THM Clavicula M3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

finally avaiable for sale. i am shocked about durabilty of these cranks. wtf. $1000 cranks that last then 10000km. madcow can you please clarify.

Please note that Clavicula cranks are designed for extended, yet ultimately limited use. These cranks should be retired or returned to THM for inspection after 10,000 km (6214 mi) or after 10 years of use.

ref http://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-clavicula ... -4439.html
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

record

by record

Have you seen service intervals on 400,000$ supercars? Something like 1500 miles on an Enzo. Both this crank and supercars work at the absolute limit of what's possible in terms of engineering. They both have incredible performance, but are fragile at the same time. So nothing strange here.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

bricky21

by bricky21

At least they're being up front about the fact that that stuff is pure WW bling intended for people who can except the compromises associated with owning such a component and or take 10 years to cover 6300 miles :lol: . Nothing wrong with that btw imo.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I like the original Clavicula's aesthetics more than this new version.
Is the 'old' Clavicula still in production, or will the M3 completely replace it?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

TCx

by TCx

Is it the same for the non M3 versions? I was planning on getting some, but ride 100 miles most weekends, these would be done for before 2 years were out!
Can you ever have to many bikes?

bricky21

by bricky21

prendrefeu wrote:I like the original Clavicula's aesthetics more than this new version.
Is the 'old' Clavicula still in production, or will the M3 completely replace it?

I like the old one better too.

Not sure about the production plans for the original, but I know one of the points of the modular setup is the option to use a powermeter. In my mind I can't see many people who are serious enough about racing/training to use a Srm would settle for such a crank. Doesn't seem like a great match.

bricky21

by bricky21

I did notice the Q factor is a little more favorable if you felt the original was a bit to wide.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

TCx wrote:Is it the same for the non M3 versions? I was planning on getting some, but ride 100 miles most weekends, these would be done for before 2 years were out!

Non-M3 Versions - should we call them "Clavicula Classic" now? - did not have a designated lifespan, however they do have a built in wear indicator: with enough heal rub on the crank arm, the 2nd layer of carbon just before the more crucial structural layers is yellow. If you begin to see yellow carbon on the crank arm, replace it. Not sure how long that took, however, and MadCow/Jason may be able to offer his experience.

spartan

by spartan

looking at the weight/price/durability disappointing.

Weight, crank arms only 354
Weight, compact spider 46
Weight, English BB Cups 73
Weight, Chainrings/bolts 130
Total = ~600gm

versus
campy super record ti cranks ~ 630 gm
cannondale si sl ~ 580gm
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

First let starts with the excuses/blame. Recently Richard switched from drinking beer in the morning to drinking vodka in morning. The only problem is that he hasn't changed the volume that he's drinking, just the type of liquid in the glass. This has caused him to be a little less clear headed in the mornings. The 10,000km was a typo on the website.

The actual number should be 100,000km (62,000 miles) or 10 years

The original clavicula was subject to these same service intervals.

The original clavicula is still in production and is still considered the flagship model. It is just called the Clavicula.

The new crank is the Clavicula M3 and is quite similar. It does have a narrower q-factor, a lower price and a weight difference of about 40 grams. While the entire crank may not be considered any more or less durable than the Clavicula, the M3 is more forgiving to installation errors and heavy handed mechanics. It's also SRM compatible and is able to be changed from compact to standard quite easily and inexpensively.

The yellow layer of carbon. As was mentioned just below the outer layer of carbon is a yellow carbon. This layer is on both the Clavicula and the Clavicula M3. This is a heel wear measurement. If you have heel rub once you've worn through the outer layer you'll see the yellow beneath and this tells you it's time to replace the crank. I've only seen the yellow layer once and that was with a rider who had quite a significant amount of heel rub and it took somewhere around 4-5 years to wear to this point.

The M3 should begin shipping soon. I have received one actual production set of them that we'll have on display at Interbike next week. We'll also be doing some deflection testing on them shortly and will post the results once we have them.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks Jason! :beerchug:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

As for weights and price, they are pretty much on par with the listed Super record ti and SI SL.

Super Record Ti, 626grams complete. About $950 retail.
SI SL, 598grams complete. About $900 retail.
M3, 596grams complete. About $1150 retail.

So the M3 is close in weight, and a little more expensive, but that's mostly due to the dollar being so weak against the Euro.

bricky21

by bricky21

Thanks Madcow...good news about the typo :thumbup: . I guess it will come down to strength/weight vs. the Super Record Ti...for me anyways.

bricky21

by bricky21

madcow wrote: Recently Richard switched from drinking beer in the morning to drinking vodka in morning.

Hey I'd fit right in down there...are you hiring? Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Slightly OT sorry, but coupla three questions:

1. Is the Super Record Ti crank 10 speed compatible (so that can be used with non Campy drive trains)?

2. The Si SL is BB30 only, right?

3. I take it there is no Fulcrum equivalent to the Super Record Ti, so no Ti 130BCD equivalent crank.

Thanks in advance.

GJ