tubeless tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skunk

by Skunk

I want to run tubeless tires on 68mm enves. I'm using an enve valve exteneder with a stans valve. The instructions say to use the valve nut to secure the valve. With the extender there's nothing to thread the nut onto. Will the valve still seat properly if I don't use the nut?

Geoff

by Geoff

Not in a million years. You need to crank it down pretty well to get a good seal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

stans sells tufo-style extenders that place the valve core outside the rim. theirs in particular is also threaded on the outside, to work with a valve nut. it's the only one of its type that ive seen.
ive also successfully run an actual tufo extender through an m6 die, but it was a pain.

Skunk

by Skunk

thisisatest wrote:stans sells tufo-style extenders that place the valve core outside the rim. theirs in particular is also threaded on the outside, to work with a valve nut. it's the only one of its type that ive seen.
ive also successfully run an actual tufo extender through an m6 die, but it was a pain.

thanks, I'll look for the stans extenders

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

As far as I understand this is the reason Campagnolo/Fulcrum postponed the 2 way fit Bullet wheels.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

edmundo

by edmundo

You definitely need a valve nut and thisisatest's suggestion above should do the trick. But you'll be screwing that nut down on your nice carbon rim. I think this should be OK as my experience with these valves is they need to be screwed down firmly, but finger-tight only. You don't need tools.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

Geoff

by Geoff

Put a rubber 'O'-ring and a thin metal washer between the rim and locknut. SimpleEasy.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Good suggestion Geoff. I would do that or maybe you could use a nylon washer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com