HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 pm 

Hello, I have (well soon) a SiSL BB30 crank. I'll have (soon) a pressfit 30 frame.

What parts of the crank / bb assembly don't I need and what extra parts, and where to get them will I need?

Thanks,
Shawn

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:31 pm 

The Sram PF30 crank comes with everything you need. The crank should just slide in. You'll have to use the wavy washer and appropriate number of spacers though

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 pm 

He's got a SiSL crank not a SRamO :roll:

I'm interested in the final verdit too - I've started to help a friend piece together a similar build and not sure how to advise him on the SiSL+ BB-PF situation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:21 am 

Nothing is different. Install it like you would a regular BB30 frame.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:41 am 

Oops, I ment to say Sram PF30 BB. I'm not really aware of any other companies making pf30 bbs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 am 

durkonion wrote:

Isn't the difference between BB30 and PF 30 that with BB30 the cannondale cups and bears get pressed directly into the frame and also have circlips to make sure they don't go in too far, where as PF 30 their is some sort of plastic sleeve in between the bearing and the bottom bracket shell?

If thats correct then you'd at least need the plastic part(s)

Styrrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:58 am 
Shop Owner

as nitropowered said, you purchase a PF30 bottom bracket. that will come with the plastic 46mm sleeves with 30mm id bearings inside them, some SRAM pf30-specific bearing shields that clear their supplementary seals (already installed over the bearings), a wavy washer, and some preload spacers.
besides that, you provide the crank and the bottom bracket spindle/axle/whatever.

then, it all goes together just like any bb30 crank.

in summary, PF30 is a bottom bracket/frame dimensions designation. pf30 frames, and pf30 bottom brackets, take bb30 cranks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:07 pm 

thisisatest wrote:
as nitropowered said, you purchase a PF30 bottom bracket. that will come with the plastic 46mm sleeves with 30mm id bearings inside them, some SRAM pf30-specific bearing shields that clear their supplementary seals (already installed over the bearings), a wavy washer, and some preload spacers.
besides that, you provide the crank and the bottom bracket spindle/axle/whatever.

then, it all goes together just like any bb30 crank.

in summary, PF30 is a bottom bracket/frame dimensions designation. pf30 frames, and pf30 bottom brackets, take bb30 cranks.

Thanks, that helps. Other questions, are their any alternatives to the SRAM BB cups? Not that I think there is any thing wrong with SRAM, but just like to know if there are alternatives. 2nd I assume this means that the bearings/cups that come with the SiSL crank wont be needed?

Styrrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:59 pm 

The BB30 bearings that you will get with your SISL cranks don't use cups....they press directly into a BB30 compatible frame. So, on your PF30 compatible frame, you won't need the bearings or the C-clips (that act as the backstop for the bearings) that are probably coming with your SISL crank...instead, you need a PF30 BB.

What PF30 did was take the loose BB30 bearings, and instead of having them pressed directly into the frame, they put them in a plastic sleeve (much like the old style headsets, but instead of metal cups, they used plastic). So, you press the PF30 bearings/cups into a PF30 compatible frame.

What this effectively did was allow frame manufacturers to have a less than perfect circle to put "BB30 crank compatible" bearings in by putting them in a plastic sleeve, that then pressed into the frame. Without tight manufacturing tolerances, if the BB30 frames didn't have perfect circles to press the bearings directly into (no cups), they would creak. The plastic sleeve cup with PF30 allows the manufacturing imperfections to be taken up by the plastic shell.

So, it's the BB of the frame that either is BB30 or PF30 compatible...either uses a BB30 crank.

I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding...I just purchased my first BB30 frame and used the SISL crank...I have followed with interest the PF30 evolution, because the SISL is expensive, and I didn't want to have to discard if PF30 evolved into the new standard....based on my understanding, that is not the case....the SISL crank will work in BB30 or PF30 compatible frames.

If I've said anything wrong, others I'm sure will correct.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 pm 

styrrell wrote:
durkonion wrote:

Isn't the difference between BB30 and PF 30 that with BB30 the cannondale cups and bears get pressed directly into the frame and also have circlips to make sure they don't go in too far, where as PF 30 their is some sort of plastic sleeve in between the bearing and the bottom bracket shell?

If thats correct then you'd at least need the plastic part(s)

Styrrell

Whoops, sorry. I thought you had the BB and were wondering how to install the cranks.

Yes, you do need a different bottom bracket for PF30 compared to BB30, but the crank installation is the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:26 pm 
Shop Owner

fsa makes a pf30 bottom bracket. it looks to be compatible with pf30, bbright, and bb386 frames by way of a sliding center sleeve, which is handy if you have to stock the parts. they used the same bearing shields between their pf30 and bb30 setups, unlike sram.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm 

durkonion wrote:
Yes, you do need a different bottom bracket for PF30 compared to BB30, but the crank installation is the same.

Although BB30 and PF30 are similar, BB30 uses bearing drifts which are inserted into the bearing in order to press them into the bottom bracket shell whereas PF30 is pressed in the like a standard headset. Using the BB30 bearing drifts on a PF30 bottom bracket will result in damaging the PF30 bottom bracket rendering it unuseable not to mention if you dont own a Park Tool RT-1 headset cup remover or equivalent, you will find it very difficult to remove a PF30 bottom bracket.

Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am 

HSC Ceramics now make a PF30 BB with ceramic bearings too in case you were looking for an alternative to truvativ and fsa. I have no experience with HSC other than that I know they exist and some people claim they are pretty good?

Cheers

HillBilly

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am