Mavic Ksyriums vs. Rolf Vigors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Forget about weight for a minute, I know the Ksyrium SSC SL 04's are 100g heavier then the Vigors, and there rotational mass is pretty much the same, 440g rim vs. 430. But which wheel is faster? This has been bugging me for a year. The ksyrium has all of those bladed spokes to slice through the wind, but then the rim is box shaped. Wouldn't that defeat the whole point of the aero spoke, rim shape is more important is it not? So the 34mm rolfs would be alot faster on flats right? I've rode the rolfs and they seem to me the fastest aluminum clinchers, but I have never ridden ksyriums. I guess what I'm trying to get at do they compare on flat land speed? Significant difference or little?

Also what about stiffness? The rolfs seemed to give a little in hard turns and descents, and the ksyriums look like they would be really stiff with all of those thick aluminum spokes. What do you think, they alot stiffer or not really, talking lateral stiffness, not vertical. Thanks

JTC

by JTC

Not sure about the Ksyriums vs the Vigors, but I have known many people to have problems with Rolfs. I havn't known anyone who has had problems with the Ksyriums other than a broken spoke here and there. I had good luck with them when I had some. I don't believe that the spokes really make any arrow difference though. It seems that deeper rims always seem to make the most difference for me, not the spokes. Just got back from a training ride this AM and a buddy of mine was on the new silver Ksyriums. I must say they looked great! Hey spytech, if you read this the guy with the new Ksyriums had them on the Carbon Giant like yours and the wheels looked great on it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franzam

by Franzam

In the german TOUR- Magazin was in April 2000 a test of 10 system wheelsets. They found out that normaly spoked rims are better and more aerodynamic than paired Spokes, like Shimano or Rolf Wheels.They tested it with 45km/h on a track with the same driver in the same position: Thats the power you need and the stbility of the wheels:

Citec 3000: 390w, static 10 point/ very strong
Corima 4spoke:381.9w static 6
Lightweight:385 w, static 10
Mavic Ksyrium 391.8w static 8
Ritchey OCR 395.7w static 9
Rolf Vector Pro carbon 407w static 6
shiman Dura ace 399,7w static 8

I hope it helps you
There are a more facts, but its to much to type and my english isn´t very good :wink:

Superlite

by Superlite

But what about the aerodynamics? Are the Rolfs alot better because of the 34mm rim? Or does it not matter that the Ksyrium has a flat rim?

spytech

by spytech

my 2004 ksyriums sl came in 2 days ago :D but the rims were a little scrathed up, only on the braking surface. they were brand new sealed in 2 boxes. but i dont know if i should return them i paid $670 shipped.

Superlite

by Superlite

Dude, what about speed? Which wheel is faster? Is there a large margin between there speed? On flats of course, I don't care about climbing speed, about the same.

spytech

by spytech

what do you mean by stability? is higher wattage better or worse?

Superlite

by Superlite

WHAT? WATTAGE? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! :?: I'm tearing the hair out of my head here! :lol:

I just want to know how much faster the Vigors are then the Ksyriums due to AERODYNAMICS!!! How did wattage get involved.

Ah I feel much better. Sorry, just had to let that frustration out. :wink:

Superlite

by Superlite

WHAT? WATTAGE? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!! :?: I'm tearing the hair out of my head here! :lol:

I just want to know how much faster the Vigors are then the Ksyriums due to AERODYNAMICS!!! How did wattage get involved.

And I was asking about stiffness, lateral stiffness, not stability. Are the Ksyriums alot stiffer?

Ah I feel much better. Sorry, just had to let that frustration out. :wink:

spytech

by spytech

well power is measured in watts. so i was guessing the W next the numbers represents wattage.... am i correct?

now what about Stability, can some one explain that to me.

Superlite

by Superlite

YOU STILL DIDN"T ANSWER!!! WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME!!! :lol:

Just tell me, are the vigors alot faster then the ksyriums or not?

And I didn't say stability, I said stiffness!! READ IT MAN!!

spytech

by spytech

no torment, im just asking a question just like you. But i do not which is faster. sorry :roll:

But i am guessing the less power you need the better they roll, so the lower the number the better... i think.

Joel

by Joel

That's oonly a question of bearings and rotational weight, but it doesn't make any difference between high-end wheels

Joel

by Joel

Joel wrote:That's oonly a question of bearings and rotational weight, but it doesn't make any difference between high-end wheels

It 's a little too freaky to think that you can reach a higher wattage with different wheels :roll:

Franzam

by Franzam

@superlite:

it means the vector pro carbon needs more power (watt = w) at 30 mph than the ksyriums=> the ksyriums are more aerodynamic.
The Static means the side rigidy:
you need for the mavic frontwheel 5O N to flex it 1mm to side, rear 37,7N
Rolf: front 43.5N rear 26,31 N
The Ksyrium are the stiffer ones.
The stiffest wheelset was the Citec3000 : front 62,5N/mm, rear 64,51N/mm

To accelerate, the lightweight and rolf wheels are the best,they are the lightest.

I hope I dont confuse You more! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com