confusing because news articles from last year mention both mag and aluminum tubeless versions with the same weights that are on the website now, except the description for the magnesium clinchers doesn't say anything about tubeless, and the "Road Tubeless" description doesn't mention a magnesium option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

It says on the AC website:

"Our tubeless wheels are set up with a base layer of AC fiber tape covering the spoke holes and two layers of AC honey colored tape to seal the rim."